Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expats: What products do you miss from Ireland?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

The longer I'm here, I miss less and less tbh. But for me, I miss Cidona. Sparkling Cider doesn't have quite the same taste. Stop N' Shop in my area now carries a good but small sampling of Irish products.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A quality Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

FatherTed wrote: »
    The longer I'm here, I miss less and less tbh. But for me, I miss Cidona. Sparkling Cider doesn't have quite the same taste. Stop N' Shop in my area now carries a good but small sampling of Irish products.

That's it for me. 13 years in and the only thing I could do with a monthly shipment of is Tayto cheese and onion. But seriously, the US has so many other and better 'must have' foods that make up for what I occasionally miss.

As for Guinness, I'm not so sure anymore. Lots of great pubs serving great pints of Guinness near me. But I never drink it. Why would I, when US beer is so much better? Having said that, guess what first pint I'll have on the next visit home?

I realize my opinion comes off as 'the US is just SO much better', but that's not the case. Only when it comes to food and drink.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Miss rashers and home brewed Guinness (not that licensed stuff brewed in another country).

Found a good source for KerryGold at Trader Joe's... Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Miss rashers and home brewed Guinness (not that licensed stuff brewed in another country).

Found a good source for KerryGold at Trader Joe's... Yummy!

True about TraderJoes, I just came from there 10 minutes ago :p
    Also, at Costco the other day was a huge section of Kerrygold butter, cheeses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

They love the Kerrygold over here, its great!

I miss breakfast rolls and deli food. I know we have Mexican food instead with burritos and carne asada but I really miss my rasher, sausage and ketchup fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

FatherTed wrote: »
    True about TraderJoes, I just came from there 10 minutes ago :p
    Also, at Costco the other day was a huge section of Kerrygold butter, cheeses etc.

The Kerrygold sure gets around, I found it in a supermarket in Tobago for christ's sake, TOBAGO!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

ro_chez wrote: »
    The Kerrygold sure gets around, I found it in a supermarket in Tobago for christ's sake, TOBAGO!

I found it in China!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Good, strong tea (been lucky and found a local gas station that sells Barry's tea!), and plain tea biscuit. Husband misses rashers (I ama vegetarian).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oh... I miss Barry's tea! Anyone know of a source in the States, preferably in Southern California?

Oh... I miss Barry's tea! Anyone know of a source in the States, preferably in Southern California?

Do you have White Oaks gas stations near you? They have it around here, also Tayto crisps and such things. Also some Whole Foods carry it. If you can't find any, I'd be willing to ship (cheaper than having it shipped from Ireland...), just PM me.

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    Also some Whole Foods carry it.

Oh... I think I might have seen their market a few miles from here. Thanks for the tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

dave2pvd wrote: »
    That's it for me. 13 years in and the only thing I could do with a monthly shipment of is Tayto cheese and onion. But seriously, the US has so many other and better 'must have' foods that make up for what I occasionally miss.

As for Guinness, I'm not so sure anymore. Lots of great pubs serving great pints of Guinness near me. But I never drink it. Why would I, when US beer is so much better? Having said that, guess what first pint I'll have on the next visit home?

I realize my opinion comes off as 'the US is just SO much better', but that's not the case. Only when it comes to food and drink.

The Guinness you get in the States is brewed in Canada and not Dublin, so there is a difference, but it is getting better.

Tayto is the only thing i can think of that i cant get here. Coming back to the US after this Christmas, my mum filled my carry on bag with so much Cheese and Onion Taytos, that i had to carry my laptop in my hands while boarding the plane. The benefits of living in Boston, is that my local corner shop sells Lucozade, Galtee Rashers and Sausages, Bacholar Baked beans, digestives, etc. TBH the only thing i actually buy is Barry's tea, its the only thing i couldnt live without.

Although at the moment, I have a minor flu so i'm taking the CVS Mixed Berry Cold and Flu sachets, even tho it does the trick for the flu, it tastes manck. I'd murder a Lemsip right about now.

This website apparently delivers to all of the US with irish foods (i've never used it so dont now how good it is):
    http://www.foodireland.com lol you can even order Fairy washing up liquid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I forgot one: Nurofen Plus.

Much easier to transport than Taytos!

nurofen-plus.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Also these:
    jacobs%20elite%20chocolate%20kimberley.jpg
    Hazys wrote: »
    This website apparently delivers to all of the US with irish foods (i've never used it so dont now how good it is):

I understand missing various food and drink. But Fairy Liquid???

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I miss Potato Waffles and Cadbury's Mint Crisp and Golden Crisps. That's about it though.

Oh! Potato farls!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Almond Fingers and Viscounts.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its not like I miss them all that much but whenever I go back to ireland I have at least one malteaser blowout...

I'll eat three or four big bags until my teeth hurt and i'm feeling sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I have been lucky, living in NH I take trips to Boston (Brighton area) for food. I have found sausage, rashers ham and assorts of other good stuff (in Kiki's and Faneuil st market). Recently I won a $100 voucher on Tommy Moloney's and even manage to find ham ribs!! I guess you need to look around.
    The big thing is the chipper, and proper chips (not crisps). I love to see the revulsion on the yanks when I put chips on a sandwich :D My girlfriend has yet to understand this. There used to be one in Brighton but it closed. Proper butcher's are harder to come by but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

Batch loaf
    thats about it , after 25 yrs can't even remember the taste of half the stuff I would have eaten back there

• Advertisement

InTheTrees: I found Whoppers quite similar to Maltesers.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

silja wrote: »
    InTheTrees: I found Whoppers quite similar to Maltesers.

No, just no.

Don't fall for it! Nothing like Maltesers.

ha ha ha!!

I tried the whopper route early on and they're... different...

bizzaro malteasers. A pale imitation.

And wtf is up with the sweets names:

A mars bar is a marathon and a snickers is a mars and a marathon is a snickers...

I can never keep it straight and avoid them all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hazys wrote: »

I used to use this to ship "Care Packages" to an ex pat mate of mine. Haven't used them in a while, but I can recommend them from back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Batch loaf
    thats about it , after 25 yrs can't even remember the taste of half the stuff I would have eaten back there

Picking a couple of loaves of brennans batch meself later today in Boston mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Black Swan wrote: »

I used to get Dilmah tea from Sri Lanka up in Vancouver. Its really nice and quite strong. Ive seen it in the States as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was back home last week and stocked up. My extra bag was full of Tayto, soda bread and tea on the way back. I had some euros left over so grabbed some more crisps in the Loop duty free place and stuffed some more in my carry on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Black Swan wrote: »

I'm yet to find a Meijer supermarket that doesn't carry Barry's.

If that fails.......www.foodireland.com carries everything, even if it is at a premium price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Picking a couple of loaves of brennans batch meself later today in Boston mmmm

Sounds good.
    I think it's more of the smell I remember walking down to St Catherines bakery off Thomas Street and grabbing a fresh loaf as it came out of the ovens.
    The bakery is long gone now.

Advertisement