Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the "Safety" vans?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:01pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

There's a similar thread running in another region thread which I frequent, it's handy as a head-up regarding the "safety" camera vans. So far I've been home a bit more then usual this month but I only saw my first one today around Rinbane, pulled into a gap on the left hand side as I was heading towards Tubbercurry. Thankfully I was comfortably under the limit.

Are there any other spots that people are spotting them regularly, are any of you using Trapster or similar apps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

And Rinbane is where exactly?

I've not seen any, then again I was only home for a short period over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I spotted my first one yesterday just before you leave the dual carriageway and move onto to the M6 outside Athlone. So why were the gobsh1tes parked there I asked myself, fcuking money grabbers. It's a fine stretch of road and I'm certainly not aware of any accidents on the stretch in the last couple of years. Also I saw no sign that are supposed to warn you of these zones. I was under the limit and in the opposite carriageway anyway.
    Unmarked white Gatso van in Ballinacarrow last week, but then again they always 'haunt' Ballinacarrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

bobcar61 wrote: »
    And Rinbane is where exactly?

I've not seen any, then again I was only home for a short period over Christmas.

Rinbane is between Ballinacarrow and Tubbercurry. This van today was parked a wee bit down the road from the turn off for Temple House/Bunninadden

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I spotted my first one yesterday just before you leave the dual carriageway and move onto to the M6 outside Athlone. So why were the gobsh1tes parked there I asked myself, fcuking money grabbers. It's a fine stretch of road and I'm certainly not aware of any accidents on the stretch in the last couple of years. Also I saw no sign that are supposed to warn you of these zones. I was under the limit and in the opposite carriageway anyway.
    Unmarked white Gatso van in Ballinacarrow last week, but then again they always 'haunt' Ballinacarrow.

As well as the Gasto vans, which acording to the guards and company contracted to catch offender, their locations are supposed to be marked/signposted before you approach them.

Also on the roads there are other vans reserching or surveying for futher sites, appartently these one only monitor and do not photograph, and are not used to catch offenders. Could it have been one of these vans you seen?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

irish-stew wrote: »
    As well as the Gasto vans, which acording to the guards and company contracted to catch offender, their locations are supposed to be marked/signposted before you approach them.

Also on the roads there are other vans reserching or surveying for futher sites, appartently these one only monitor and do not photograph, could it have been one of these vans you seen?

I have seen numerous Gatso vans since the roll-out, (none of which were surveying as they were all the ones with "GARDA" or Camera icons printed on them) and not one had any class of warning signage posted prior to approaching them. I travel approx 1000 miles (yes miles) a week and see them all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Tell me about it, I got caught there nearly 5 years ago now. I overtook a van just on the Ballinacarrow side of that diner between Achonry and Ballinacarrow(can't think of the name of it) and then I saw the blue lights come on :( Pulled in beside the football pitch at Achonry where it was safe and when I knew those lights were for me. Anyways, they told me I was caught coming down by the church into Ballinacarrow :(

irish-stew wrote: »

Also on the roads there are other vans reserching or surveying for futher sites, appartently these one only monitor and do not photograph, and are not used to catch offenders. Could it have been one of these vans you seen?

No definitely not a survey van, I actually had no traffic on my side of the carriageway when I saw the 'go safe' van. So I slowed right down and checked it out. The white Gatso van is always parked opposite Fallon's garage in Ballinacarrow btw.

Tell me about it, I got caught there nearly 5 years ago now. I overtook a van just on the Ballinacarrow side of that diner between Achonry and Ballinacarrow(can't think of the name of it)(

That's the Roadside Inn, when done correctly it's one of the safest overtaking stretches along that route. And as usual that's were the Garda will usually be.
    Pulled in beside the football pitch at Achonry where it was safe and when I knew those lights were for me.

That's another favourite spot of theirs, they tuck in real tight at the GAA pitch. What's most annoying though is, people overtake the twit doing 60Kph in a 100Kph zone and then they get nabbed. Surely the incompetent who is incapable of driving remotely near the speed limit should be pulled aside?

Advertisement