Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry to Nursing! Who else is applying

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

So who else is applying this year? I'm just finishing off my application tonight and will have it sent off by the end of the week :)

Hoping to do general in either Trinity or UCD. Read in the CAO booklet there is no interview this year for mature applicants
    As of 2011, the mature nursing/midwifery selection process will no longer have a requirement for an interview.

It's on page 4 if anyone fancies a read, so it's going solely on the aptitude test now. Good news for some I suppose :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Best of Luck Will!! :)

Edit: Nursing is also very good in DCU. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Cheers :) Went to DCU previously. Not my most favourite of places anymore :pac:

Yeah, I thought so! But the school of Nursing there is very good!!

Tis very good indeed. Just finished off my application there. Should be sorted by the weekend. Wooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I applied last year guys, and got in :):). I'm in UL and loving it. Well done on taking the leap. ANd best of luck in your aptitude test. I went to the career services day last year and found it fantastic. Even just for confidence alone it was well worth it.

• Advertisement

Congratulations :) At the moment I'm trying to figure out how much money I've to fork out as I already have a basic degree (found out, it's 7,260 a year). How you enjoying first year? Any placements done yet?

ouch..... I do know a few in my year who are paying that. They hit the credit union. First year is brilliant. I just got my exam results this morning and I was super delighted. Got 3 A's and 2 B's woohoo. We did a 4 week placement in november and it was really enjoyable. Our next placement is is april, so roll on april.

Have a look at your finances, see what you can manage. I left a full-time well paid job to come back. I got no financial help I just saved up as much as I could, and now i've a little part time job that keeps me going. I thought I'd sink under the stress of the financing, but everything has fallen into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 folane

I've applied to do midwifery in TCD or UCD!!!

Trying to find the right aptitude tests, any ideas where i might find the right ones??? :)

Hey Will, we could share classes!!! :)

I applied to both Trinity & UCD also for general nursing, general & paeds, and psych :) Just finished off the online app there tonight. Sending documents on friday morning on my day off.

Think there are one or two documents on the http://www.nursingboard.ie/ website regarding the aptitude test

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I got into nursing & paeds las year in DCU. I know you may not like DCU anymore but you won't be on campus that much! Placement takes up most of the course and I would strongly advise that you base your decision on what hospitals the universities work with, that's what I did & it makes getting in for 7am a little easier!

Trinity work with James & Tallaght. Tallaght children's hospital is where they do their paeds.
    UCD work with Vincent's & the Mater. Crumlin is where they do their paeds.
    DCU work with Connolly hospital, Beaumont and the Mater. Temple street is where they do their paeds.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Actually, where you do your placements is a very big deciding factor and you should look into that.

Forgot about the Laydee! :)

Yeah I actually chose the other 2 colleges cos they are way closer to me and also their placements are too :)

Anyone know when we're meant to hear about the aptitude test? I've heard nothing but I believe it's at the beginning of April :-/

Hi will from what i remember we received our letter that confirmed our application around week 2 in march. Then i think in week 3 you log on to the pas website and enter your app number and your given a time and centre to attend. I think it's Apr 9th this yr if that's a Saturday. The letter you receive will direct you to log on to pas on a particular day. You'll print a letter from that. But if you go through the nursing careers handbook for 2011 it gives you a date schedule for each step. Hope that helps. I can't check for certain as I'm on the mobile.

Yup invites are being sent out on the 11th - here's a link for people http://www.nursingcareers.ie/images/ContentBuilder/NACFY%20booklet%202011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi everybody!

Just wanted to say hi! I applied last year but sadly didn't get it so I've been doing an introduction to nursing course which has been great! Like you smilerxxx, I left a well paid job and struggling financially but I'm praying everything will fall into place ;-)!!! Reading that yous are getting on so well in the course it great - very encouraging!

Not looking forward to the aptitude test on Saturday but went to the day course and found it really helpful!

All the best and heres hoping - you too Will!

Thanks, best of luck to all sitting the aptitude test

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spooky2009

How did everyone get on today? I think I did OK, besides the maths part,but I answered everything even if it was just a guess! There isn't negative marking right?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mum79

spooky2009 wrote: »
    How did everyone get on today? I think I did OK, besides the maths part,but I answered everything even if it was just a guess! There isn't negative marking right?!

Hi Spooky2009,
    I thought it wasnt too bad but I didnt finish the maths or the last question on scenarios. Not sure if that will go against me. Its really hard to tell in these tests how you did becasue it depends on how well everyone else did. Do you know what date the results are out in May?

Hi guys!

So glad it is over!!!!! yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Anyway, I think the results will be ready online on the 6th May - its says in that little orange book they sent out.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Hi spooky2009
    No negative marking - you can relax.

I think I did ok in it, not sure. Missed out on 8 questions - 2 in the word association and 6 in the maths. I've heard it's pretty normal not to get em all finished though so I'm told. Not worrying either way as it's done now :)

Some dude got a bit cheesed off after one of the exams and went up to the invigilator there. Couldn't hear what was going on but was entertaining between the gaps in tests.

thanks ithread ,that's a relief :)
    Just wondering - does the course you're doing guarantee you a place in nursing, or is it just for experience? I haven't heard of before but if I'm not successful this year, it's something I'll have to luck into!
    Good luck to everyone & roll on the 6th.

Hi spooky2009

No guarantees with the course unfortunately - its just good experience and you get to do a 2 week placement. Theres a few colleges that do the one year nursing studies course. One advantage is that you can apply through fetac as well as the mature route but I have heard you have to be getting distinctions in all the modules before they will even accept you? Plus fetac places are few!!!

Roll on the 6th - I second that!

Must have been in the different hall from you Will!!! A few people in mine were made to rub out answers they put in after the woman said 'stop pencils down'!! That wasn't so funny - felt sorry for them a bit!

I was on the 4th floor at the 9am exam, aisle 3. The invigilators seemed nice enough, no one was made rub out answers though so you musta been on the 5th floor. People were talking however, and repeated requests were asked of them to be quiet.

Few people were on the wrong floor after queuing up to get registered, don't know how they coulda mixed it up, said clearly on the forms what floor you were on.

Roll on the 6th indeed, I'm wondering if the scores will be drastically different this year - as last year they included the interview. So it's probably likely that scores won't be as high this year compared to last years.

I wonder what the scores will be too!!! I didn't realise people were on both floors, I was in the Hogan Suite -starting to wonder how many matures applied this year??? Last year it was in and around 2200. Maybe its best not too wonder!!!

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 melly85

hiya.. i also sat the aptitude test for mature nursing.. the results of the test are out on 6th may... does anyone know when we will be notified if we have succeeded in gaining a place in the college?? is it online or by letter in the post?? thanks !! xx

Hi, I'm not sure of an exact date but in the CAO handbook it says "In early July, offers of places may be issued to applicants such as mature nursing/midwifery code applicants". But offers may be made later to fill any vacancies. Good luck!
    Does anyone know if the paid work in the final year is still cut?:confused:

Hi guys

Last year there were several rounds of offers starting in early July with round 0 which was mainly for mature students I think. Looks like its different this year. There is some info here, under Key dates:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/applying_to_college/application_procedures_and_entry_requirements.html

Another website says Round A for non-standard applicants early July???

Spooky2009 - not sure of the pay cuts but you can keep up to date here:
    http://www.inmo.ie/INMOPage_3_7131.aspx

Hope it helps!

• Advertisement

You should have a good idea by the points you get for the aptitude test whether you are gonna get a place or not I imagine.

Advertisement