Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry to Nursing! Who else is applying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scaffrey82

I wonder in written feedback we get will be any wiser as to if we getting a place.. chances are not.. so we will have to wait till July to really know I suppose. As people have applied for different courses in different areas its very hard to try to work out the chances of getting a place really.

True, no way to guess.... but safe to say anyone with the higher number on the merit list has less of a chance compared with those who have a lower number .... whats meant for each of us wont pass us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

melly85 wrote: »
    hi , well i got my result.. 205. what does this mean?? so confused.. can anybody explain this to me.. thanks x
    My wife asked me to post on here for here (she doesn't have an account). She also got 205 which has her a little confused. Is it possible for two people to have the same ranking?

Actually I just explained to her how people can both have the same rank and how it should work;
    204 x
    205 melly
    205 Mrs. unpossible
    207 y

Should have paid more attention to what she was calling out before posting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lisa dingle

hi, i have been placed 122 on the list, i am quite happy with that, i don't know if it will be enough to secure a place or not, but i am going to be quietly optimistic :)

well done to everyone who made it onto the order of merit list

Unpossible wrote: »
    My wife asked me to post on here for here (she doesn't have an account). She also got 205 which has her a little confused. Is it possible for two people to have the same ranking?

Well I wondered about that, surely there are a lot of people who got the same score, so would they rank one above the other in order or merit ... ? i.e. if 2 people got a score of 170, would they rank one at 200 and one at 201 for example? ....

hi unpossible, yes it is possible to have the same score, i rang public jobs morning and this is what i was told....

if two people are joint first, then the next person after those 2 people will be in 3rd place... it does not matter how many people share the one spot, the same amount of people will be ahead of you....... i hope this makes sense!

she said that there were 121 people ahead of me on the list and i am placed 122, i know of 3 people who are sharing 75 on the list.

• Advertisement

hi unpossible, yes it is possible to have the same score, i rang public jobs morning and this is what i was told....

if two people are joint first, then the next person after those 2 people will be in 3rd place... it does not matter how many people share the one spot, the same amount of people will be ahead of you....... i hope this makes sense!

she said that there were 121 people ahead of me on the list and i am placed 122, i know of 3 people who are sharing 75 on the list.
    Yes, I gave an example in my edit.

Is there anyone from previous years that got a place on a course and can tell us what their order of merit was ... might give us some hope :-)

thank you unimpossible for pointing that out. i was possibly typing as you were editing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

hi guys just reading yer posts and i can remember all the feelings the waiting was the worst! my heart goes out to yee!

Last year I got 165 and I got my second choice of psychiatric nursing in ucc, But we had interviews and so i dunno if that makes a difference. The universities have points so our overall scores were put towards that for example ucc was 167 (i think) for general last year so our points system was based on that so if u scored over that u got a place Im not sure about your system!
    Sorry if im confusing you!

But with one year down im glad to say it was the best decision i ever made, I love my course and my classmates are brilliant so best of luck to u all and i hope you get what you want!

i must get back to my study now ive exams starting on monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spooky2009

Thanks lisa d and mr impossible for explaining that ...it has finally clicked and now I feel alot more confident about being offered a place! :o

• Advertisement

Poor me up at place 637 lol .... maybe it wasn't meant to be this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Spud5467

Kinda feel somewhat on the fence at 177 but I'm happy with how I did.

Does anybody know about changing courses? Have trinity on the list but received a letter saying I won't be called for interview (fools lol).The information on cao isn't the clearest and when I submitted the changes warned me about changing restricted courses.

Cheers :) and good luck to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lapadapalap

how do i find out my results have been trying to look them up online with no joy??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Spud5467

how do i find out my results have been trying to look them up online with no joy??
    http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/campaign/nursingResults.do

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Subsxxxx

Hi guys, I got a score of 75 and at first I thought, that is not bad, until I saw some others with lower scores on Rollercoaster. Now, I see that the order of merit doesnt follow sequentially but there may be others at 75. So many unknows doesn't leave me very confident. Roll on feedback day. Publicjobs are a disgrace not letting us have all this info on same day. It is just another couple of clicks of a button and we could have the info!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'd a nose on rollercoaster also, most of them are applying for midwifery which automatically bumps me up the list as I've applied for general and paeds in UCD/Trinity then general as the same. It takes them out of the equation.

An example I'm working out hungover, made up names of course

Jenny - order of merit 1 - course applied for midfwifery in UCD
    James - order of merit 2 - course applied for psychiatric in Cork
    Joey - order of merit 3 - course applied for midfwifery in UL
    Liam - order of merit 4 - course applied for general in UCD
    Teresa - order of merit 5 - course applied for midfwifery in UCD

So basically Jenny gets her first choice as she's numero uno on the list. This removes her from the order of merit and takes one mature applicant place off the midwifery course in UCD only. The other midwifery courses have not been touched and still have a full complement of mature code place available.

So even if you are further down the list and no one has picked the course you want to do in the college you want to attend you may get it. For example Liam picked General in UCD, he was the first to pick it. The 3 ladies in my made up example all picked midwifery, but all in different colleges so they will get their places.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Soho

Well done to everyone, there are some great results and you are in with a great chance. My second year to apply, no luck last year and I got 573 this year..so not optimistic that there is a chance. I don't know what to think now!! Keep praying for a miracle........

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

It's my second time applying too, & I got 686 Not very hopeful about that either :(

Is anyone else trying to figure out the probability that they will get chosen? My wife and I are disecting the figures on how many places are available, the amount of people who took the exam in cork in relation to the rest of the country and how many of those people would have applied for Tralee, trying to guess what % she is in and would that get her into one of the few places for Tralee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Unpossible wrote: »
    Is anyone else trying to figure out the probability that they will get chosen? My wife and I are disecting the figures on how many places are available, the amount of people who took the exam in cork in relation to the rest of the country and how many of those people would have applied for Tralee, trying to guess what % she is in and would that get her into one of the few places for Tralee :D

Do you know how many mature students applied throughout the country?

• Advertisement

Somebody earlier in this thread said 3000, not sure where they got the number from. We are going off that and how many she roughly estimates took the cork exam. Its just a bit of fun and we are throwing wild numbers around.

I tried doing the same but my maths skills aren't up to scratch anymore. I'm pretty much garaunteed general in either UCD or Trinity as the chances of the people in front of me all picking general in either colleges is non existant. I put general and paeds down as my first choice though and there's only like 1 or 2 places in each college for mature students on that course. So if 4 people ahead of me pick any of those two colleges and course I won't get it.
    There are 44 programmes with a total of 1570 places in Nursing and Midwifery at pre-registration level:

Children’s and General Nursing (Integrated): 4.5 years leading to BSc plus RCN & RGN
    4 Programmes, with a total of 100 places, in 4 HEIs in association with 4 main Healthcare Agencies

General Nursing: 4 years leading to BSc plus RGN
    14 Programmes, with a total of 860 places, in 13 HEIs in association with 22 main Healthcare Agencies

Intellectual Disability Nursing: 4 years leading to BSc plus RNID
    8 Programmes, with a total of 180 places, in 8 HEIs in association with 10 main Healthcare Agencies

Midwifery: 4 years leading to BSc plus RM
    6 Programmes, with a total of 140 places, in 6 HEIs in association with 7 main Healthcare Agencies

Psychiatric Nursing: 4 years leading to BSc plus RPN
    12 Programmes, with a total of 290 places, in 12 HEIs in association with 14 main Healthcare Agencies.

Quota of Places
    A quota of places is allocated to mature code applicants.

As a guide only, this is approximately:

• 15% for children’s and general nursing (integrated) programmes
    • 15% for general nursing programmes
    • 35% for intellectual disability nursing programmes
    • 20% for midwifery programmes
    • 35% for psychiatric nursing programmes.

However, this is a dynamic quota and it may vary.

Nationwide here is the break down for places for mature applicants, as said above it's dynamic though and can/will change depending on the year. This is for all the colleges

Childrens - 15% = 15 spots for mature student applicants
    General - 15% = 153 spots for mature applicants
    ID - 35% = 63 spots for mature applicants
    Midwifery - 20% = 28 spots for mature applicants
    Psych - 35% = 101/102 spots for mature applicants

So in total there are 361 places available.

This is a bit messy but basically it shows how many places are available to mature students broken down by course and college

College speciality places quota places for mature students

Athlone IT General 35 15% 5.25
    Athlone IT Psych 15 35% 5.25
    DCU Paeds 30 15% 4.50
    DCU General 87 15% 13.05
    DCU ID 40 35% 14.00
    DCU Psych 60 35% 21.00
    Dkit General 40 15% 6.00
    Dkit ID 20 35% 7.00
    Dkit Midwifery 20 20% 4.00
    Dkit Psych 20 35% 7.00
    GMit general 25 15% 3.75
    GMit psych 15 35% 5.25
    Tralee general 50 15% 7.50
    Tralee psych 15 35% 5.25
    Letterkenny general 25 15% 3.75
    Letterkenny ID 15 35% 5.25
    Letterkenny Psych 20 35% 7.00
    NUIG general 60 15% 9.00
    NUIG midwifery 20 20% 4.00
    NUIG psych 15 35% 5.25
    Sligo general 30 15% 4.50
    Sligo ID 15 35% 5.25
    TCD paeds 20 15% 3.00
    TCD general 106 15% 15.90
    TCD general (adelaide) 33 15% 4.95
    TCD ID 30 35% 10.50
    TCD midwifery 40 20% 8.00
    TCD psych 45 35% 15.75
    UCC paeds 20 15% 3.00
    UCC general 110 15% 16.50
    UCC ID 20 35% 7.00
    UCC midwifery 20 20% 4.00
    UCC psych 20 35% 7.00
    UCD paeds 30 15% 4.50
    UCD general 164 15% 24.60
    UCD midwifery 20 20% 4.00
    UCD psych 15 35% 5.25
    UL general 50 15% 7.50
    UL ID 20 35% 7.00
    UL midwifery 20 20% 4.00
    UL psych 20 35% 7.00
    WIT general 45 15% 6.75
    WIT ID 20 35% 7.00
    WIT Psych 30 35% 10.50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Daizee

Hi all,

I was wondering are there any i.d. nursing students on here, or anyone else who could give me an insight into what i.d. nursing involves, i've read alittle on it but am hoping to get a better idea of what is involved.

Many thanks.

Will wrote: »
    This is a bit messy but basically it shows how many places are available to mature students broken down by course and college
    Tralee general 50 15% 7.50
    Great to see all of the places listed out, we had calculated 8 places for Tralee assuming they round up.

Hope this works now.
    Quota means quota for mature students on that particular course.
    Will round em out as needed, this isn't concrete as it says in the handbook the quotas can go up or down.

College|Speciality|Places|Quota|Places for mature
    Athlone IT|General|35|15%|5.00
    Athlone IT|Psych|15|35%|5.00
    DCU|Paeds|30|15%|5.00
    DCU|General|87 |15%|13.00
    DCU|ID|40|35%|14.00
    DCU|Psych| 60|35%|21.00
    Dkit|General|40|15%|6.00
    Dkit|ID|20|35%|7.00
    Dkit|Midwifery|20|20%|4.00
    Dkit|Psych|20|35%|7.00
    GMit|general|25|15%|4.00
    GMit|psych|15|35%|5.00
    Tralee|general|50|15%|8.00
    Tralee|psych|15|35%|5.00
    Letterkenny|general|25|15%|4.00
    Letterkenny|ID|15|35%|5.00
    Letterkenny|Psych|20|35%|7.00
    NUIG|general|60|15%|9.00
    NUIG|midwifery|20|20%|4.00
    NUIG|psych|15|35%|5.00
    Sligo|general|30|15%|5.00
    Sligo|ID|15|35%|5.00
    TCD|paeds|20|15%|3.00
    TCD|general|106|15%|16.00
    TCD|generaladelaide|33|15%|5.00
    TCD|ID|30|35%|11.00
    TCD|midwifery|40|20%|8.00
    TCD|psych|45|35%|16.00
    UCC|paeds|20|15%|3.00
    UCC|general|110|15%|17.00
    UCC|ID|20|35%|7.00
    UCC|midwifery|20|20%|4.00
    UCC|psych|20|35%|7.00
    UCD|paeds|30|15%|5.00
    UCD|general|164|15%|25.00
    UCD|midwifery|20|20%|4.00
    UCD|psych|15|35%|5.00
    UL|general|50|15%|8.00
    UL|ID|20|35%|7.00
    UL|midwifery|20|20%|4.00
    UL|psych|20|35%|7.00
    WIT|general|45|15%|7.00
    WIT|ID|20|35%|7.00
    WIT|Psych|30|35%|11.00
    Total places|-|-|-|337

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Wow Will - you've been number crunching ha! Does that mean there is only 59 general places for mature nursing in Dublin - between TCD, UCD and DCU? Oh man - its low no?

Just did it up on excel (studied comp sci previously), hardest part was figuring out the code to put it in a table on here :)

Yeah 59 places if you include the adelaide. 54 if you remove that course. I'm trying to figure out the chances of getting into paeds. 16 places nationwide (DCU, UCD, UCC and Trinity), I only applied to UCD and Trinity. Need to brush up on my probability >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Well good luck Will - you have a great place on the order of Merit at 40! I applied last year and just missed out, got 75 on the order of Merit so have all fingers and toes crossed!

Does it mean if 3 people get the best possible score they will be order of merit 1 and then the next person to get the second highest score would be order of merit 4 etc..?

I have applied for General in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Dundalk. Also applied to UK too! Keep all the options open!

Roll on end of May so we can find out a bit more!!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the order of merit thing really, they documentation isn't really clear. If you've applied to general everywhere I'd say you've a good chance because not everyone will be applying for it who is ahead of you, a lot will be applying for midwifery and the other disciplines. But again it's really just a case of waiting for the offers to come out and see what happens :)

Advertisement