Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back up Windows vista

• 19-01-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My computer doesnt seem to be seeing the external iomega hdd either. Is there anything i should be doing but plug it in? The manual says it should run straight away when connected, othere usb devices have no problem working

Comments

what edition do u have? Starter,Home Basic and Home Premium dont have complete pc backup. Business,Enterprise and Ultimate do

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

Home edition

there lies the problem, there is loads of software you can buy to do the job such as

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

as i said there is a few so have a look around see which one you fancy

I have a 1tb iomega hdd but its not showing up in the my computer drive, explorer or any where else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

martin g wrote: »
    I have a 1tb iomega hdd but its not showing up in the my computer drive, explorer or any where else...

is the drive formatted? if its not u may need to go to the management console in control panel then disk management and look for the drive there then create an ntfs partition and format it before it will show up in your my computer section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

there lies the problem, there is loads of software you can buy to do the job such as

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

as i said there is a few so have a look around see which one you fancy

I think clarification is needed:

All versions of Windows Vista allow you to backup your files. However only Business, Enterprise and Ultimate allow you to make a system image of your computer. :)

Windows Vista - Methods for backing up your files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

is the drive formatted? if its not u may need to go to the management console in control panel then disk management and look for the drive there then create an ntfs partition and format it before it will show up in your my computer section

^^^ This basically - if the drive isn't showing up then by going into disk management you should be able to see the drive there.

It will probably show up as Disk 1 at the bottom of the screen - if this is the case you'll probably have to mark the partition as active and then you can format it with ntfs as Nothingbetter2d said

The external dirve isnt showing up in the disk management and when i plug the usb in, the drive dosent show up anywhere in the c drive, explorer, disk management...

Try connecting the drive to a different computer. If it does work then you can format it there. If it doesn't try using a different USB cable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Also try connecting the drive before you switch on the PC - long shot but it's happened people I know before.

• Advertisement

Ive tried to connect it to another computer and had the usb plugged in while i rebooted it but that didnt work either... i dont know what to try now

Sorry to bug you on this, but have you tried a different USB cable?

I dont have any other type b usb cables so i cant try it

Do you have any friends with USB external hard disk drives? They usually all use the same kind of USB cable, if you could borrow one off them and give yours a go with it then you can rule out the USB cable. Even a PC repair shop would probably let you try the drive with one of their cables and computers.

If the USB cable still works, and the drive's still in warranty, I'd send it back to the manufacturer or where you bought it. :)

Ill try that thanks guys...

Advertisement