Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swapping out the cpu E6600->Q6600. Reinstall OS?

• 19-01-2011 8:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I've just got my hands on a quad core (Q6600)
    I'm all set take out my trusty old dual core (E6600)

I was hoping someone could tell me if I'll have to reinstall win 7 64 and all my programs.

If it's not necessary (I'm hoping/presuming I won't), will there be any drawbacks if I don't?

Thanks for reading
    and thanks in advance for any response.

Ps. Motherboard is GA-965p-S3 rev.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

YES....

i would....

however, i could explain but this does it for me! :D
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/229961-35-motherboard-change-install

A processor change is grand, Windows will recognise the new cores without any hassle. Depending on how many hardware changes you've made you might need to reactivate but in most cases you're fine.

About the previous link, most of the comments are referring to motherboard replacement, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. It can be made work but often causes problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No need for a re-install, just make sure Windows uses the 4 cores, should see 4 in task manager

Edit: The 965 motherboard may need a bios flash to work with a quad, update to the latest before You start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Just wanted to chime in here for the sake of completeness, swapped out the cpu with no problems.
    All 4 cores were instantly recognised.
    10 points for observation PogMoThoin, but luckily I had already upgraded the BIOS in the hopes it would increase my OC speeds.

Thanks again all.:)

Advertisement