Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deleted avi files, any hope of restoring them?

• 19-01-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Ive somehow managed to delete my whole Downloads folder with all my, ahem, completely legally downloaded movies, tv series and music, so managed to wipe about 20gb's of stuff off the laptop, forever!
    I was deleting old stuff, moving some new stuff to the media player, and in a fit of rapid delete i think some sort of systems file popped up, i hit delete before i even noticed what it was, and the whole downloads folder disappeared....im still hurting. :(
    I think it was one of those .ini files(they seem to be randomly popping up all over my laptop recently, and telling me if i delete them the system may not work properly! :eek:) So what the hell have i done??!

Ive tried the free Recuva, but its not finding them, should i be looking at purchasing something better to see if they can be restored?

Its not a huge deal to download the movies etc again, but i just cant remember what else was in the frikkin folder with them, and thats what has me worried, that ive deleted something important. :o

Ive since tried backing up my files to prevent the same mishap with treasured photos etc(yeah, horse, stable door, bolt...:rolleyes: ), but it keeps failing, ive tried using the external hardrive to back up and still no luck.

Anyone have any wise words of wisdom, other than stay away from the delete button in future! :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Stop using the computer, turn it off.

If you are sitting there browsing the web, backing stuff up, downloading recovery applications, you are likely gradually overwriting the deleted files. The more you use the computer, the less stuff you will be able to successfully recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

is it me or did you say anything about emptying the recycle bin?
    i didn't notice you saying that..... in there perhaps.

What the Voodu says is correct... you are over writing the free space it created but messing around on the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm assuming that it's not in the recycle bin - if it was a large folder then it would ask you whether you want to permanently delete it or not as it was too big for the RB.

Never had something like that happen me but a few people I know have used uneraser as a software and they've managed to salvage files using it so that's worth checking out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

photorec them onto an external drive

unless they are massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you can't remember it, its most likely not important.

Keep multiple backups on multiple disks, not just one. One disk for recent backup, another for long term. Maybe DVD's for Archiving smaller stuff very long term. keep the disks separated so if you have break in someone doesn't steal all the disks on one go. Just in case someone does steal them, encrypt the disks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement