Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed up to Next Gen Broadband but only getting 3MB speeds

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I've been on the phone all evening to Eircom (various depts from sales to Broadband services) to enquire why my bill for NGB says we are only getting it at 3mb download speeds. A ping test shows that it is 2.68mb that we are getting.

I signed up to this so I can work at home and was told my area was now receiving 8mb speeds by the eircom rep - hence the attraction to signing up. I find this false advertising now that it is blatantly showing up as 3mb on the bill and now the people on the phone tell me "it's due" in my area. "It's due" could not be confirmed if it was this week, this month or this year. "It could be within the next few months" she said.

I'm sorry but as good as the broadband may be so far, it is not the speed or quality I signed up for and find this very annoying, especially given I only signed up due to reasons being I have to work from home and need the reliable internet speed and connection that Next Gen says it will provide.

Why am I paying for 8mb broadband when I am only receiving 3mb? How is this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I've been on the phone all evening to Eircom (various depts from sales to Broadband services) to enquire why my bill for NGB says we are only getting it at 3mb download speeds. A ping test shows that it is 2.68mb that we are getting.

I signed up to this so I can work at home and was told my area was now receiving 8mb speeds by the eircom rep - hence the attraction to signing up. I find this false advertising now that it is blatantly showing up as 3mb on the bill and now the people on the phone tell me "it's due" in my area. "It's due" could not be confirmed if it was this week, this month or this year. "It could be within the next few months" she said.

I'm sorry but as good as the broadband may be so far, it is not the speed or quality I signed up for and find this very annoying, especially given I only signed up due to reasons being I have to work from home and need the reliable internet speed and connection that Next Gen says it will provide.

Why am I paying for 8mb broadband when I am only receiving 3mb? How is this right?

NGB is up to 8mb you may not get the full 8 or anything near it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They specifically advertised it as being 8mb in my area now. There was absolutely no talk of it varying in any degree below that. It was 8mb constant with no dip in signal ever.

I rang this very rep back to inform him of the 3mb and he said I should be on 8mb. Why should I lay back and accept less when I'm paying the fee for a better service?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

McLoughlin wrote: »
    NGB is up to 8mb you may not get the full 8 or anything near it
    I get around 3.92MB with my ISP and my package is for 4MB. If my package was for 8MB I would fully expect to get what I pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BuCkoTroN

They specifically advertised it as being 8mb in my area now. There was absolutely no talk of it varying in any degree below that. It was 8mb constant with no dip in signal ever.

I rang this very rep back to inform him of the 3mb and he said I should be on 8mb. Why should I lay back and accept less when I'm paying the fee for a better service?

Well the situation is more or less it may be possible that the line can only handle 3mbps did you ring tech support to verify that and if the exchange is a NGB one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi homerun_homer,

Thanks for taking the time to contact eircom on broads.ie

If you PM your home phone number, I can take a look at your broadband connection and advise you further.

If you are not aware already Next Generation Broadband (NGB) is a FREE upgrade of UP TO *8MB. Your broadband attainable rates should not change significantly if your phone line only pre-quals for a lower broadband speed.
    *Adsl is geographically dependent and doesn't affect the distance of your premises from the exchange.

NGB is clearly outlined as a FREE upgrade by eircom.

If you are on 3MB, 2.68 MB is above average and is almost a one-to-one download speed.

If you wish to test your broadband speed correctly - please visist our website : http://bit.ly/aPwvTT and www.eircom.net/speedtest.

(if any problems linking to these websites, please copy & paste these URLs into your Internet Browser)

Let me know if you need further assistance on this or any other issue.
    Kind regards

Ant

Broadband Help with eircom Modem Setup - http://bit.ly/hxK1LH - Help with non-eircom Modem Setup - http://bit.ly/gyuY0I ;

• Advertisement

Hi Ant,
    I don't have the home number details with me in work. I don't use the phone line and don't intend to ever hook one up, even if I do have free minutes that can be used.
    I had an Eircom rep call to my door and tell me that Shannon is now hooked up to the NGB for flawless 8mb speeds. He caught me at the right time as I was quickly having to make a decision on what service provider I was to go with. I told him what I needed after he told me what was on offer.

I did not sign up to 3mb speed regular Eircom internet that can be upgraded to NGB, I signed up to NGB. When I called him yesterday he told me I should be on 8mb speeds and told me to contact the normal eircom services on the phone to confirm. I was advised to try the eircom website and do a speed test and it confirmed the speed of 2.68mb.

At this point, everyone I talk to confirms that I am on 3mb and no more. I pretty much have been led astray in signing up to a service that is still not yet available yet being charged for that service I am entitled to. I have just got the bill in for the 1st 2 months when only 1 month has passed. To say I feel cheated is an understatement.

Hi Ant,
    I don't have the home number details with me in work. I don't use the phone line and don't intend to ever hook one up, even if I do have free minutes that can be used.
    I had an Eircom rep call to my door and tell me that Shannon is now hooked up to the NGB for flawless 8mb speeds. He caught me at the right time as I was quickly having to make a decision on what service provider I was to go with. I told him what I needed after he told me what was on offer.

I did not sign up to 3mb speed regular Eircom internet that can be upgraded to NGB, I signed up to NGB. When I called him yesterday he told me I should be on 8mb speeds and told me to contact the normal eircom services on the phone to confirm. I was advised to try the eircom website and do a speed test and it confirmed the speed of 2.68mb.

At this point, everyone I talk to confirms that I am on 3mb and no more. I pretty much have been led astray in signing up to a service that is still not yet available yet being charged for that service I am entitled to. I have just got the bill in for the 1st 2 months when only 1 month has passed. To say I feel cheated is an understatement.

Hi homerun_homer,

Thanks again. If you can get me your home phone number or eircom account number I will take a look at your broadband connection and the availability of Next Generation Broadband (NGB) in your location.

NGB, is not readily available nationwide throughout all areas at the minute. Although eircom are embarking on a planned works and upgrades on their exchanges.

Again, I would advise that NGB is a FREE upgrade. Therefore no Sales Rep can charge for upgrading you from 3MB - up to 8MB.
    NGB is ofcourse dependent on your phoneline and the broadband attainable capacity on your specific line.

If you need further assistance with this or any other issue please let me know.

Kind regards
    Ant

Bumping this thread because I've PM'ed Ant and have yet to resolve the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi homerun_homer

apologies for the delay, we have your details and Ant is investigating this. I can confirm that you should be NGB and that your line should be getting more than 3Mb.
    Will have more info on this later today.
    Thanks
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Hi Tony/Ant,

Could one of you guys check my line to see whats the top speed I can achieve. I'm currently on 3mb but would be delighted if the speed increase to 4 or 5mb, I'd be in heaven on 8mb :) PM Sent.

• Advertisement

Hi homerun_homer,

Thanks for contacting the Forum on Boards.ie

I can confirm that you broadband connection has now been upgraded to NGB. It is currently is synced at 8MB; Attainable rates are excellent and your connection is staying solidly connected across our authentication servers.

Your broadband speed (if following our broadband checklist - http://bit.ly/aPwvTT ) should be approximately 6.8Mb - 7.2Mb.

Please let me know if you need further assistance on this.

Kind regards
    Ant

DonJose wrote: »
    Hi Tony/Ant,

Could one of you guys check my line to see whats the top speed I can achieve. I'm currently on 3mb but would be delighted if the speed increase to 4 or 5mb, I'd be in heaven on 8mb :) PM Sent.

Hi DonJose, (also sent reply via PM)

I have checked your Broadband connection. It is currently synced at 3Mb. Your attainable rates are slightly higher at 3.36.

Your broadband pre-qualifies for 3MB, which generally means that it is not possible to increase your broadband speed ; even if your exchange has been migrated to NGB.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to increase your line speed at the moment. This may change with time, but in the short term your broadband speed will stay at around 3Mb.

If you wish to test your broadband speed, please look at the following broadband checklist : http://bit.ly/aPwvTT

Your average download speed should be approximately 2.5Mb.

Please let me know if I can help you further on this or any other matter.

Kind regards
    Ant

Thanks Ant,
    I will do a speed test once home and confirm.

Just checked now and I got 6.14mb/s download speed & 0.39 mb/s upload speed.

Hi homerun_homer
    good to see an increase there, as Ant posted earlier you should be getting 6Mb and possibly higher. Monitor for a day or two and let us know what you get over that time.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 e5211

Your not the only one. Its in my area also, and i only get 2mbps MAX.
    I hope UPC arrives here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

Hi homerun_homer
    good to see an increase there, as Ant posted earlier you should be getting 6Mb and possibly higher. Monitor for a day or two and let us know what you get over that time.
    Tony

isn't it great that people can come on here and sort these kind of issues out

NOT

it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and now that it has been fixed what repercussions will there be for the person responsible for the error - NONE

which means that eircom and all the other phone companies can carry on the practice of charging for one thing and supplying another without any fear, knowing that most people won't argue
    :mad:

e5211 wrote: »
    Your not the only one. Its in my area also, and i only get 2mbps MAX.
    I hope UPC arrives here soon

Hi e5211

As Ant posted NGB unfortunately cannot always provide 8Mb but does offer the possible speed as a constant speed. If you would like me to check your own line and service I may be able to help here?
    If you would like me to investiage PM me your details.
    Tony

line6 wrote: »
    isn't it great that people can come on here and sort these kind of issues out

NOT

it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and now that it has been fixed what repercussions will there be for the person responsible for the error - NONE

which means that eircom and all the other phone companies can carry on the practice of charging for one thing and supplying another without any fear, knowing that most people won't argue
    :mad:

Hi line6
    It is true that errors should not happen but when they do happen channels should be offered to resolve these errors. Many of these problems can only be resolved by communication between our customers and us and this is the reason we are on Boards, Twitter and our own eircom forum; to offer alternative channels, of communication, complaint and dialogue.
    We have found these forums useful in allowing people (many of whom, as you correctly point out, may not contact us) to report issues, queries or offer their opinions of our service.

Regards
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sodslaw

i know how you feel, we signed up with eircom last june and were told that the phone and broadband packages were much improved and it would be a great time to switch by the sales rep. we were with ntl already and fairly happy with there broadband. the rep said it was upto 8mb in our area and that it would more like 6mb speeds we would get.
    we finally got it all up and running and phoned eircom when we saw we were only getting 2.8 mb speeds, they said the salesman lied and this was happening a lot but that there was nothing we could really do about it. they could not turn up the speed as our line would not handle it.
    we thought we may aswell stick with it as we didnt want the rigmarole of cancelling but i wish we would have back then.
    from the start of december we have had nothing but trouble with the line, it constantly loses service and thats when we are lucky enough to get connected, sometimes it takes upto 2 hours to get connected!
    i have been on the phone to them again over the past week and after another engineer visit and a new router the problems are still not rectified.
    finally got connected tonight and to my amazement they have cut the speed down to 1.5mb, im sure they will say theres nothing they can do about that either.
    i am furiuos in this day and age a comapny can treat there customers like this and not be held accountable. another engineer will be out on friday to see what he can do but i cant believe they had the nerve to cut our speed without informing us.
    i will keep you all informed on here of the outcome but after the way we have been treated by this company i dont think we will be staying with them or ever going with them again!
    well done eircom another happy punter.
    john
    ps we have a ping on the line of 120ms. it used to be about 12ms so i guess someone else signed up on the road and sharing our line. next generation, whatever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

...Many of these problems can only be resolved by communication between our customers and us..

sure - but THESE problems could be solved by better practices from your salesmen, and that will never be achieved solely by dialogue with your customers

what's the chances of one of the top dogs saying to their salesmen 'please don't lie to the customers' - when they seem to be already instructing them the exact opposite?

slim to none, why am i wasting all this virtual ink

sodslaw wrote: »
    i know how you feel, we signed up with eircom last june and were told that the phone and broadband packages were much improved and it would be a great time to switch by the sales rep. we were with ntl already and fairly happy with there broadband. the rep said it was upto 8mb in our area and that it would more like 6mb speeds we would get.
    we finally got it all up and running and phoned eircom when we saw we were only getting 2.8 mb speeds, they said the salesman lied and this was happening a lot but that there was nothing we could really do about it. they could not turn up the speed as our line would not handle it.
    we thought we may aswell stick with it as we didnt want the rigmarole of cancelling but i wish we would have back then.
    from the start of december we have had nothing but trouble with the line, it constantly loses service and thats when we are lucky enough to get connected, sometimes it takes upto 2 hours to get connected!
    i have been on the phone to them again over the past week and after another engineer visit and a new router the problems are still not rectified.
    finally got connected tonight and to my amazement they have cut the speed down to 1.5mb, im sure they will say theres nothing they can do about that either.
    i am furiuos in this day and age a comapny can treat there customers like this and not be held accountable. another engineer will be out on friday to see what he can do but i cant believe they had the nerve to cut our speed without informing us.
    i will keep you all informed on here of the outcome but after the way we have been treated by this company i dont think we will be staying with them or ever going with them again!
    well done eircom another happy punter.
    john
    ps we have a ping on the line of 120ms. it used to be about 12ms so i guess someone else signed up on the road and sharing our line. next generation, whatever!

Hi Sodslaw
    There is no excuse for this behaviour, if you were lied to I am may be able to find that agent and report this. I can also chase your speed / connection issues for you and may be able to resolve this or at least clarify situation. While we cannot guarantee that everyone will be able to get faster speeds with the roll-out of NGB, you should not be receiving slower speeds due to NGb upgrade.
    I you could PM me your line no I will chase this for you and my apologies for the problems and inconvenience cause so far.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

@ Ant

I'll PM you my phone number. I have NGB and the top speed i get is 4.4 Mb/s. Is this the most I'll get? Had the up to 3 Meg service before this and got speeds of 2.64 Mb/s.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    @ Ant

I'll PM you my phone number. I have NGB and the top speed i get is 4.4 Mb/s. Is this the most I'll get? Had the up to 3 Meg service before this and got speeds of 2.64 Mb/s.

Hi Mayo Exile,

Thanks again. I've received your PM with your home phone number details and will advise you shortly.

All the best
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭danois

If i pm you my number can you check what my line is, when i check online its telling me ngb is available on my line but as far as i can remember i was told by a rep its only 3mb i get speeds of about 2.2 max. would love if it was speed up a bit as it is the kids are moaning about lag on the xbox all the time.

Thanks

danois wrote: »
    If i pm you my number can you check what my line is, when i check online its telling me ngb is available on my line but as far as i can remember i was told by a rep its only 3mb i get speeds of about 2.2 max. would love if it was speed up a bit as it is the kids are moaning about lag on the xbox all the time.

Thanks

Hi DonJose,

I'm not sure if you received my previous PM..

I have checked your Broadband connection. It is currently synced at 3Mb.

Your attainable rates are slightly higher at 3.80 (uder 4MB).
    Your broadband pre-qualifies for 3MB, which generally means that it is not possible to increase your broadband speed ; even if your exchange has been migrated to NGB.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to increase your line speed at the moment. This may change with time, but in the short term your broadband speed will stay at around 3Mb.

If you wish to test your broadband speed, please look at the following broadband checklist : http://bit.ly/aPwvTT
    Your average download speed should be approximately 2.5Mb.

Obviously when you test your broadband speed as advised on the above URL : ensure you test this on ONE computer ONLY. All other computer /laptops/ wifi printers/ iphones / android phones , etc.. should be temporarily shut down completley.. This is important so that you can get a clear and accurate broadband download speed analysis.

You may also need to temporarily disable software applications on your PC that may slow down your connection speed.. or may be running on your computer and you may be unaware of this ; Firewall(s), anti-virus, etc.

A good guide for testing your broadband speed accurately is given on the URL : http://bit.ly/aPwvTT

I'd also recommend, if using a games console like xbox, that you take a look at the following websites and video tutorial :

www.eircom.net/tutorials - Games Console Setup

broadbandsupport.eircom.net/xbox.htm - xbox help for eircom Customers

Please let me know if I can help you further on this or any other matter.
    Kind regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Ant, the last message is from another boards member, I did receive your email and thank you for your reply!!!

DonJose wrote: »
    Ant, the last message is from another boards member, I did receive your email and thank you for your reply!!!
    Hi DonJose
    thanks for update will pass this on to Ant.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Ant

You should read this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MB :)

• Advertisement

Hi again homerun_homer,

This sound a good deal better.

Please ensure you test your speed with only one computer connected to the modem over ethernet and that the modem plugged directly into the the Master Phone Socket (MDP) ; as outlined : http://bit.ly/aPwvTT

All other PC's, Wifi printers, iphones, etc should be shut down completely if you want to get an accurate braodband speed check.

Your broadband speed should be around 6.9 Mb per second.

Let me know if you still need further assistance with this.

Cheers
    Ant

Advertisement