Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed up to Next Gen Broadband but only getting 3MB speeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irish5er

Hi Ant We had a rep around who said NGB available at 8Mb in Ballybofey Donegal at 25 E a month 4 12 mths. Is this speed available now ? Im sceptical as had 3 before with terrible wireless reception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

irish5er wrote: »
    Hi Ant We had a rep around who said NGB available at 8Mb in Ballybofey Donegal at 25 E a month 4 12 mths. Is this speed available now ? Im sceptical as had 3 before with terrible wireless reception

Hi irish5er

If you PM me your tel no. I can confirm what speed you are likely to recieve.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

Ballybofey was moved on to the ngb at the end of nov
    The speed you get will be dependant on your distance from the exchange, you should only expect to get 8mb if you are within 1km off the exchange

you can double check on www.ngb.ie to make sure your house is in the covered area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 toasterjoey6

Hello Ant or any official Eircom members,
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I would also like you to check my broadband/area connection and line. My email is thedoctor_5@hotmail.com and the area is in Dublin. I can PM details if you ask. Currently, I am on the 8Mb NGB Regular plan. After checking speed on your speed test, I am getting a download speed of around 2.5/3 Mb/s. Considering our area is covered, I don't think this is a suitable speed, even though it is UP TO 8Mb, 2 is no where near that number, and the poster above is now getting around 6Mb. I'd much appreciate you replying to this message and I'd love to continue this conversation by phone so tell me if you want me to PM details.

Many Thanks, Joe

Hello Ant or any official Eircom members,
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I would also like you to check my broadband/area connection and line. My email is thedoctor_5@hotmail.com and the area is in Dublin. I can PM details if you ask. Currently, I am on the 8Mb NGB Regular plan. After checking speed on your speed test, I am getting a download speed of around 2.5/3 Mb/s. Considering our area is covered, I don't think this is a suitable speed, even though it is UP TO 8Mb, 2 is no where near that number, and the poster above is now getting around 6Mb. I'd much appreciate you replying to this message and I'd love to continue this conversation by phone so tell me if you want me to PM details.

Many Thanks, Joe
    Hi Joe
    yes PM me the details and I can look into this for you, should have update later today.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 toasterjoey6

Hi Joe
    yes PM me the details and I can look into this for you, should have update later today.
    Tony

Thanks so much Tony, but I actually called Eircom support two days ago and they were extremely helpful in advising me here. Basically, my line is only capable of 4 but he has pushed it up to 5 for me. :) I've noticed a small improvement (4.2 Mb/s) but he told me I should look forward to fibre optic lines from you guys?! Can't wait! :)
    Thanks for the quick reply and help. Joe

Thanks so much Tony, but I actually called Eircom support two days ago and they were extremely helpful in advising me here. Basically, my line is only capable of 4 but he has pushed it up to 5 for me. :) I've noticed a small improvement (4.2 Mb/s) but he told me I should look forward to fibre optic lines from you guys?! Can't wait! :)
    Thanks for the quick reply and help. Joe
    Good to hear that toasterjoey6.
    Yes fibre the new direction and we should have 100,000 customers on this by summer 2012.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good to hear that toasterjoey6.
    Yes fibre the new direction and we should have 100,000 customers on this by summer 2012.
    Tony
    Impossible Tony, you won't pass 100,000 premises with fibre by then...never mind get 100% takeup. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

FAO : Eircom

Why is that that in fact we are paying for an 8mb line, and only receiving 6mb ?

I have had monitoring scripts on my router the last two months and not once has my speed even flicked into the 7mb region. This is a little strange considering that while I was with Vodafone it was a steady 8mb line so there is no issue with infrastructure in our area.

Also, I received a lovely bill for exceeding a usage allowance of 10GB...

Need I even mention that this day and age 10GB is an allowance that might suffice for a mobile device, but a household with 1 or more computers its just not "next generation" is it ? I might be wrong but even in the days of "irish broadband" the limit was 20GB..

I steam netflix, others in the house might use itunes, youtube, skype even facebook apps.. The odd time i may need to work from home, im uploading files to a work server.. And you limit it to 10GB... I have USB dongles that hold more data that that.

I will be changing to another company i dont particularly care ho as it cant be as dated and overpriced (imo) as eircom,
    but i do want to know why you advertise 8mb, yet nobody receives it ?
    And why DO you have a USAGE limit in this day and age ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

if i was to pm my number could ye tell me how far away from the exchange i am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

KoRn101 wrote: »

Why is that that in fact we are paying for an 8mb line, and only receiving 6mb ?

I have had monitoring scripts on my router the last two months and not once has my speed even flicked into the 7mb region. This is a little strange considering that while I was with Vodafone it was a steady 8mb line so there is no issue with infrastructure in our area.

Need I even mention that this day and age 10GB is an allowance that might suffice for a mobile device, but a household with 1 or more computers its just not "next generation" is it ? I might be wrong but even in the days of "irish broadband" the limit was 20GB..

I steam netflix, others in the house might use itunes, youtube, skype even facebook apps.. The odd time i may need to work from home, im uploading files to a work server.. And you limit it to 10GB... I have USB dongles that hold more data that that.

I will be changing to another company i dont particularly care ho as it cant be as dated and overpriced (imo) as eircom,

Hi KoRn101,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.ie

*NGB is advertised as up to 8Mb or up to 24Mb. Please see further information and terms on the following links: www.ngb.ie - T&C's

It is possible to get a one to one connection on fixed phoneline broadband, although it is unlikely - given that Adsl is based on rate adaptive technology and is dependent on local loop length. Therefore, if your broadband prequalies for 8Mb, then the average broadband speed would be around 6.2Mb to 7Mb. Your average broadband speed would obviously be tempered by your broadband speed being tested on only one computer device, and not sharing bandwidth amongst a number of devices. It is best to test your broadband speed over Ethernet cable, as this will rule out any local wireless signal issues.

A broadband speed of 6Mb, without disabling running applications (firewall(s), anti-virus, etc,) is probably the normal expected speed. If you were getting a 100% broadband speed of 8Mb on an 8Mb, or one to one, connection on a fixed phoneline broadband, then this would be an quite exceptional; considering they are likely on the same fixed phonelines. In general though you should expect around 85 - 90% of of the Maximum broadband speed, given the nature of fixed Adsl phoneline.

If you'd like to test your broadband and see the maximum broadband speeds available on eircom's network, please see : www.eircom.net/speedtest

*Note: The maximum product speeds quoted for eircom broadband are not guaranteed and depend on the quality of your phone line and your distance from the exchange.

Want to improve your broadband speed

If you need any help with your broadband connection, please contact :

*Technical Support: 1890260260 -8:am-10pm (7 days)

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    if i was to pm my number could ye tell me how far away from the exchange i am

Hi Rossi IRL,

Thanks for your post.

Your phoneline connection to the local exchange is dependent on a number of factors, and the physical distance of your premises may be different from the length of this local loop. For example, your house may be 2KM from the local exchange along the road, yet the phoneline may measure 2.5KM.

If you wish to view what phone and broadband products are available to you, simply enter your phone number on our website : Best Product Options

If you need further information on this, please call into :

Broadband Sales - 1800 503303 freefone.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

KoRn101 wrote: »

You can pay an extra €5 a month and the limit increases to 250GB and they don't charge for going over it. No brainer really.

Advertisement