Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228 computer science

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

marko93 wrote: »
    What's the points for this in D.I.T?

Bout three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Schaaaweeet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

marko93 wrote: »
    What's the points for this in D.I.T?

Yo

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Recently got a provisional offer for this course as a mature student and I'm still on the fence about accepting it. Thinking about applying for a part time course (BSc in IS/IT) instead as I'm not a big fan of giving up my job at the moment.

How many hours a week would I expect to do in the first year if I decide to go ahead with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Recently got a provisional offer for this course as a mature student and I'm still on the fence about accepting it. Thinking about applying for a part time course (BSc in IS/IT) instead as I'm not a big fan of giving up my job at the moment.

How many hours a week would I expect to do in the first year if I decide to go ahead with it?

Not a course you can come and go as you like and still do well. Might get away with it in first year but after that youd need to be attending most classes which is 20+ hours a week (not including extra hours put into assignments)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Orvieto

Does anyone know how full the course is usually? The info page says there's 80 places. It's just going by last years points i'd be close to not having enough, but that wouldn't be a big problem if it aint full up

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Orvieto wrote: »
    Does anyone know how full the course is usually? The info page says there's 80 places. It's just going by last years points i'd be close to not having enough, but that wouldn't be a big problem if it aint full up

Last year there were around 100 people in it, even though it says 80 places.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

Anyone want to take a guess as how much the points will rise for next year ?

Heard computer science in general is looking at a increase across the board :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

SoTek72 wrote: »
    Anyone want to take a guess as how much the points will rise for next year ?

Heard computer science in general is looking at a increase across the board :(

They have been shooting up in recent years. So my guess is at least 30 if not 40 points increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

graduate of this course.

i can't see the points not rising in fairness. the recession is on and the only places that are hiring are IT companies. in work we're crying out developers but we can't find ones good enough. that being said we've taken two on in two weeks and one is a graduate of 228.

that being said people shouldn't apply just so they'll get a job 4 years is a long long time, not to mention the fact that you should pick a course that you'll have an interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

graduate of this course.

i can't see the points not rising in fairness. the recession is on and the only places that are hiring are IT companies. in work we're crying out developers but we can't find ones good enough. that being said we've taken two on in two weeks and one is a graduate of 228.

that being said people shouldn't apply just so they'll get a job 4 years is a long long time, not to mention the fact that you should pick a course that you'll have an interest in.

Probably because the profession is basically unregulated outside of high risk sectors such as Medical Instrumentation. There is a good reason most medical devices still use RS-232 ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

graduate of this course.

How is the 228 viewed by employers ?

A lot of people say its not viewed as highly as say one from Trinity or UCD, would it be a major consideration for employers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i can tell you only what my employers views of it the courses.

trinity doesn't have the balance of theory to practical right which shows in final year projects.

DIT seems more the opposite with the pivot leaning more toward practical than theory (this is good for hitting the ground running so to speak). This is the same for DCU and UCD.

breakdown in our place of about 15 developers is as follows

DIT - 2
    UCD - 3
    DCU - 4
    NUIG - 1
    TCD - 3
    NUIM - 2

this being said i believe the degree with get you an interview, what will get you a job is proven work outside this, this can be as simple as building your own blog writing software (no wordpress) or contributing to writing and or testing open source software.

these sorts of things standout more to employers than the sunday morning paper route (might be showing my age here) that you would have done.

Advertisement