Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths through Irish. A good idea?

• 19-01-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about it and I know I won't get the 70% that will stop you getting the 10% of whatever you don't get. I need a C3 to get the course I want and it would probably bump me up a grade or two. Is it hard to do? If I do maths in Irish, will I have to do other subjects in Irish? Has anyone else done it? Whats your opinion?

I'm not particularly strong at maths, but I think I could manage a C, and those few extra points are very appealing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Fairly sure that you have to do ALL of the possible subjects through Irish.

And what happens with Maths is that you will get 5 percent of the marks that you get up to 75%, at which point the bonus is reduced on a sliding scale until it reaches 0% bonus for 100%

EDIT: Just to clarify that's 5% percent for maths but it's 10 for subjects such as Biology and History.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Fairly sure that you have to do ALL of the possible subjects through Irish.

And what happens with Maths is that you will get 5 percent of the marks that you get up to 75%, at which point the bonus is reduced on a sliding scale until it reaches 0% bonus for 100%

EDIT: Just to clarify that's 5% percent for maths but it's 10 for subjects such as Biology and History.

So its not as easy as I though then :(

Ah sure! :rolleyes:

mtb_kng wrote: »
    So its not as easy as I though then :(

Ah sure! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately no :p

Still can't imagining it being easy though, I remembe an Applied Maths question specifying that two beads coalesced, rather than just bounced off of each other. I've no idea what coalesce is in Irish but I know that I would've gotten the wrong Idea from the picture. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

you can do one subject throught Irish if you wish and get the bonus percent as far as i know because a whole class did maths through irish in a neighbouring school.they actively encouraged it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Imagine though, all you need is one word you don't understand and your question is fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

did it through irish, its fine. you get the paper in english too so no problems understanding it.

did it through irish, its fine. you get the paper in english too so no problems understanding it.

I stand corrected, shouldn't actually be too bad then. Do you only really need to know the induction parts in Irish then?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

We were told you have to do them all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We were told you have to do them all...

It would make sense if that were the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I know of kids who went to gaelcoláiste who did an individual subject in English (History) so I can't see why you couldn't do an individual subject in Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You can of course do one subject through Irish and the others through English. In fact, you can even do one maths paper through Irish and the other through English. (See second-last paragraph here: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im).

You have to make sure that you say on the entry form that you want to do it through Irish, as otherwise they won't supply any Irish copies of the paper to the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Did it through Irish, its fine. You get the paper in English too so no problems understanding it.

:confused: Surely you don't get the paper in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

AD61 wrote: »
    :confused: Surely you don't get the paper in English?
    You do afaik. You can have the two of them next to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

I stand corrected, shouldn't actually be too bad then. Do you only really need to know the induction parts in Irish then?

Its been 6 years since i sat it but everything you write must be in irish so I assume the inductions all done through irish. Its fine and worst case you can always answer in english and just forfeit the bonus marks.

Advertisement