Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattooing Over Scars

Options
  • 19-01-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I had an accident in work two years ago and it has left me with some unsightly scars on my shoulder and have decided I want to tattoo over them.

Can anyone tell me if this will work, or if it would make them worse?
    Or there any dos and don't in this regard?
    Or would it be best to consult an artist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Best thing to do is to always to consult an experienced and recommended (by someone who knows, not just a mate who happens to have a tattoo if you follow me) artist.

To the best of my knowledge (and I'm rarely wrong if I do say so myself ;) ) is that scar-tissue is pretty much a no go for tattooing, thats not to say something can't be done around it to take away from it aesthetically but AFAIK, the scar tissue is not good for the permeability of the ink. The chances of the ink not taking or speading (commonly refered to as bleeding) is much higher.

Go to a good artist, have some idea as to what you want and they should be able to come up with something. And FFS dont just pick something off a wall or out of a catalogue or off a celeb, put some thought into it, research it and get something awesome. If you've any further questions ask away. Hope thats of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Diceicle wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge (and I'm rarely wrong if I do say so myself ;) ) is that scar-tissue is pretty much a no go for tattooing, thats not to say something can't be done around it to take away from it aesthetically but AFAIK, the scar tissue is not good for the permeability of the ink.
    We all know you're good :) But this time you've slipped up( :eek: ). Scar tissue, providing its done properly, can be tattooed over. Yes there aren't many artists who will take it on and of those that do, even less can do it properly but with a bit of effort you will find the right person.
    However, in this case even more than usual, make sure of who you choose. Check previous work done on scars, have a good look at the before and after pictures, and believe me they will have taken before and after shots. Discuss what will work in your situation, some changes may have to be made to a design to get it to work properly. Finally be prepared to travel if necessary.
    For some idea of what can be done google Katerina Mikky or Bunkertattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 matthew64

Hi Tattooing on scars is not a problem, you will be always be able to feel your scar but can cover it with a tattoo so it does'nt show as much. Hope this helps, Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Great feedback.
    Thanks folks.

The truth is, I have absolutely no idea what I want, and no idea how I would go about thinking of something.

How do people with tattoos decide these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well it's going to be something permanently on your body so don't get something for the sake of it. Maybe think of something that makes you really happy or a design that you really really love and would be happy to have on your body for the rest of your life. It's really up to the person when it comes to choosing something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive a burn scar on my bicep thats pretty bad--happened when I was 3.

Any how I was talking to an artist about getting it tattooed over and basically Im told it can be done but the tattoo will look kinda shiny where the scar tissue is and may need more than the usual touch ups to get it right.

As Diceicle says scar tissue isnt the best for taking ink hence the risk of needing more touch ups.

Hope this helps Op.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

Okay, it definately can be done i have large areas of scarring tattooed over!
    there are a few factors that need to be taken into account though; the scars need to be full healed; ie. turned white no redness or other wise the needle could just shred the damaged skin. also if the scars are raised or not; raised scars are more difficult to tattoo over but not impossible.
    the best adviice i can give you is to find a VERY experianced artist who has done this kind of work before, and have some ideas what you might like but dont have a set design in mind as it might not work to cover the area you need covered.
    in some cases scar tissue doesnt hold ink as well as normal skin, but honestly i have mine done over a year now and have had no problems at all!!
    Also the artist may not have before and after pictures; i know my scars made me very self concious and while my artist took after pictures he never even asked for before pictures...which i was grateful for as i would'nt have been comfortable with that, everyone is different i guess!!
    basicaly dont worry more than likely your scar can be covered go and get the advice of some experianced artists!
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr. S I've added your post into an already open topic on the exact same thing! Should help you, as the answer would be the same. :)

Well my problem is that due to the 'shape' of the scars, I can't just pic some picture, design etc....
    I think it'd have to be a custome design. I should show them to the artist first I guess.

So can anybody reccomend an artist in the Dublin area that can do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Well my problem is that due to the 'shape' of the scars, I can't just pic some picture, design etc....
    I think it'd have to be a custome design. I should show them to the artist first I guess.

So can anybody reccomend an artist in the Dublin area that can do this?

If you find someone, let me know. I have a scar I'd like disguised too. :)

• Advertisement

Sligo22 wrote: »
    Okay, it definately can be done i have large areas of scarring tattooed over!
    there are a few factors that need to be taken into account though; the scars need to be full healed; ie. turned white no redness or other wise the needle could just shred the damaged skin. also if the scars are raised or not; raised scars are more difficult to tattoo over but not impossible.
    the best adviice i can give you is to find a VERY experianced artist who has done this kind of work before, and have some ideas what you might like but dont have a set design in mind as it might not work to cover the area you need covered.
    in some cases scar tissue doesnt hold ink as well as normal skin, but honestly i have mine done over a year now and have had no problems at all!!
    Also the artist may not have before and after pictures; i know my scars made me very self concious and while my artist took after pictures he never even asked for before pictures...which i was grateful for as i would'nt have been comfortable with that, everyone is different i guess!!
    basicaly dont worry more than likely your scar can be covered go and get the advice of some experianced artists!
    good luck!
    Where did you get it done my man?

Advertisement