Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox to PC monitor looks terrible!

• 19-01-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

I bought an xbox vga adapter so I could play using my pc monitor (Dell 2007wfp). This is the cable I bought. Anyway the image quality is terrible, not usable at all. It flickers and is very dark especially around the edges and corners?? I thought maybe I got a crappy cable so hooked it up to my 40" Samsung tv and image quality was fine, not as good as using a HDMI cable but thats to be expected. I messed around with loads of the display settings on the xbox and my monitor but nothing helped :(

I thought it might be my monitor but I found this old discussion where people are saying the quality is fine with the 2007wfp, although they do mention using the official cable. Should I just return the cable and try getting the official one to see if it makes any difference or is there anything else I can try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have a xbox in work and use a VGA cable to connect it to one of my 22" screens and it plays grand so it might just be the cable itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah I'm going to send it back and get an official Microsoft cable. Do shops like gamestop/HMV even sell them anymore with the advent of HDtvs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Does your Samsung TV have a pc input?? You could try the cable again there. see if its actually the cable thats at fault.. :D

Does your Samsung TV have a pc input?? You could try the cable again there. see if its actually the cable thats at fault.. :D

Thats exactly what I did and like I said the image quality was fine, definitely usable. I tried the cable on 2 different Dell 2007WFP monitors and it looked the exact same on both i.e. Horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

Do an autodetect/autosettings on the monitor

• Advertisement

Do an autodetect/autosettings on the monitor

Yup did that. Also reset the monitor to factory defaults(I think thats what it was at anyway).

just to make sure you have tried the dell as a monitor using the same port with a computer and I presume it was fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭ciaburkie

I got an unofficial VA cable in HMV for 6.99 back in August when I got my Xbox...works perfectly on my 22inch monitor

ciaburkie wrote: »
    I got an unofficial VA cable in HMV for 6.99 back in August when I got my Xbox...works perfectly on my 22inch monitor

that is the one I am using however I was in HMV in swords last night and they were €24 odd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Thats exactly what I did and like I said the image quality was fine, definitely usable. I tried the cable on 2 different Dell 2007WFP monitors and it looked the exact same on both i.e. Horrible

Sorry misread what you said at the start. I read (I used HDMI with the XBOX and it was fine)

Sorry!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Are you definitely using the monitor's correct native resolution? (1680x1050 according to google...)

I'd say go for the official cable if you've tried that already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

OP can you check the Xbox/cable with another Monitor or cable with another Xbox/monitor as I used the cheap AV cable from HMV with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I have a xbox in work and use a VGA cable to connect it to one of my 22" screens and it plays grand so it might just be the cable itself

Hmmm where do you work and can you hook me up with a job? :D

Advertisement