Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

edit: Why do companies get away with installing so much unwanted software??

• 19-01-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

I recently re-installed windows 7 x64 a few days ago.

I installed and updated everything like i usually do, and the computer is running perfect.

then i made the mistake of installing live essentials 2011.

All i ticked was the "msn messenger" option.

It took almost 5 minutes to install.

Before i downloaded and installed it, I installed starcraft 2, call of duty world at war, autoit programming tools, ccleaner, avg, deamon tools lite, winrar, nero 9, windows blinds, internet download manager and a few other programs.

NONE of these APART from my anti virus (due to updates) took even close to 5 minutes to install except the 2 games.

MSN messenger is a tiny program. why the hell does it take so long to install?

I then uninstalled it. It took even longer, and needed a restart.

Why oh why did microsoft release this piece of **** on the world?

seriously. its useless and if you install all the other tripe with it, it almost ruins your computer.

the amount of shíte that it installs is unreal.
    same as dell. did you ever buy a dell laptop/computer and load the version of windows they installed?
    same with acer, toshiba actually nearly all suppliers put their own software on the machines.

I dont know why acer would need to think that i need 42 programs in my msconfig startup file...

I need 3 at most. my firewall and my antivirus and my spyware/malware guard.

it really "grinds my gears" when companies like all the ones ive listed above can get away with throwing sick amounts of unwanted shít on someone's computer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

because it had no room left to install to after all that lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

Because Michaelsoft hate us! :p

Does it not install loads of additions anyway... C++ and such?
    i know this shouldn't take long but what can ya do! they say its 15-18mb file, but dont tell ya what goes with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Skerries wrote: »
    because it had no room left to install to after all that lot ;)

2tb harddrive :p plenty of space left over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

same as dell. did you ever buy a dell laptop/computer and load the version of windows they installed?
    same with acer, toshiba actually nearly all suppliers put their own software on the machines.

I dont know why acer would need to think that i need 42 programs in my msconfig startup file...

They get paid to put all that crap on their systems. And these companies (Dell, Acer, etc) have pretty tight profit margins, so another way of looking at it is that it makes the computers cheaper. If they didn't put it on, they'd likely need to charge a few euro more in order to make their x% margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

but if they didnt put it on, their laptops would be faster, and they would sell more because they would get a good rating off the people who bought them.

• Advertisement

I've actually seen disclaimers on Toshiba laptops which say they won't accept requests for refunds or credits on bundled software, probably in response to some users asking for refunds saying they reject the EULA of the bundled OS or apps. I wonder if that would stand up in court though, the Windows EULA specifically says that you can return it for a refund if you don't accept the terms.

The first thing I've done with any brand name machine I've bought is to wipe the disk and install a clean OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Karsini wrote: »
    I've actually seen disclaimers on Toshiba laptops which say they won't accept requests for refunds or credits on bundled software, probably in response to some users asking for refunds saying they reject the EULA of the bundled OS or apps. I wonder if that would stand up in court though, the Windows EULA specifically says that you can return it for a refund if you don't accept the terms.
    I remember reading before that EULAs themselves hadn't even been tested in court with regard to whether or not they're enforceable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sean_K wrote: »
    I remember reading before that EULAs themselves hadn't even been tested in court with regard to whether or not they're enforceable.
    In the past the EULA said to contact the supplier for a refund on the software, but the manu's decided to get around this by saying you had to return the whole system (so all or nothing and no option to save a few quid on windows) and in the US this was already possible in the 30 day cooling off period.

windows accumulates crud ,
    and clogs up the registy even if you uninstall, since a lot of uninstalls don't clean up after them selves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Also with a lot of companies when you use their "system recovery" , you get all that bloatware back on your machione again.

One such company have taken a different approach to this though....

I was recently given a lenovo laptop that wouldnt boot...And the person didnt want to pay for a version of windows 7 so I decided to just use the Recovery partition to re image windows vista on it.
    What was so good about it was when you went into the program it allowed you to back up any files that were on the C: partition , and also , the best bit was that you could pick exatly what programs you wanted installed when it re imaged thew drive.

Very Handy , needless to say i unticked everything bar Windows Vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes there are apps out there like decrapifier to remove some of the crud but the thing to remember when a program loads , the entire registry is searched for it's settings (unless I got that bit wrong) and so a larger registry like you get from something like HP openview will slow down the system if not cleanly and completely uninstalled.

moral - if you need a computer to be responsive keep it clean and have another to trash about with (or do a dual boot)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I recently re-installed windows 7 x64 a few days ago.

I installed and updated everything like i usually do, and the computer is running perfect.

then i made the mistake of installing live essentials 2011.

All i ticked was the "msn messenger" option.

Before i downloaded and installed it, I installed starcraft 2, call of duty world at war, autoit programming tools, ccleaner, avg, deamon tools lite, winrar, nero 9, windows blinds, internet download manager and a few other programs.

NONE of these APART from my anti virus (due to updates) took even close to 5 minutes to install except the 2 games.

MSN messenger is a tiny program. why the hell does it take so long to install?

I then uninstalled it. It took even longer, and needed a restart.

Why oh why did microsoft release this piece of **** on the world?

seriously. its useless and if you install all the other tripe with it, it almost ruins your computer.

I need 3 at most. my firewall and my antivirus and my spyware/malware guard.

it really "grinds my gears" when companies like all the ones ive listed above can get away with throwing sick amounts of unwanted shít on someone's computer.

It's your own fault for running a gigantic unauditable binary blob as an OS on your machine. For all you know, Microsoft is probably spying on you through it's never ending list of RPC calls. Windows is decent for alot of stuff, and it's generally quite stable if you accept it's place, but if you want the ability to instruct your computer exactly and unquestionably, you need to look at other solutions. Fact remains, Microsoft will do as they please with your computer and you will comply as a good sheepie because you agree with the EULA imposed upon you.

The culture of throwing useless **** on someones computer is ingrained in the Windows culture. That is why these Microsoft partners decide what you need. Microsoft is essentially trying to shield you from your own potential stupidity. Accept the fact you are mostly powerless to such situations and move on. Otherwise, change OS. That is main advice to you. Also, this article comes to mind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

I left mine for 1 1/2 hours and its still on 0% :eek:
    Only updated to it cause it forced me to :mad:
    Anyone know a work around?

jak/mar wrote: »
    I left mine for 1 1/2 hours and its still on 0% :eek:
    Only updated to it cause it forced me to :mad:
    Anyone know a work around?

Have you tried disabling the service through msconfig? Why solution is a bit simple, but I will try and find a better one for you. There has to be a workaround these silly forced updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Managed to get around it :D
    What I did was I went into windows update, found the "windows live essentials 2011" update. Right click and choose "hide update". Then went ahead and "updated" messenger ( The update window came up and showed that 2011 was installed) I checked the "about messenger" option and its still on 2009 :D

I refuse to install the 2011 suite, can't stand the ribbon interface in any application and they did it to Live Mail. I'm also still using Messenger 8.5 through a version hack, newer isn't always better.

I kept a copy of the MSI files so I can install just what I need and not all the bloat that the web installer throws on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The software makes the computer that little bit cheaper and I can wipe and re-install in no time.

I be trolling :d

Any good?

Seriously though, a clean install and Vlite/Nlite can strip the windows install down to a really bare state. I do this constantly with new Windows Installs to avoid cruft like vendor add ons and such.
    Nlite/Vlite are the best things since sliced bread for making WIndows machines perform like they are on steroids. Chances are, an advanced windows power user/developer will know exactly what needs stripping out. Annoying, but fixable.

Advertisement