Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price on building a two story extension

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello all.. Im building a two story extension on the side of the house. Its measuring 16' x 20' (320ft ground floor) I read a post that was a few years old saying builders are charging around €250 a foot (I take it that includes the first floor?).. does this still sound about right? Nothing too fancy, one pair of french doors in the kitchen, two bedrooms a small sitting room at front and knocking in from the old kitchen to make an open plan kitchen so theres a 10ft steel beam to be fitted too. It will be built up against a boundary wall so no there will be no side lane. Im getting the kitchen myself .Its a semi detached with a hipped roof , if that makes a difference.I take it I need planning permission ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You will need planning permission because the extension is to the side.

I would budget more like €125-150 ft2

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

Is that 16 x 20 on both floors, that's a fairly big extension. Make sure to get plenty of quotes and see examples of previous and talk to former customers. Sign a contract and have everything agreed. I'd always note that the cheapest tender may not be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Whacker_B

sinnerboy wrote: »
    You will need planning permission because the extension is to the side.

I would budget more like €125-150 ft2
    €40 - € 48 grand sounds very cheap for a two story sinnerboy? . I heard of someone doing a single story in the area for €47

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Whacker_B wrote: »
    €40 - € 48 grand sounds very cheap for a two story sinnerboy? . I heard of someone doing a single story in the area for €47
    He did say per sq. foot but I think you forgot about the fact that you are building 2 storey - double your figures and it wont be cheap :D

But surley theres less work and less materials if Im building up... Doubling that figure would be adding twice the cost of digging and pouring the foundation and concrete floor, twice the cost of tiling the roof so I dont think its accurate to say double it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Whacker_B wrote: »
    But surley theres less work and less materials if Im building up... Doubling that figure would be adding twice the cost of digging and pouring the foundation and concrete floor, twice the cost of tiling the roof so I dont think its accurate to say double it.
    The point I was making is that you stated the area of the ground floor only and used sinnerboy's estimate to come up with a figure of between 40k and 48k which you stated appeared to be low. I was merely pointing out that the reason it was low was because you had the same area again on the first floor which wasn't factored into the figure "40 - 48k" and yes, doubling the area in these situations does not double the cost as you quite rightly pointed out.

Look, your price will depend on a couple of factors - location, method of building and finishing spec.

For example if you were building that here in Donegal you would be looking at an approx price of €95 and €65 per sq. foot (ground floor/first floor) which would equate to an average of €80 per ft2 for a standard "builders finish". However as you head down along the East coast you can expect to pay the figures given by sinnerboy :)

Sorry Muffler ,I should have made my question a bit clearer..But I thougt when builders are working out a price for a two story extension they measured on the ground floor..ie. if it was a single story 320ft sq @ €125.. and if it was a two story it was 320ft sq @ €200.. Iv a good Idea now anyhow, thanks very much for both your time..Dam builders :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

overall sq.ft x 100sq.ft then add on extra for high quality finishes -skys the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Horsebox_twenty

I'm also building a two-storey extension (400 sq ft in total approx - 200 down, 200 up) that also needs planning permission. Modest amount of internal remodelling..... standard spec, I'd imagine, nothing too fancy. Dublin area. Will include new kitchen and new bathroom.

I've budgeted €70k or so for a building contractor to do the job. Sound reasonable, or do I need to save up some more cash before I go ahead with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

I'm also building a two-storey extension (400 sq ft in total approx - 200 down, 200 up) that also needs planning permission. Modest amount of internal remodelling..... standard spec, I'd imagine, nothing too fancy. Dublin area. Will include new kitchen and new bathroom.

I've budgeted €70k or so for a building contractor to do the job. Sound reasonable, or do I need to save up some more cash before I go ahead with it?

I'm thinking of building a similar extension, interested to hear did you go ahead and if so how much you paid, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horsebox_twenty viewpost.gif

I'm thinking of building a similar extension, interested to hear did you go ahead and if so how much you paid, thanks.

Also very interested if you're prepared to share your experiences.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

the cost of building (labour) has dropped dramaticlly....the cost of materials has not but these seem to have gone up in price....the cost of building an extension now would be 100-150 per sq ft....the days of 250 per sq ft are gone....this price will not include tiling or kitchen.....as mentioned the cheapest is not always the best....
    get around 4/5 prices but make sure everyone has the same spec sheet to price from, allow for changes that will be made as this will be extra and not included in the original quote....there are always changes in building...
    i would advise you to to do your homework on your electrical layout...placing of sockets and how many per room, so if you had 2 per room and wanted 4 per room this will be extra.....
    allow extra cash for changes and any extras
    best of luck :D

I'm resurrecting an old thread here and I know the prices are probably out of date but...

Would you have to leave a house while this kind of project was happening?

We're contemplating buying a house that could do with an extension - possibly two-storey if budget allowed. However, if it takes time to get planning permission and then time to do the job, it would mean paying rent in the place we're in now and also paying the mortgage.

I'd prefer to just move in to the new house and then start the process. But if we'd end up moving out for months it might be better to just get it done now. Any experience of this?

Advertisement