Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect and passive design

• 19-01-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, new poster, long-time lurker. Apologies if this is a bit long...

We are a couple in mid-40s, no kids looking to build a new house on land we own. We wanted an energy efficient (passive?) house, not too big but with good-sized rooms and an integrated garage. We hired an architect who came up with a plan. However, the house he designed is a U-shaped, 1-storey with a separate garage. Kitchen and Living room to the left, large entrance hall and 2 bedrooms to the right. Since the living room and master bedroom will have 3 external walls, I'm concerned that this isn't a very efficient design. When I raised my concerns, the architect didn't seem concerned - said something about orientation of house being more important. (Don't worry, he's a qualified architect, and is charging us over 7k to get to planning stage. I thought this would be money well-spent to get a well-designed house)

Also, the house has a mono-roof sloping into the middle with a zinc roof for a shallow slope. Looking in the renewables section it seems like solar panels require a much steeper slope to work efficiently. Again, the architect said it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how we'd fit MRHV which I think will be required if it's passive since we'll have no attic.

In addition, because it doesn't have a conventional attic, I'm worried that we won't be able to insulate it efficiently, or that it'll be unnecessarily expensive to insulate properly.

His principal reason for the design seems to be to maximisie the impression of the house since the neighbouring houses are 2-storey. He said htat since that we didn't want a big house, it wouldn't be worth going for a 2-storey. I think it's about 1500sf plus big garage and workshop. His estimate was 1500 per sq metre which is why we've reduced the size and brought it back to 2-bedroom. Our current house is 3-bedroom, about 1300sf.

Oh, and one other thing while I'm at it - I thought one needed to do some calculations on windows to make sure the house wouldn't overheat because of glazing. Do I need another profession to do this?

What do people think - should I just trust the professional?

Attached are the jpegs - I converted the floorplan to a bitmap since the names are on the pdf. All feedback is very welcome - I'm not sure where to take it from here and he'd like to be paid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I would immediately seek input from someone here. The "design" is clearly at an embryonic stage so don't be steamrolled by your architect - or anyone else involved in your house procurement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

olkiny wrote: »
    We are a couple in mid-40s, no kids looking to build a new house on land we own. We wanted an energy efficient (passive?) house, not too big but with good-sized rooms and an integrated garage. We hired an architect who came up with a plan.
    did you tell him you wanted an energy efficient house or did you say you want a passive house.

The two are different, "energy efficient" is objective. All new houses are energy efficient reletive to the housing stock or the avrage house.

Passive house is a reasonably defined level of efficiency.

In addition, because it doesn't have a conventional attic, I'm worried that we won't be able to insulate it efficiently, or that it'll be unnecessarily expensive to insulate properly.
    Insulation shouldn't be a problem.
    MRHV, may be depending on route.
    Oh, and one other thing while I'm at it - I thought one needed to do some calculations on windows to make sure the house wouldn't overheat because of glazing. Do I need another profession to do this?
    That's not an issue for irish dwellings (maybe offices, but not houses)
    What do people think - should I just trust the professional?

Attached are the jpegs - I converted the floorplan to a bitmap since the names are on the pdf. All feedback is very welcome - I'm not sure where to take it from here and he'd like to be paid.

Do you have plans, elevations? Id it ready for planning?
    What is he getting paid for at this stage.

TBH, a hand drawing rang bells. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with people who draw by hand, but typically they are an older generation, passive design is typically the newer generation and one would expect digital drawings due to the technical nature of passive design.

I could make further comments on the drawings but its not relevant to the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Its not fair to coment on the design, by I quite like it. Hand drawings are usually done to convey a concept for the scheme, embroyic as they say. Hardline drawings are too formal and final.

Many Architects are thought the principle of 'passive solar' this is not to be confused with Passivhaus and is about maximising soar gain. As was correctly pointed out above, solar gain needs to be carefully managed in low energy builds, as heat loss is minimised to such an extent that small amounts of heat energy will raise the internal temp above comfort levels.

I have worked on a number of architect designed low energy houses, I would say that Architects(c) have an inherent understanding of passive concepts of compact design and good orientation and siting. The input of a passive house consultant is not always critical at Planning stage. it is usual however to bring the consultant in at the Tender stage, where construction details and material specifications are developed using PHPP and major junctions are assessed for cold bridges are assessed using Therm. At this stage measures can be incorporated to address solar gain. Monopitch roofs wouldn't be necessarily any more difficult to detail than an 'A' pitch.

The guys here are right though, get a few design meetings to ensure the architect explains his concept and knows exactly your requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not an issue for irish dwellings (maybe offices, but not houses)

This is not accurate in the case of passive houses. For example, the PHPP has confirmed that due to the high % of glazing on my south facade, that without additional external shading my home will overheat (reach 25 degrees centigrade or more) 34% of the year.

The Mosart house apparently exceeded 30 degrees for 2 - 3 weeks of their first summer in the house due to them not having added the south shading at that time. The following summer the issue did not arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Passive House design isn't the same as Architectural design by a long chalk. A single story U shaped house dosnt sound like a very efficient form from a passive design perspective, it most likely can be done but the question you have to ask is do you want to pay for it as it will cost a lot more that a more compact passive house to do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor wrote: »
    TBH, a hand drawing rang bells. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with people who draw by hand, but typically they are an older generation, passive design is typically the newer generation

feck_off_3.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sas wrote: »
    This is not accurate in the case of passive houses
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was refering to Irish houses in general, as the OPs doesn't architect appear to be designing a passive house (I have asked for clarification)

You are right of course that PHs can over heat. But imo, this should be looked at as part of the PH design process
    Its not fair to coment on the design, by I quite like it. Hand drawings are usually done to convey a concept for the scheme, embroyic as they say. Hardline drawings are too formal and final.
    I agree that they are useful for concept drawings, I was refering mroe to the fact that he is looking for payment, as in, for what? Are their hardlines at the minute?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

It seem to me, that you need to seek further advice. as you and your architect are not clear on the product he is supposed to be providing to you.

• If you want 'energy efficiency', as Mellor said using the passive house institute gives you an actual standard to work to, (a much higher standard than current building regs).
    • this may not be the most efficient passive house layout. this would be apparent if put it through the passive house software.
    • yes orientation is important, but this should marry with your requirements of layout & energy efficiency.
    • if you like this design then insulating materials and strategies can be implemented to address its less compact layout.
    • Roof insulation, window shading etc.. all these things can be sorted out, along with your designs need for high levels of insulation, airtightness and good ventilation.
    If you are not happy that your architect is on top of these issues, then maybe you should consider getting advice from elsewhere.

Advertisement