Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to Vote for in Laois????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭xE

Shazanne wrote: »
    I think you might be well advised to re-read what I have said - then perhaps consider apoligising for what you have replied:mad:
    I never said that animal rights (or indeed any other issue) was the most "important issue" in my life right now - that is very far from the case. I said it is an important issue - not the important issue to me and I make no apologies for that. It's up to me if I raise the issue with canvassers - it's up to ignorant people like you if you are "giggling all the way to the next door" after meeting me! How dare you - and God help whoever you canvassed for if you treated peoples issues in that manner! Are you brave enough to tell us??
    This is the first time I have a vote in this constituency and, quite frankly, if I felt that canvassers behave in the way you do then I wouldn't be bothered either voting or encouraging my family, neighbours and friends to do so in Laois.

Sorry for that assumption, but as for whether you're voting or not, I shall quote from a world leader:
    stalin_voting-1-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

And that's your reply??? No doubt that's why you'll be the canvasser and never the candidate!

And that's your reply??? No doubt that's why you'll be the canvasser and never the candidate!

Well a convention of likeminded people select candidates, not people like you.

Now, I'm withdrawing from this thread so some sensible discussion can take place, although I'm not betting my house on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teeky

How dare anyone dismiss animal rights as not being even remotely important in our country.

Agreed, due to the shambles that FF and the Greens made out of this
    country, issues such as animal welfare and rights have been down a huge pile of problems but they are nonetheless still valid issues for hundreds of Irish citizens.

The Irish government are shameful when it comes to animal rights, with legislation being over 100 years old and the number one haven for puppy breeding farmers.

What is important to some of you on this thread, may not be important to me either but I would never be as offensive and insulting to make comments such as "canvassers giggling all the way to the next door" about what you might regard as important. I can only assume this canvasser is a big, ignorant FF head.

Shazanne, I am 100% with you on this and can identify with your anger. I know so many other things need to come first for this election but never let any idiot on this thread say that animal welfare is something to be laughed at. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

xE wrote: »
    Well a convention of likeminded people select candidates, not people like you.

Now, I'm withdrawing from this thread so some sensible discussion can take place, although I'm not betting my house on that!

troll.jpg

• Advertisement

teeky wrote: »
    How dare anyone dismiss animal rights as not being even remotely important in our country.

Agreed, due to the shambles that FF and the Greens made out of this
    country, issues such as animal welfare and rights have been down a huge pile of problems but they are nonetheless still valid issues for hundreds of Irish citizens.

The Irish government are shameful when it comes to animal rights, with legislation being over 100 years old and the number one haven for puppy breeding farmers.

What is important to some of you on this thread, may not be important to me either but I would never be as offensive and insulting to make comments such as "canvassers giggling all the way to the next door" about what you might regard as important. I can only assume this canvasser is a big, ignorant FF head.

Shazanne, I am 100% with you on this and can identify with your anger. I know so many other things need to come first for this election but never let any idiot on this thread say that animal welfare is something to be laughed at. Shame on them.

How dare they. Amen to that brother!

Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

These puppy farms are disgraceful! I don't even support them indirectly, as I never eat Chinese food.

To xE - Ironically enough, that's true and, as you know nothing about my political background, you have no right to make any assumptionsin that regard!
    I note that you decline to reveal who you "used" to canvass for? Would the past tense of that remark have anything to do with why you are not out on this occasion?
    I started this thread in an effort to establish the candidate/candidates that would best represent my MANY issues/fears/concerns etc. To have read your remarks about canvassers (with whom I have many dealings in other respects) has totally disillusioned me.

To xE - Ironically enough, that's true and, as you know nothing about my political background, you have no right to make any assumptionsin that regard!
    I note that you decline to reveal who you "used" to canvass for? Would the past tense of that remark have anything to do with why you are not out on this occasion?
    The weather isn't good.
    Shazanne wrote:
    I started this thread in an effort to establish the candidate/candidates that would best represent my MANY issues/fears/concerns etc. To have read your remarks about canvassers (with whom I have many dealings in other respects) has totally disillusioned me.
    They are contactable themselves you know, they often have offices full of people who love puppies who can handle your concerns and tell you who to vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teeky

Word of advise, Shazanne, this thread is starting to stink of narrow-mined, Fianna Fail-ism.

You'd be better off giggling at how pathetic people like these guys are and you using your vote on someone who actually listens to the concerns, views and opinions of Irish citizens. Compared to those who just force their own views down your neck.

I wouldn't mind but I see you actually started this thread looking for some help in deciding! Don't let these fools be the ones to influence you.

I live in Laois too and just dropped in on this thread to see the views but sad to say, I'm outta here.
    I could get these type of views at closing time in any given pub in town. Check out politico.ie for some good politics discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

If people want to discourage animal abuse, then they should vote for a party that will lock up people for crimes and not have early release, good behaviour, multiple warnings, turning a blind eye etc.

Our laws on animal welfare are mostly adequate, our enforcement is not.

If people want to discourage animal abuse, then they should vote for a party that will lock up people for crimes and not have early release, good behaviour, multiple warnings, turning a blind eye etc.

Our laws on animal welfare are mostly adequate, our enforcement is not.

I agree in part with what you have said and I commend you for it. However, our laws are not really adequate - in fact they are antiquated. But, if even those laws were enforced, as you say, it would be a great improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 HanyuPinyin

the number one haven for puppy breeding farmers.

Please you share location of puppy farm. Do not be greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Right, two pages of animal rights! Not belittling the issue, but just from a political point of view I've an issue with the way the polls are going.

It's looking increasingly likely that Laois may only return one TD, who will almost certainly end up as a full time minister! 4 Offaly TD's doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Portlaoise hospital will retain it's current level of service as Tullamore continues to grow - anyone else have a problem with Laois looking like it's going to be badly under represented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Right, two pages of animal rights! Not belittling the issue, but just from a political point of view I've an issue with the way the polls are going.

It's looking increasingly likely that Laois may only return one TD, who will almost certainly end up as a full time minister! 4 Offaly TD's doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Portlaoise hospital will retain it's current level of service as Tullamore continues to grow - anyone else have a problem with Laois looking like it's going to be badly under represented

But remember half of Portarlington is in Offaly so a Portarlinton area based TD is also covering the Laois part of his town and vice versa.

I'm talking about a specific candidate here Eddie Fitzpatrick who has a chance of getting in.

Also Brian Stanley will get in and is Laois based as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mr Price in Tullamore has done an impressive job putting up posters all over the town (thought this was illegal) however have to admire this businesses marketing strategy.

I have not made up my mind, living in Laois but at this stage am leaning towards and independent, any independent at this stage.

Curious at the absence of canvassers about, none have appeared in my area, although this is a good thing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Mr Price in Tullamore has done an impressive job putting up posters all over the town (thought this was illegal) however have to admire this businesses marketing strategy.

I have not made up my mind, living in Laois but at this stage am leaning towards and independent, any independent at this stage.

Curious at the absence of canvassers about, none have appeared in my area, although this is a good thing.

I'm leaning towards 2 independents at the moment, i don't think i'll be voting for ANY member of a political party.

I don't think Stanley will get in at all! He gets a strong Portlaoise vote, but then his chances usually die a death through a lack of transfers. And I know from a lot of people in Mountrath where he canvassed, the thought of him propping up a strong Gerry Adams led Sinn Fein in the Dail isn't going down well!

A Portarlington TD really doesn't cut it for me, my entire area has been bypassed, thoughts of losing a TD from Southern Laois isn't going down well with me at all

I don't think Stanley will get in at all! He gets a strong Portlaoise vote, but then his chances usually die a death through a lack of transfers. And I know from a lot of people in Mountrath where he canvassed, the thought of him propping up a strong Gerry Adams led Sinn Fein in the Dail isn't going down well!

A Portarlington TD really doesn't cut it for me, my entire area has been bypassed, thoughts of losing a TD from Southern Laois isn't going down well with me at all

I was stating that you say Offaly but Offaly can sometimes mean Laois as well with half the town bing half in the each county.

Not being from Laois the geography is all new to me but if someone does the job right they should cover the whole country and not a specific area........i said SHOULD and not would.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what are you on about???

paddy power has top 5 favs to go through
    barry cowan
    charlie flanagan
    sean felming
    brian stanley
    maria corcoran kennedy

3 of them are laois based politicians

• Advertisement

Personally...........none of the above;)

Hadn't checked the odds to be honest Syd. Just doesn't reflect the feedback I've been getting.

Whelan's campaign didn't do itself any favours by splitting the Labour vote, but he can't be discounted from the top 5. The possibility of 3 FG candidates getting in is also a possibility.

I'm not saying Stanley hasn't got a really good shot either, I just expect him to suffer more from transfers than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That's strange, as I would say Sinn Féin could do very well around Coolrain, Camross, Castletown etc. I don't see why Mountrath would be much different? We'll have to wait and see. There's much worse than Gerry. There's IMF lovers.

Dempo1 wrote: »

Yes, its flyposting. Simple as. But sure when was the law ever enforced properly in Ireland?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    That's strange, as I would say Sinn Féin could do very well around Coolrain, Camross, Castletown etc. I don't see why Mountrath would be much different? We'll have to wait and see. There's much worse than Gerry. There's IMF lovers.

Where did the IMF bury their bodies:rolleyes:

Imagine Gerry Adams with proper speaking time in the Dail, never mind power. The memory of Gerry McCabe is still too fresh in peoples memories for that terrorist to have any say down here.

I'm not painting Stanley with that brush, but Adams disgusts me

Imagine Gerry Adams with proper speaking time in the Dail, never mind power. The memory of Gerry McCabe is still too fresh in peoples memories for that terrorist to have any say down here.

If you stand for them you paint yourself with that brush.

As i have said before, nothing against the man but i have a problem with the party.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you stand for them you paint yourself with that brush.

As i have said before, nothing against the man but i have a problem with the party.

cant agree....

members like pearse doherty and brian stanley have no shame in their nationalsim.
    The only brush-painting on them is a green one, not a red one.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    cant agree....

members like pearse doherty and brian stanley have no shame in their nationalsim.
    The only brush-painting on them is a green one, not a red one.

So you would agree then that all members of FF can't be blamed for the decisions of the cabinet ?

or the same with the green party ?

If you stand for a party you stand for them in whole, histroy, decisions and all.

• Advertisement

Imagine a democratically elected individual having proper speaking time, never mind power. and you worry about HIS abuse of power?? LOL!!

If you ask an awful lot of people, they'd say Gerry who? No disrespect to the man as what happened was dreadful; but you're superimposing your thought processes on the other people. Memories are short and facts are never usually facts either. Gerry mccabe has nothing to do with Laois, Mountrath or national elections. But RIP of course.

Advertisement