Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to Vote for in Laois????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Quite easy to pick holes in policies of all parties, to be honest. Fact of the matter remains that this constituency is very likely to deliver two FF TD's, which is an unforgivable reaction to the damage that party has caused our nation, and also at least two FG TD's who, at best, will be involved in a tweaking of government as opposed to the radical change that is needed. So we can justify our voting intentions any way we want, but by returning four or even five FF/FG TD's what we are shouting loud and clear is 'more of the same please'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 HanyuPinyin

Obaraten wrote: »
    You are not funny at all,any more posts like this and i will ban you

Dog meat been source of food in area of China from around 500 BC. It beautiful in rich sauce.
    This user has been banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Kenteach wrote: »
    Quite easy to pick holes in policies of all parties, to be honest. Fact of the matter remains that this constituency is very likely to deliver two FF TD's, which is an unforgivable reaction to the damage that party has caused our nation, and also at least two FG TD's who, at best, will be involved in a tweaking of government as opposed to the radical change that is needed. So we can justify our voting intentions any way we want, but by returning four or even five FF/FG TD's what we are shouting loud and clear is 'more of the same please'.

Seems that we will get more of the same no matter what party gets in. None of them have the first idea about how to fix what FF did. Not that I do either but Im not on the big money. Im thinking independent is the way to go, better the devil you dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

**Vai** wrote: »
    Seems that we will get more of the same no matter what party gets in. None of them have the first idea about how to fix what FF did. Not that I do either but Im not on the big money. Im thinking independent is the way to go, better the devil you dont know.
    I'd agree with most of that except for the part about Independents. Its very likely that a vote for an Independent could turn out to be a vote for Fianna Fail, or worse, Fine Gael given the likelihood that they could approach Independents to form a coalition and the fact that a lot of Independents are former party hacks.

Of course there's also strategic voting to consider. The field is crowded with Independents, who I think may end up canceling each other out. Therefore, I'm looking at a combination of Stanley, Ray Fitzpatrick, or Dumpleton. They're not likely to turn on the ordinary people given their pinning of their hearts on their sleeves by standing with the policies of their respective parties/alliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

ILA wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of that except for the part about Independents. Its very likely that a vote for an Independent could turn out to be a vote for Fianna Fail, or worse, Fine Gael given the likelihood that they could approach Independents to form a coalition and the fact that a lot of Independents are former party hacks.

Of course there's also strategic voting to consider. The field is crowded with Independents, who I think may end up canceling each other out. Therefore, I'm looking at a combination of Stanley, Ray Fitzpatrick, or Dumpleton. They're not likely to turn on the ordinary people given their pinning of their hearts on their sleeves by standing with the policies of their respective parties/alliance.

Thats very true about the independents, sure eddie fitzpatrick is a former PD, no problem there with allegiance to FF or FG for that matter.

Regarding dumpleton though, listen to the radio interview posted a page or two back he clearly says that he is not opposed to Labour policies at all just the manner in which John Whelan was selected, that says to me he would be back on the Labour wagon in a heartbeat,
    Heres a radio Interview with Ray & Liam Dumpleton also for you,

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HAZEMAN

I think that voting for any independents is a waste of time.
    I voted for Cowan last time (I regret that..) and now I will vote for all the FG candidates, they seem to have a plan and they are a team.
    A new team with a plan thats what this country needs.

So I have decided to give my No. 1 to that young guy from FG. I believe he is only 23. Liam Quinn
    Fresh ideas (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

FG are promoting John Moran as their number 1 man down my way but I know nothing about the guy, see no speeches or anything from him, and haven't seen him on the ground in my area. Even the fine gael page has nothing other than he was chairman of laois county council 07-08.

Anyone shed light on Mr. Moran?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

HurlyBurly wrote: »
    FG are promoting John Moran as their number 1 man down my way but I know nothing about the guy, see no speeches or anything from him, and haven't seen him on the ground in my area. Even the fine gael page has nothing other than he was chairman of laois county council 07-08.

Anyone shed light on Mr. Moran?

http://www.votefinegael.com/candidate/index.asp?name=johnmoran

hes a farmer.

not much else to do in ballylynan :D

He's not into Twitter like his collegaues Marcella and Charlie ... then again hardly too many farmers twittering.

Just looking at the final list, we have 21 candidates. If you're to maximise your vote and vote all the way 1 - 21 u'd really want to be prepared in advance and have your homework done and maybe all written down on a piece of paper! Otherwise u'd get flustered in the box and probably number them a*seways.

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone thinks a vote for Fine Gael will be one that will save us,

Here a few facts that might raise an eyebrow or two,

Chairman of goldman sachs is currently Peter sutherland who was appointed as attorney general by Fine Gael back in 1981 by Garret Fitzgerald, during this government Alan dukes was minister for finance, his successor in that role was another Fine Gael'er by the name of John Bruton who was instrumental in the intergration of Europe & the Drafting of the constitution, up until only 2009 he was ambassador for the EU to the USA.

Now here we have 4 Fine Gael'ers,

1. Peter sutherland - Chairman of goldman sachs one of the biggest bonholders in Anglo.
    2. Alan dukes - Chairman of Anglo irish bank
    3. John Bruton - Ambassador for the EU to the USA
    4. Enda Kenny - Served as TD in governenment with all of the above.

It seems to me that John Bruton would be very closley involved in our recent dealings from across the atlantic given he is the EU ambassador, his predecessor alan dukes calling for more billions to cover the bonds of Anglo & peter sutherland co-ordinating it all from across the water with his old friends by supplying money to the Irish state at a higher interest rate via the IMF to make even more money from the state he once was attorney general for.

Now do you think Enda Kenny would be trustworthy to be over with Barosso alledgedly negotiating on our behalf?

(the question is rhetorical)

DONT VOTE FINE GAEL!!!!!!

Bullsh*t, uneducated nonsense

Sutherland And Dukes have nothing to do with current FG.

Kenny has told Dukes he's not getting any more money for Anglo.

Bruton's position is great one and one to be proud of. American multinationals are one of the few job creators in the economy.

Bruton's position is great one and one to be proud of. American multinationals are one of the few job creators in the economy.

I never said they were still FG, the entire point is they were all FG at the same time & are all now in a position to assisst each other from losing their shirt (blue one:D) and actually make huge profits in the process, the final point was that Enda has been working with these guys for a long time & he is the one now in the driving seat at the head of the country, is it a huge leap to think that ha would have allegences with these guys??

I dont need an answer on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

There are plenty more transparent reasons for not voting FG, mainly their policies, standard of candidate and unwillingness to Adequately address political reform.
    But same could be said of all parties. One FGer may feature fairly highly on my ballot paper, but it won't be No.1 and the others will be much further down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 padraigb 21

exactly...Could not of said it better myself. Anyway Alan Dukes didnt cause any of the problems in Anglo Irish bank, he was just asked to clean it up!

Really, yet the job he was elected for was to legislate and not fill in fcuking pot holes and get people council houses:mad:

Also i'm amazed he was able to do any work with his head being so far up Mr Cowan's hole:mad::mad:

Why arent you running in the election?That way you can make a difference and legislate yourself :rolleyes: I dont think its any of your business who his friends are, just because he was friends with cowen dosent mean he couldnt do any work!!!!:cool: And where did I say he was filling pot holes or getting people council houses ???By the way I dont personally know him!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Take 10 minutes to watch the most impressive TD to hit Dáil Eireann in probably 30 years.

See if none of Pearse Doherty's Budget 2011 speech affects either you or your family or your friends. Forget about 'the shinners'. That's all bull****. Every party in Ireland has a murky past in that regard. Think instead of the harm that has been done to 4 million people by Fianna Fáil and is about to be continued by Fine Gael.

You do NOT have to suffer the equivalent of the Land annuities being returned to our door. We have overspent, Sinn Fein agree that current spending is OTT but the bank debt is NOT OURS to pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYVfuedy0g

Take 10 minutes, REFLECT and then ENSURE that you are not feeling remorseful on Saturday 26th. It will be too late then. Sinn Fein speak from a position of social justice and self-sufficiency and wealth preservation in Ireland; it is farcical that we in Irish politics, words speak louder than action. We have political reform promised by FF who wouldn't even grant bye-elections until they were forced through the court system to honour our democracy.

I know I voted FF in 2002 because I thought what could any opposition offer. In 2007, I voted SF as this govt was ignoring prominent (proven right) advice of David McWilliams and many other foreign economic observers.

Sinn Fein in opposition are a blessing; in minority government they would be the resolution of many of our inequalities.

We all like to think we're middle class, its the noughties fashion. fact is, FF and FG wish you would emigrate and be done with it. They have people lined up for their jobs, they always have had, they always will.

This is me signing off and wishing Laois / Offaly the best of luck and the wisest of voters.

Sinn Fein and Pearse Doherty just tell people what they want to hear. Gerry Adams when asked questions about his partys economic policies just says " ok I will tell you what were going to do..." then sidesteps the question without answering it at all, and hes done this throughout the whole campaign. He wont even tell us if he was a member of the IRA or not.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

I'll be voting Sinn Fein for the first time .Dont see how someone in public service could vote for anybody else to be honest

FG=FF or worse
    Labour =FG + Labour

Sinn Fein and Pearse Doherty just tell people what they want to hear. Gerry Adams when asked questions about his partys economic policies just says " ok I will tell you what were going to do..." then sidesteps the question without answering it at all, and hes done this throughout the whole campaign. He wont even tell us if he was a member of the IRA or not.:mad:

That's a bit silly really. Just go to www.SinnFein.ie and its all there. Or here http://laoissinnfein.com/2010/11/05/tasc-review-of-sinn-fein-proposals/ Took me 10 seconds to find that, and its a Laois link too, which is a bonus.

Whether he was a member of the IRA or not? Truth, what is that? (Pontius Pilate, I believe). Do we believe what Bertie told us, that he had no bank accounts, that he won money on the horses etc etc? It appears (to me, at any rate) that even if Gerry Adams did tell you what you want to hear (as against what he wants to say), that it wouldn't help us economically or socially.
    Gerry is not going to be Taoiseach. Sinn Fein are almost guaranteed not to be in govt (in this Dáil). The leader of Fine Gael may change 6 months into government and probably of Labour also.
    This is not America, we don't vote presidents as executives; and even if we did Gerry is not likely to top the poll. But many believe that Sinn fein are, on this occasion speaking sense (telling them what they want to hear, as you term it. It's called political representation and mandate as against being ruled by overlords. Its why we vote. Its why people died here. So we GET to give our social power away, not have it wrenched from us).

Clearly, I came back as an addendum to my last post ;)

• Advertisement

John Boland is running in Laois / Offaly as an Independent. and In Longford Westmeath. Its a pity he's still able to 'run', as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190418

John, John, there should be a vote alright. But it should be regarding electric chairs....... and you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

What? John Boland is a puppy farmer? Is this true? I felt sick when I read this? Is this genuinely true and, if it is, how dare he look for public support for anything!!

An Ri rua wrote: »
    That's a bit silly really. Just go to www.SinnFein.ie and its all there. Or here http://laoissinnfein.com/2010/11/05/tasc-review-of-sinn-fein-proposals/ Took me 10 seconds to find that, and its a Laois link too, which is a bonus.

Whether he was a member of the IRA or not? Truth, what is that? (Pontius Pilate, I believe). Do we believe what Bertie told us, that he had no bank accounts, that he won money on the horses etc etc? It appears (to me, at any rate) that even if Gerry Adams did tell you what you want to hear (as against what he wants to say), that it wouldn't help us economically or socially.
    Gerry is not going to be Taoiseach. Sinn Fein are almost guaranteed not to be in govt (in this Dáil). The leader of Fine Gael may change 6 months into government and probably of Labour also.
    This is not America, we don't vote presidents as executives; and even if we did Gerry is not likely to top the poll. But many believe that Sinn fein are, on this occasion speaking sense (telling them what they want to hear, as you term it. It's called political representation and mandate as against being ruled by overlords. Its why we vote. Its why people died here. So we GET to give our social power away, not have it wrenched from us).

Clearly, I came back as an addendum to my last post ;)

Where are they actually going to get the money??( lets just say if they are in government)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Sinn Fein and Pearse Doherty just tell people what they want to hear.

The same could be said for all political parties and politicians.
    He wont even tell us if he was a member of the IRA or not.mad.gif

This is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the current election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

2011abc wrote: »
    I'll be voting Sinn Fein for the first time

Same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The same could be said for all political parties and politicians.

This is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the current election.

Don't agree, i have no time for any of the partys but they have all said cuts are needed.

But Sinn Fein want to reverse all the cuts so far and no more and don't pay the bonds and cancel the deal with the IMF...........yet not an idea of where all the extra funds needed are to come from.

Where are they actually going to get the money??( lets just say if they are in government)

ah now come on? I gave you the link to Tasc's critique of Sinn Fein's proposals. They have endorsed a FULLY COSTED plan. The figures and structures are all there for those interested enough to explore. I am not a party man so I won't be arguing those finer points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

An Ri rua wrote: »
    ah now come on? I gave you the link to Tasc's critique of Sinn Fein's proposals. They have endorsed a FULLY COSTED plan. The figures and structures are all there for those interested enough to explore. I am not a party man so I won't be arguing those finer points!

Endorsed by whom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HAZEMAN

A vote for Sinn Fein is a big mistake.

Their selfish and blinkered policies would drag the country into the mire. Things are bad enough in the country now without making it worse by allowing Sinn Fein to represent us.

If you are angry and want to make a statement then you can do so without trying drag the whole country into the gutter..

Try to be positive, progressive and altruistic when making your choice on Friday. Consider the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I'll be giving Mr Stanley a big, resounding number 21.
    Sinn Fein's financial policies just don't add up.

Advertisement