Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hi Folks.
    Well done to all on the post so far. It's by far the toughest machine I've ever used.
    Gonna miss out on the 2011 TCD event (in the UK) but will make next years.
    2k PB is 6:27 at the 2008 event in UCD. Started with 1:28 pace but it eased out to 1:35 and faded in the final 500 where I lost the race.
    Nowhere near enough training in 2010 and the times prove it, the start was far too slow and it just got worse.
    Never tried the 1K sprint, but got a 1:26 for the 500 once.
    Usually stick to the 5K and try to keep at sub 1:50 pace, with my best at 17:35.
    The 10k best is "about" 38 mins, but after half an hour boredom sets in.

Final comment: Rowing alone can get boring, you need a crew to keep the pace up (or another post from your online competition :D)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    :D Nothing like the peer pressure of the internet to make you go that little bit quicker!

I witnessed one sub 3 min 1k and it was done by Frank Moore at the indoor champs in 2004 or so.

Frank was in his 40's at the time and ok he was a 12-14 time national champ with neptune but I can defo say he was not at his fittest for this erg piece. Anyway just came in got on the machine did a 2m58 and then left!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    6m27 is a nice time - what was the goal - sub 6m20?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The goal was to improve on the 6:34 time from the year before. So once I started out quick I just had to hang on.

Did my first 1k at lunch time, having warmed up with a 15 min bike (at around 100 rpm) which wasn't the best idea.

Went out in 1:30 and back in 1:38, so 3:08.8 overall which finished me off. The legs gave up with 300m to go, so no bike next time ;)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Good time mate!

I think a warm-up is necessary but at what level?

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I suppose anything that gets you up to 150bpm for a few minutes, but there are better qualified boardies who could offer opinions, eg an old classmate of mine, Transform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    New PB this morning - 3.12, and I started struggling after about 700m so reckon with a bit more practice I'll get another few seconds off.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    IMO the last 300m is when you need someone to give you encouragement, telling you it's only 30 more (you're on the last stretch), 20 more (finishing line is up ahead), last 10 (give it everything, nothing to lose!)....etc.
    It can make the difference between a 1:38 and a 1:35 final 500m.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Too many decent times in this thread now!

Where is Transform been a while since he posted a time...

Somebody give him a nudge...!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Too many decent times in this thread now!

Where is Transform been a while since he posted a time...

Somebody give him a nudge...!:D

I'll bring it back down to earth with a 2k time of 7:48. I wasn't going all out but I was still wrecked at the end and its well off my best 2k time. :o

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    7660m in 30 mins this am. SPM 21 1m57.4/500m

250m - 44.3

Kind of got me thinking what is the best way to crack a set time on the machine?

If say I have a pipe dream of a sub 3m/1k should I say do

250m at sub 1m30 pace and next workout 260m etc and work upto it?

Or do long steady pieces to build endurance and then work on my speed?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Good work AV! What's your best 2k?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    7660m in 30 mins this am. SPM 21 1m57.4/500m

250m - 44.3

Kind of got me thinking what is the best way to crack a set time on the machine?

If say I have a pipe dream of a sub 3m/1k should I say do

250m at sub 1m30 pace and next workout 260m etc and work upto it?

Or do long steady pieces to build endurance and then work on my speed?

Tekkers, high level of base endurance, speed/power work if I was to guess. I know nothing about rowing tho!

Tryna decide what to do training wise tonight. Was gonna do 100m sprint repeats, but that weather's SERIOUSLY turning me off. Could be a night for the rower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Good work AV! What's your best 2k?

My best time is a 7:19 for a 2km row but I haven't done much rowing as I've got bicep tendonitis at the moment and if I pull to hard it starts to aggravate the tendon so I was focusing on using my legs with a lower spm. My legs are weaker than I thought :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »
    Tekkers, high level of base endurance, speed/power work if I was to guess. I know nothing about rowing tho!

Tryna decide what to do training wise tonight. Was gonna do 100m sprint repeats, but that weather's SERIOUSLY turning me off. Could be a night for the rower!

Bit late now but how did the erg go?

:) The point was would one get you there quicker.

We're talking just about getting a sub 3m for example not about the benefits to me or anyone else - is tagging on an extra 25m per week too much?

1m29.9 pace for say 250 this week - 275, 300 etc?

I'm looking for the short cut! Can't you tell!? LOL

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    My best time is a 7:19 for a 2km row but I haven't done much rowing as I've got bicep tendonitis at the moment and if I pull to hard it starts to aggravate the tendon so I was focusing on using my legs with a lower spm. My legs are weaker than I thought :D

I've had minor tendon issues on the erg as well mate - hard to avoid it apart from trying as much as possible to relax your hands/arms etc. - Easier said than done FWIW.

7m19 decent time.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Bit late now but how did the erg go?

:) The point was would one get you there quicker.

We're talking just about getting a sub 3m for example not about the benefits to me or anyone else - is tagging on an extra 25m per week too much?

1m29.9 pace for say 250 this week - 275, 300 etc?

I'm looking for the short cut! Can't you tell!? LOL

Yar I know... and that's what I was getting at - a few weeks/a month spent doing longer distances for longer time could set the scene for a better ability to tolerate lactate build up (or prevent it's onset for longer), plus more time on the rower = better technique, which should lead to faster times.

That's all COMPLETE speculation by the by.

Ended up doing 500m x3 intervals yesterday w/ 90 sec recovery
    1) 1m 31s, 2) 1m 41s, 3) 1m 45s

Horrible experience. Done 500x3 before, but never done it with 90 second recovery.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I've got the technique down to a tee, H.

You're not wrong - if I could right now say do my 30 min pb of 8700m which is a 1m43 average I'd feel much better of being able to get closer to the 3m 1k mark.

However how long would it take to get back there? More than a year if I could even get that ever again. I'd need to shed 2-3 stone at a guess.

However that 2-3 stone of muscle[well mainly muscle] should give me more power hence the short cut of pegging it for as long as possible....

I suppose there is one way to find out - man up (no thanks) and give it a lash!

The top scullers apparently clock up 6000km per year in their little boat. 16k per day on average!

I shouldn't but I LMAO at the splits. I can only imagine the pain especially on #2.

I'll bet the 1m31 was meant to be 1m29 or 1m30? Then the 90 seconds was up all too quick and #2 was another go for 1m30 but your legs quickly said fcuk this we're outta here? :D

I've been there mate - if you go properly flat out on #1 it's nothing but a pain train to follow.

How was it standing up at the end?:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Lulz yah I only pop into this thread so don’t really know anyone’s backgrounds!!

One of the CFNI lads is “rowing the atlantic” on a C2 - took whatever the distance was and divided it by 365 to give a daily target. Think it’s like 8k a day. He’s doing it even when he’s on the road, or competing. All for charity - think he’s 60something days left.

As for my 500’s… Yeah that’s pretty much precisely it. I wanted to do the first in < 1m 30s and just see what happened after that. But I quickly realised that it would require almost 100% effort to do that, so chilled out about 200m to go. Think I was pulling 1.26-1.27 for the first 150-200m and died a death from there. Same story with the second one, and on the 3rd I went for consistency and came in pretty close time wise.

What’s the best way to approach them? Like that was a 1m 39s average 500m pace, if I do 3 rounds at 1m 38s next time, would that be “better”?

...as for standing - lol. Good one.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Wobbly legs very common!:D

Any goals for the erg?

Kicker coming - I'd never do 3 x 500m always 4 or 6!:eek:

Key thing is consistency.

Get a warm-up under you - gentle 5-10 mins at around the 2min splits.

I'd then split the 500's like a race - so say something like this:

1. 1m36 (start hard for 20 strokes then settle)
    2. 1m40 (all steady)
    3. 1m40 (as above)
    4. 1m3? (go for it)
    The key imo is to watch the stroke rates - what were you rating by the way?

There are other programs which I used to like one was something like this:

• 4m @ 22 spm
    • 3m @ 24 spm
    • 2m @ 26 spm
    • 1m @ 28-30 spm
    • 2m @ 26 spm
    • 3m @ 24 spm
    • 4m @ 22 spm
    Good news is the 4m is almost the warm-up so 19 mins in total - good this imo as you get some endurance and a build up of speed etc.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    If you check out the concept 2 website they have people who do 1m metres per year, some do 5million metres and if I am not mistake some even did/do 10million in one year!

10mil would be 1hr50 per day on the erg for a decent rower! 27,000 metres plus per day...

At the end though you get a t-shirt! :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Wobbly legs very common!:D

Any goals for the erg?

Kicker coming - I'd never do 3 x 500m always 4 or 6!:eek:

Key thing is consistency.

Get a warm-up under you - gentle 5-10 mins at around the 2min splits.

I'd then split the 500's like a race - so say something like this:

1. 1m36 (start hard for 20 strokes then settle)
    2. 1m40 (all steady)
    3. 1m40 (as above)
    4. 1m3? (go for it)
    The key imo is to watch the stroke rates - what were you rating by the way?

There are other programs which I used to like one was something like this:

• 4m @ 22 spm
    • 3m @ 24 spm
    • 2m @ 26 spm
    • 1m @ 28-30 spm
    • 2m @ 26 spm
    • 3m @ 24 spm
    • 4m @ 22 spm
    Good news is the 4m is almost the warm-up so 19 mins in total - good this imo as you get some endurance and a build up of speed etc.

Goal - more/same work in less time :p

My stroke rate was mega high at the start - high 30s/low 40s. On the last interval I think it was mid to high 20s. I didn't really pay attention tbh. Probably not the best judging by your numbers above.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Theory and coaches will say each stroke is always the same - therefore as an example the GB rowers like Pinsent et al were expected to do long slow 30 min pieces on the erg.

They rated what 18-20spm and pulled 9000m in 30mins or 1m40 / 500m!

This was a few times a week btw.

They get the quick times such as 5m40 for 2k by increasing the number of strokes done and the stroke only gets faster by having less time taken on the recovery (bit where you move forward).

Try and focus on the legs and set the fan to 4.

Ever done 30 mins on the erg? Worth doing!

BTW - theory is great! Reality is a bit different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I still don't get how you can have such a low spm. I've slowed down from what I used to be but I still reach 34/35 most of the time. Any slower and I can't imagine getting anywhere near the time I want.

I'll try going slower again in the morning but if I was going at 21spm I wouldn't feel like I'm working myself at all, so I must be doing something wrong.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Well drive back hard with the legs and then take your time on the recovery/coming forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »
    One of the CFNI lads is “rowing the atlantic” on a C2 - took whatever the distance was and divided it by 365 to give a daily target. Think it’s like 8k a day. He’s doing it even when he’s on the road, or competing. All for charity - think he’s 60something days left.
    From his blog;

I have set myself a challenge for 2011. It will see me row the race distance for crossing the Atlantic Ocean except I’ll be doing it on an indoor C2 rower. The total distance covered will be 4722km and will see me row 12.9km a day for 365 days. I am doing this for a local charity called Cash For Kids and hope you will all donate kindly.

4.7million a year. Pretty sick. Almost enough for a t-shirt Guvnor ;)

I'm gonna have to do a 500m test at the end of the year. blergh.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LOL, almost good enough for the 5 million one.

Crazy thing about these distances some lady in her 70's iirc did 5 or 10 million metres - she must have lived on the machine! :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This guy pulled a 1m16 for 500m and apparently was doing 1m08 for 45 seconds before his legs gave out.
    Now IMO the time is excellent but the technique is rubbish.
    His best 2k is 6m40.

On the other hand this Austrian Chap can be seen here doing a 1m18 for 500m. He is rating about 45 for this piece and the strokes are more half strokes to get the stroke rate so high but his technique is excellent imo - it does not look rushed.

Note his fan setting is not 10 but 7.

The same guy can do 5m52 for 2k as seen here and once again compare his non-rushed technique to the guy in the first clip:

The austrian chap looks far more powerful but yet the first guy has a faster 500m time! However as we can see the technique aspect comes into play when you go beyond an all out sprint.

Low rating in a scull:

Just gives an example or two of slow and controlled rowing where they take their time on the recovery.

Finally an Olympic final with 6 guys going flat out but not rushed:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭cmyk

Out of interest Guvnor, what differentiates the technique. Is it just that the top video is a bit more erratic, particularly in the recovery?

Would using wattage/force curve setting help with improving your stroke rate?
    I've managed to pick up a C2 so i'll be experimenting a bit myself.

Trying to get my head around the technicalities on the machine is tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This guy pulled a 1m16 for 500m and apparently was doing 1m08 for 45 seconds before his legs gave out.
    Now IMO the time is excellent but the technique is rubbish.
    His best 2k is 6m40.

On the other hand this Austrian Chap can be seen here doing a 1m18 for 500m. He is rating about 45 for this piece and the strokes are more half strokes to get the stroke rate so high but his technique is excellent imo - it does not look rushed.

Note his fan setting is not 10 but 7.

The same guy can do 5m52 for 2k as seen here and once again compare his non-rushed technique to the guy in the first clip:

The austrian chap looks far more powerful but yet the first guy has a faster 500m time! However as we can see the technique aspect comes into play when you go beyond an all out sprint.

Low rating in a scull:

Just gives an example or two of slow and controlled rowing where they take their time on the recovery.

Finally an Olympic final with 6 guys going flat out but not rushed:
    excellent post - most common thing I see is stroke rate wayy to high ALL the time and not just at the end.

Now back to ignoring this thread :)

Advertisement