Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'll bring it back down to earth with a 2k time of 7:48. I wasn't going all out but I was still wrecked at the end and its well off my best 2k time. :o

I've just copped on to why my times dropped off. After watching the two clips of that Austrian Chap rowing (the ones The Guvnor posted) I've realised I've been pulling half strokes recently! :o

I never knew what a half stroke was but I'm definitly doing that at the moment. Looking forward to correcting this tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    6852m in 30mins @ 2:11/500avg

Had it set to 6. Will reduce to 4 and try again tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Paul91 wrote: »
    Go for it - make sure you get someone to witness your weigh in and get the verification code from the PM

I should of clarified, i'm good for 1.33 now I feel.
    But i'm not 75kg yet. I've enough spare bodyfat that I should be able to get there without muscle loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Killme00 wrote: »
    6852m in 30mins @ 2:11/500avg

Had it set to 6. Will reduce to 4 and try again tomorrow

Excellent result!

How did it feel?

I think we all know that a bit of consistency is the key - the more time on the erg [:eek:] the better our times/distance will be!

7K soon Killme!:)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Mellor wrote: »
    I should of clarified, i'm good for 1.33 now I feel.
    But i'm not 75kg yet. I've enough spare bodyfat that I should be able to get there without muscle loss.

There are a few Irish records that are attainable IMO for myself.
    Sitting behind the PC one thinks - I could take that.
    I even see a UK record I 'might' be able to have a crack at - in theory!

Mellor how much weight do you have to drop to get to 75kg?

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I've just copped on to why my times dropped off. After watching the two clips of that Austrian Chap rowing (the ones The Guvnor posted) I've realised I've been pulling half strokes recently! :o

I never knew what a half stroke was but I'm definitly doing that at the moment. Looking forward to correcting this tomorrow :)

Now ignore all the wonderful quotes - the key bit that is important is to notice how Juri gets his chest onto/over his knees on the catch (forward part of the stroke).

Don't over-reach but do have a tilt/slight lean forward with the upper-body before you pull yourself forward with your legs.

1/2 strokes cool at the start and the end but in between you have to lengthen to get some efficiency!:)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Paul91 wrote: »
    it was only my second race - still learning :D

all the science points to even splits being the best way - if you start too fast you burn too much and suffer later - obviously I had too much left in my race - but coming from a rugby/american football background you have to hold something back - as i said - i'm still learning LOL

Even more impressive Paul!
    How heavy were you when you started and now?

Even splits are great but 'in theory' a coach would love to see:

1m32
    1m34
    1m34
    1m33

1st 500m quickest
    2nd/3rd slowest
    4th 2nd fastest or fastest.

An advantage for you is having no preconceived ideas about what time you should/could be doing. When rowing we had targets from coaches all the time.

Sub 8m for 2.5k
    Sub 16m40 for 5k

Therefore right or wrong these were the targets not what you could actually do etc.

Did you say you were going to Trinity this Sunday?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Excellent result!

How did it feel?

I think we all know that a bit of consistency is the key - the more time on the erg [:eek:] the better our times/distance will be!

7K soon Killme!:)

It felt fine, i just tried to keep a constant pace throughout. Coming back off a shoulder (scap) injury so wanted to feel it out a bit. Another 30mins at lunchtime today, gonna go for good (better) technique with a longer stroke (power out and slow recovery).

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Mellor how much weight do you have to drop to get to 75kg?
    About 5kg, which is a lot I know. I've been planning a cut for the next 6 weeks for the summer. Was aiming for 77kg, but we'll see how I go.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Killme00 wrote: »
    It felt fine, i just tried to keep a constant pace throughout. Coming back off a shoulder (scap) injury so wanted to feel it out a bit. Another 30mins at lunchtime today, gonna go for good (better) technique with a longer stroke (power out and slow recovery).

Excellent Mate! Power out and slow on the recovery is the way to go - just have to focus a bit in the middle ten mins to keep the form as imo mostly the last ten mins take care of themselves!:)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    About 5kg, which is a lot I know. I've been planning a cut for the next 6 weeks for the summer. Was aiming for 77kg, but we'll see how I go.

It depends how lean you are now? If lean then the 5kg could be counterproductive - that said there are lot's of lightweight rowers who are effectively malnourished!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This am - easy row just for mileage:

30mins - 1m58 / 500m - 18 spm - 7624m give or take 3-4m.

Was happy with this, especially the 18 spm. Low was 15spm High was 21spm.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This am - easy row just for mileage:

30mins - 1m58 / 500m - 18 spm - 7624m give or take 3-4m.

Was happy with this, especially the 18 spm. Low was 15spm High was 21spm.

What height are you?

I'm gonna try to complete this by 31/12 with my best times counting

500m 2k 5k 6k 30' 10k 60' HM
    00:00.0 00:00.0 00:00.0 00:00.0 6852 00:00.0 0 0:00:00.0

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    It depends how lean you are now? If lean then the 5kg could be counterproductive - that said there are lot's of lightweight rowers who are effectively malnourished!
    It's there to lose. Definitely.
    I know going very lean could be a bad idea, But losing 5kg means i've less to be dragging up and down the rower.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I am atm about 18st or 114kg and height 6ft2 and a bit. 1m89.

Be sure to add in a 1000m Killme just for the thread!:)

Mellor - I know if I dropped 10kg I'd be faster. My best times on the machine were done at a bodyweight of about 92-95kg!

I could see myself dropping down to 110-109 for the sake of the erg and a better time!

If we do more erg work the weight might just come off anyway!:)

If you look at the c2 website the amount of big guys - tall and heavy doing big times is surprising - many over 110kg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    500m row today x 5 rounds with a 90secs recovery. All below 1.40mins. Working on it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »
    500m row today x 5 rounds with a 90secs recovery. All below 1.40mins. Working on it!

Christ.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Nice work, what's your 500m best now.
    I remember a post you made about 18 months ago you were talking about how you got from x to y, refer to muscle, training output, getting lean etc.
    You mentioned getting a sub XX 400m sprint, (60 seconds?) and a sub 1.30 500m row.
    It always stuck with me as a bench mark to hit.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Good work D!

Sub 1m30 for 500m would be classed good by any standard.

IIRC - rowing clubs in unis used to offer free membership to any person who could pull a sub 1m30 - men obviously.

Other rowing bench marks would be sub 6m40 for 2k and 8k for 30 mins made all the more impressive if person achieving said targets was a lightweight.

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Now ignore all the wonderful quotes - the key bit that is important is to notice how Juri gets his chest onto/over his knees on the catch (forward part of the stroke).

Don't over-reach but do have a tilt/slight lean forward with the upper-body before you pull yourself forward with your legs.

1/2 strokes cool at the start and the end but in between you have to lengthen to get some efficiency!:)

I had a much better 2k time today, 7:32. I was sticking to 1:50's for the first 3 500 metre splits but I could feel a dull pain in my arm so I slowed right down just to get the 2000 metres finish. I was pretty happy overall :)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Impressive!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Nice work, what's your 500m best now.
    I remember a post you made about 18 months ago you were talking about how you got from x to y, refer to muscle, training output, getting lean etc.
    You mentioned getting a sub XX 400m sprint, (60 seconds?) and a sub 1.30 500m row.
    It always stuck with me as a bench mark to hit.
    Jasus dont know (500m row time) but sure Guvnor will be pushing me to flippin try that now!! Stop giving him ideas!

SPMs for that session today was - 1st - 21, 2nd - 22, 3rd 21, 4th 25, 5th 28 - went a little nuts on last one as wanted to experiment with faster stroke and see how it went.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Great work AV!
    That's a 16 second improvement!
    1m50 average for first 1500m is good!
    Key thing imo is to always finish the piece - which you did - mentally this will always stand to you for future attempts etc!:)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    How did the 5th one go D?

That is a very low stroke rate for 500m pieces - makes them more impressive - 1m40 at 21 is better than 1m40 at 31 etc.

One thing you could try (apart from a 500m flat out!:)) would be:

1st @ 20spm
    2nd @ 22spm
    3rd @ 24spm
    4th @ 26spm
    5th @ 28spm

Forgot to ask how below 1m40 were they?

It shows good power.

IIRC Xeno Muller who won an olympic gold and silver was happy with his power if he could hit 1m20 for a stroke or two.

The rest he felt was down to endurance during a 2k race.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Great work AV!
    That's a 16 second improvement!
    1m50 average for first 1500m is good!
    Key thing imo is to always finish the piece - which you did - mentally this will always stand to you for future attempts etc!:)

I was tempted to push but knew it wouldn't be worth it in the long run. I was happy with that time but its still 13 seconds of my best time. I'm going to try setting the damper down to 3 or 4 and see how I go next time, if the arm starts to act up I'll have to give it a rest for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Less than 2 minutes
    So after cardio Monday and giving the 1k a shot, I arrived to train today for a 30min cardio set and thought I would try the 500m on its own. It's hilarious that even thinking about it made me feel off coming into the gym.

Anyway, I didn't want to think about it much so did a slow 100m and then thought I would just have a go. Set it at 7 for no great reason and just went at it.

Time was 1:27:9 - stroke rate about 25 (wasn't paying much attention). All well enough holding it down to 1.27 strokes, but started to fall apart in last 40m - and stroke rate up to 30 for the finale. As I say there wasn't much plan going into it - if there was I probably wouldn't have done it.

As expected - the upper body handles it no problem and feels like it could do more with more resitance, the lungs feel it a bit (but not too much), but it is the legs which cave in on the drive at the end.

Legs are getting two cardio sessions a week and no weights, and that remains my plan, so don't think I will improve much on this. 1.26:x probably possible with work, but 1.25 looks a bit away, and that would be a much nicer 'achievment' to log and forget about then. haIncidentally it messed up the first half of my subsequent cardio session ... Cheers Guv.

JAK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Best of luck to anyone heading to Trinity on Sunday. I'll be still here in London but will plan my time better next year.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    How did the 5th one go D?

That is a very low stroke rate for 500m pieces - makes them more impressive - 1m40 at 21 is better than 1m40 at 31 etc.

One thing you could try (apart from a 500m flat out!:)) would be:

1st @ 20spm
    2nd @ 22spm
    3rd @ 24spm
    4th @ 26spm
    5th @ 28spm

Forgot to ask how below 1m40 were they?

It shows good power.

IIRC Xeno Muller who won an olympic gold and silver was happy with his power if he could hit 1m20 for a stroke or two.

The rest he felt was down to endurance during a 2k race.
    Cheers and will try that - lowest was the last at 1.37.1mins with the 28 spm. The others were 1-2 secs above that.

I think its better to do varied interval sessions mixed with longer rows if you want to improve overall times. Its worked best for me anyway

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    :D Jak!

I'm just surprised it only affected the 1st half of the session!

Very impressed with that time tbh and even more impressive once again with the low stroke rate - 25 is super low for a 500m piece.

This shows the world record holder for 100m - you can see he has a 4 inch leg drive! Rate about 70!:eek::D

He did a 13.9 for 100m and peak split was 1m03!

Anyone know their 100m time?

Same guy doing his 500m WR

Looks slow in comparison to his 100m video but he was 54 strokes at the start and over 40 all the way!

BTW - Note the 4 people holding the machine - if on a hot 500m piece you need at least one person holding the machine imo!

I'd not do 1m27 atm and certainly not at 25spm!:D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    They are excellent times D!

You are spot on as well about intervals.

It's all well and good having mileage in the legs but the good times will only come if you can match your endurance with speed.

You will only get the speed doing the intervals! I like intervals btw.

If you were to do a 1k - I'd say you get 3m12 anyway and as for the 500m 1m30 or less?:D

Advertisement