Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your 1000m row time!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Wahoo... Just pulled me a 6m 56s 2km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »

That's a very good time. On a scale of 1 to pain, how bad was it? I'm a little scared to attempt one after the experience of doing 1km a couple of times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭traco

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Nice one!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That's a very good time. On a scale of 1 to pain, how bad was it? I'm a little scared to attempt one after the experience of doing 1km a couple of times...

11-12.

I was in MUCH bigger hole than the other lads who came in at 7m06s and 7m22s. I think they're "fitter" but I was just more efficient and as a result worked harder to get my time. If that makes sense?

I think the beta alanine helped for sure. 3m22s was the 1km split and my PR when I was fitter was 3m 17s and today was obviously easier for the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I think the beta alanine helped for sure. 3m22s was the 1km split and my PR when I was fitter was 3m 17s and today was obviously easier for the first half

Fair fúcks. I must attempt one soon. Where do you get your beta-alanine? I'm interested in trying it.

Do you take creatine as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    First time on rowing machine since beginning of December. 3.58 mins for 1000m. Badly need to improve. Down 10 secs on my best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Very Good time H!

3m22 would mean second 1k was 3m34.

I can only imagine the anguish as the splits started dropping in the 3rd 500m and legs by then were hanging on?

Good on you for doing it - the thought of a 2k scares me! :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Very Good time H!

3m22 would mean second 1k was 3m34.

I can only imagine the anguish as the splits started dropping in the 3rd 500m and legs by then were hanging on?

Good on you for doing it - the thought of a 2k scares me! :D

I'd the projected finish showing the entire time. I knew once I held 1.45-1.47 for the last 500 I'd come in under 7. When I came thru the first 1km at 3m 22s I knew I was gonna be fine.

Tbh even thru the last 250m I was comfortable. It was only after that it hit me.

I'm half thinking of < 3min 1km. Is that even doable?!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Is sub 3m doable for 1km well yes it is.

However it is far harder than you'd think.

IMO - the 500m can be muscled to some extent.

Big Loz (Strongman) has done a 1m19 500m which is immense.

The 2k is where you really need good technique and fitness.

Remember Matthew Pinsent - don't think he'd ever pulled even for a stroke or two much less than 1m12-1m14 and at his time in the GB camp when doing max power tests one or two would hit 1m09 or so.

However he did average 1m26 or a bit less for a 2k and did 1m39 and a bit at altitude for 30mins 9k+ in half an hour. 1m30 for 15mins which was a 5k.

No doubt he would have done a sub 2m50 for a 1k at his peak imo maybe 2m48 or so.

Now the thing is - he'd not look rushed - still great technique - setting 4-5, maybe 6.

We might get it lower for a single stroke than he would or the same kind of time but what they have is the ability to maintain near maximum power for a lot longer than we could ever dream of.

Now is a 1k a sprint or an endurance event?

My dentist who is an ex rower thinks 2m59.9 is doable but he felt you needed to be training hard for it for a 6-12 months - doing your 20 minute pieces to build endurance and then bring in the speed whilst also working on your strength such as squats, cleans, bench pulls etc.

Here is the things you'd do sub 1m30 for 500m right?

If you set the pace boat for say 1m30 - I would see how long I could match him for - could you get 600m or more at 1m30?

Sean (dentist) wants the 6-12months of dedicated training so that one can achieve the sub 3mins without needing an ambulance and oxygen on standby at the end.

However I am of the opinion if one wants to revisit a meal or two and is prepared for unhuman levels of discomfort then maybe the 3k could be achieved in a faster manner by working up to it.

500m at 1m30
    550m at 1m30 etc.

I could drop down to Rev and offer some advice in a do as I say and don't be wondering why I left my training gear at home kind of way! :D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Is sub 3m doable for 1km well yes it is.

However it is far harder than you'd think.

I think it's the most miserable test I can imagine....

IMO - the 500m can be muscled to some extent.

Big Loz (Strongman) has done a 1m19 500m which is immense.

The 2k is where you really need good technique and fitness.

Remember Matthew Pinsent - don't think he'd ever pulled even for a stroke or two much less than 1m12-1m14 and at his time in the GB camp when doing max power tests one or two would hit 1m09 or so.

However he did average 1m26 or a bit less for a 2k and did 1m39 and a bit at altitude for 30mins 9k+ in half an hour. 1m30 for 15mins which was a 5k.

No doubt he would have done a sub 2m50 for a 1k at his peak imo maybe 2m48 or so.

Now the thing is - he'd not look rushed - still great technique - setting 4-5, maybe 6.

We might get it lower for a single stroke than he would or the same kind of time but what they have is the ability to maintain near maximum power for a lot longer than we could ever dream of.

Now is a 1k a sprint or an endurance event?

My dentist who is an ex rower thinks 2m59.9 is doable but he felt you needed to be training hard for it for a 6-12 months - doing your 20 minute pieces to build endurance and then bring in the speed whilst also working on your strength such as squats, cleans, bench pulls etc.

Here is the things you'd do sub 1m30 for 500m right?

Yeah I tink the long distance endurance work makes a lot of sense - kind of matches how long distance sprinters train too. Better your endurance, the longer it takes to go anaerobic and the longer you can stay producing power before lactate wins!

I've done a 1m 23.8s 500m. Just looked and my 1km PR was 3m 20s, but I'm guessing my rowing fitness is far above that.
    If you set the pace boat for say 1m30 - I would see how long I could match him for - could you get 600m or more at 1m30?

Reckon I probably could... you're looking at what, another 18s or so at that pace to get to 600m?
    Sean (dentist) wants the 6-12months of dedicated training so that one can achieve the sub 3mins without needing an ambulance and oxygen on standby at the end.

However I am of the opinion if one wants to revisit a meal or two and is prepared for unhuman levels of discomfort then maybe the 3k could be achieved in a faster manner by working up to it.

500m at 1m30
    550m at 1m30 etc.

I could drop down to Rev and offer some advice in a do as I say and don't be wondering why I left my training gear at home kind of way! :D

I wonder what brute force and pig ignorance could do alright. Can't really say I fancy trying tho. Might take a lash at a 500 some time next week. I don't have my C2 in RF sadly :( CAn't wait to move somewhere bigger so I can rob it off Barry.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    H how big is Rev Fit?

600m is probably doable and maybe a bit more is BUT the big issue here is going too hard too fast at the start. If doing a 3min 1k then no need to do the first 500m in 1m25 etc. best to be more measured.

1m29.9 on the paceboat or similar and see how long you can last. Maybe set a 1k up on the erg and pace at 1m30 and see how you end up.

If you measure splits over 50m you'll get a good 20 results of where you were and how you were doing etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thought i'd do the challenge this morning, albeit after a legs workout (what was i thinking) but managed to get 3:50.8
    I then fell off the machine and nearly puked catching my breath. Guess the challenge now is to get that down a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thought I was in better shape (too many pies over the Christmas....) but barely made it under 7mins for 2K last week. Started off at 1:34/500m but it was around 1:50/500m at the end.

So to get ready for 2K in UL I'm going back to long rows starting around 1:50-1:55 pace and aiming for 1:45. Gentle 50 minute row yesterday.....sore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    boys on the footy team were doing 3:20 - 3:50. Some of the 110kg+ boys did ~ 3:10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    did 4.22 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Less than 2 minutes
    bduffy wrote: »
    Thought I was in better shape (too many pies over the Christmas....) but barely made it under 7mins for 2K last week. Started off at 1:34/500m but it was around 1:50/500m at the end.

So to get ready for 2K in UL I'm going back to long rows starting around 1:50-1:55 pace and aiming for 1:45. Gentle 50 minute row yesterday.....sore today.

Nice 2km time.

I'm training for 500m in UL.
    Don't think I'd be able to put in a respectable enough 2km time.

What does your programme involve for it?
    Number of sessions per week etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

First 2k of 2013, 6:48.9, was off my best time by 6 seconds but im fairly unfit at the moment so its my own fault.

Also i think after doing 1k's for the last while the 2k felt easy, no rolling around on the ground in agony holding in my lunch.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    jugger0 wrote: »
    First 2k of 2013, 6:48.9, was off my best time by 6 seconds but im fairly unfit at the moment so its my own fault.

Also i think after doing 1k's for the last while the 2k felt easy, no rolling around on the ground in agony holding in my lunch.

Did 3.53min for 1000m yesterday. A new personal best. Challenge now is to get to 3.40.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Did 3.53min for 1000m yesterday. A new personal best. Challenge now is to get to 3.40.

How'd you feel after it?

Between 2 and 3 minutes

How'd you feel after it?

Not too bad. I think I can improve on that hopefully. Last 250m were sore though.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I am not even going to attempt a 1k this month - common sense has won over.

Although you never know... :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Plan is to do two or three 10K (Mon/Wed/Sat) and then a 2K (Fri).
    Still 30 secs off my PB but also a good few Kilos!

6:47.9, a one second improvement... took the first 1k way too handy id say

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    5K today at 1:54/500m (resistance on machine was funny, getting drag factor of over 200!), then 10 mins on the treadmill, then averaged 17 sec then for 100m intervals
    Then I went to work.....
    (so much for the 10k, gym was freezing......)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    ^^^ LoL - early am you and the fellow trainers are the heaters! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Tried the 1km today for the first time in about 6 months and came in at 3:48.
    20 seconds away my best time last year. Going to aim to do this at least once a week from now until I plateau and then move onto 2kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

I can row 1600 metres in just under 6min if thats any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3.11mins 1km at the weekend.

Best time was a 2.56mins from a 42yr old guy - killed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Last week, 3:32. No real warmp up, just jumped on and rocked it out. The nest two 1000m were in around 3:45. Elbows killed me after due on going tennis elbows problems.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »
    3.11mins 1km at the weekend.

Best time was a 2.56mins from a 42yr old guy - killed it!

Excellent time Dom! Is that a pb?

Was this in some competition?

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Crossfit London Throwdown!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Excellent time 2m56 as is 3m11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3:42 tonight, this is after 2 days of rest. I went at it too intense at the start and made the mistake of having a bit of energy at the end.
    At least I know now where I went wrong. Aim is to get it down to 3:30 within the next 5 attempts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes

havent done a competitive 1km row before so first real try.

Will go again in 3 weeks and aim to go 3.08-3.09min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Yesterday i did some intervals.
    10 * 250m with 45 seconds rest. All but one under 45s
    10 * 150m with 30 seconds rest. All under 30s

Gonna do a small pyramid today 150-250-500-1000-500-250-150. Can this be programmed into a PM4?

My 1000m time is around 3.20. Might test it again on Friday.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »
    havent done a competitive 1km row before so first real try.

Will go again in 3 weeks and aim to go 3.08-3.09min

It is a great time - were you surprised with the time or had no idea what to really aim for?

How did the 1k go was it even splits or faster at the start etc.

You'll definitely shave 5 seconds off this with a few more goes!:)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Yesterday i did some intervals.
    10 * 250m with 45 seconds rest. All but one under 45s
    10 * 150m with 30 seconds rest. All under 30s

Gonna do a small pyramid today 150-250-500-1000-500-250-150. Can this be programmed into a CM4?

My 1000m time is around 3.20. Might test it again on Friday.

Great stuff Tom!

This thread is getting competitive some great times!:D

1K today, 3:08.1, hot girl beside me was trying to race i think...

Between 2 and 3 minutes

There's no better incentive......

Did a 3:13 on Tuesday, outside PB by 10 sec, and had a crippling pain in my shoulder since yesterday!
    'til next time... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Did ya win?!

Did ya win?!

Crushed her like an empty packet of skips.

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Probably helped you out by a few seconds and did you act super cool at the end as if it was nothing but fall down in a heap out of sight? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Crushed her like an empty packet of skips.

And how did the race go?

Probably helped you out by a few seconds and did you act super cool at the end as if it was nothing but fall down in a heap out of sight? :D

Of course, held it together until i got to the stretching room then laid down in the corner and cried like a little girl :o
    link_2007 wrote: »
    And how did the race go?

I lol'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    Second attempt at 1000m i came in at 4m 39 secs,slow compared to others here but i think i could drop under 4mins with some more work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Less than 2 minutes
    Many going to UL on Sunday for the indoor rowing championships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    my 2k time is 7.30 so I'll try this next week and see how it goes. Hopefully get in around 3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I have been getting under 4.40 consistantly now for the last month, my best has probably been 4.33. Would like to push to under 4.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Many going to UL on Sunday for the indoor rowing championships?

Was there today. Happy with results, personal best and a medal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    Never checked the time for 1K, usually do 1200 in 5 mins.

Reckon it would be just under the 4 minute mark.

Must check it out next time

• Advertisement
Advertisement