Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The commentator could do with a bit of work on his motivation! I believe he said 'nothing left in the tank' with 350m to go - where is the encouragement!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hi, just saw this thread today.

I'm a 46 year old ex rugby player and started to use an erg (concept 2) recently to lose weight and get fit.

I usually do a 30 min session 3 - 4 times per week. My usual is 7km at a time of between 30m 27s and 30m 52s depending on how tired I feel. My SPM is usually mid 20s, 24 - 27. My split times average about 2.12 for 500m.

I feel good after the workout, when I can walk and talk. Am I doing ok and can I improve?

Thanks

Of course you can get better. I would set the machine for 30 minutes and measure the metres - strokes are ok but 20-24 would be better.

The bench mark for yourself would be 30mins at 2m00 pace.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

Killme00 wrote: »
    I used to train with Damian, he's a beast. Paul Buchanan's time is something else!

Damian offered to come down to me next week and work on some technique, very decent bloke. I had told him I was enjoying the time on the erg, he ominously replied with "we'll change that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Hi, just saw this thread today.

I'm a 46 year old ex rugby player and started to use an erg (concept 2) recently to lose weight and get fit.

I usually do a 30 min session 3 - 4 times per week. My usual is 7km at a time of between 30m 27s and 30m 52s depending on how tired I feel. My SPM is usually mid 20s, 24 - 27. My split times average about 2.12 for 500m.

I feel good after the workout, when I can walk and talk. Am I doing ok and can I improve?

Thanks

Of course you can get better. I would set the machine for 30 minutes and measure the metres - strokes are ok but 20-24 would be better.

The bench mark for yourself would be 30mins at 2m00 pace.:)

My distance after 30min is approx 6,850m.

If I drop my spm to 20-24 I'll need to increase my split time to maintain distance.

As my fitness and technique improve so will my performance. As it stands am I doing ok? Looking for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

More than willing to improve but not looking to make the London 2012 team either. Enjoying the exercise and improved wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Paul91 wrote: »
    I met Damian on Sunday - huge potential and will go far

I manage 6:11.8 for the 2k - slower than I wanted - but happy with Gold - the link below is a vid of my race - note my technique is awful - the guy to the left (Ryan) is very good.

Great race, nothing left to give! The technique isn't as smooth as Ryan's but he does alot of training, pushing 5K in the 16:40 - 17:00 region if I remember correctly. He also took part in a transatlantic attempt with Ian McKeever a couple of years ago.
    I remember you now from DCU last year, power the whole way, you were beside me! The one thing I notice when I start tiring is that I don't pulling up as high into the chest (as it means puling me elbows further back), and the same can be seen from the video. But on race day, technique tends to go by the wayside as the machines always seem to be easier than the ones you're used to (adrenaline rush I suppose).
    Great time and gold medal to go into the Temple!

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    My distance after 30min is approx 6,850m.

If I drop my spm to 20-24 I'll need to increase my split time to maintain distance.

As my fitness and technique improve so will my performance. As it stands am I doing ok? Looking for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

More than willing to improve but not looking to make the London 2012 team either. Enjoying the exercise and improved wellbeing.

They expect 9000m in 30 mins at a stroke rate of 20 so 1m40 split all the way!:)

You are doing ok - it is a personal thing though for me to set the machine to 30 minutes rather than the metres.

In 30 minutes 7500m is a sizeable bench mark for a man.

If you can get a bit better and hit 7000m in 30mins that would be great and then go up to 7250m etc.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I have a bit of an issue with the tendons in my right elbow.

I thought perhaps the 'hard' rowing may have tweaked it but upon reflection it may have been caused by messing around with the wii!:eek:

Damn baseball is hard on the elbows!:)

Did a gentle 30 mins this am - did 7735m at rate 20 - was not so bad as I focused on the watts not the split.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Last week before a back session I got the OH to do a few start and fives to see how low she could get the split.

She did maybe 3 of them and on the 4th was going better but came off the seat and clipped the metal rail and ended on the floor.

I did not see any of this as I was looking at the monitor giving encouragement when I hear a shriek/eek and look around and she is sitting on the floor.

Imagine my surprise and the response when I ask in a surprised and confused manner what are you doing down there!?

Bit of a bruise on the right cheek but kicker is she hit 1m40 as the lowest split and was going for 1m39!:)

My elbow (right) is much better thanks to 4 x 10 minutes with a infrared heat lamp and a day off yesterday - not perfect but much better - reckon I can row easy with the elbow but will do bike instead today.

Big Terry Hollands claims he did in the past a 1m06 for 500m - 4.5 seconds faster than the acknowledged world record and 7.5 seconds faster than the 2nd fastest time...who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

Did a gentle 30 mins this am - did 7735m at rate 20 - was not so bad as I focused on the watts not the split.

Christ, I'm way off, I did a 30mins 6591m at 21spm

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    As am I mate!:)

I need or more accurately would like to be doing 8000m as a minimum where as now it is more like 7650-7750m.

Today I did the bike to rest my elbow - averaged 268 watts on the bike which suggests 1m49 average on the erg!

Lesson learnt bike is easier!:D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    My right elbow is still not 100% but even still I decided the erg was worth doing.

Given the tendon issues I knew rowing at a lower drag would be preferable so set the erg to 100 which equates to 3.5/3.75 on this erg.

Think of this like rowing with the current or against or running uphill versus downhill etc.

3 minute warm-up - 774m

5000m piece - I wanted to go nice and easy. Once again I used the watts as my guide. I set the watts to 222.

Now this equates to 1m56.3.

I was going easy but the stroke rate was an easy 20 and I was getting faster as it went on and ended up averaging 243 watts which is 1m52.9

I was very happy with this tbh.

The 5k time was 18m49.5

3 minute cool down - 782m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    My right elbow is still not 100% but even still I decided the erg was worth doing.

Given the tendon issues I knew rowing at a lower drag would be preferable so set the erg to 100 which equates to 3.5/3.75 on this erg.

I've been doing all my rowing on a much lower drag setting and have found that my elbow is feeling much better this week. I've only being doing 2k rows and the times are nothing to post about.

After reading all these 30 min row I'm starting to feel like a kid doing just 2km rows. I'm almost tempted to try a 30 minute session some day in the distant future. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Colin mention me to Damian and I absolutely guarantee he'll tell you the "heart rate" story. Guarantee.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I've been doing all my rowing on a much lower drag setting and have found that my elbow is feeling much better this week. I've only being doing 2k rows and the times are nothing to post about.

After reading all these 30 min row I'm starting to feel like a kid doing just 2km rows. I'm almost tempted to try a 30 minute session some day in the distant future. :D

It makes a lot of sense mate!

I also double dose the deep heat spray before hand. So 6 sprays to the affected area instead of 3 and then stick the neoprene wrap on it.

It is then very easy to row at the lower drag as IMO & IME the lower drag with a softer finish (arm part) makes you use the legs more which ain't a bad thing.

30 minutes is definitely worth doing and deep down you know you want to!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Colin mention me to Damian and I absolutely guarantee he'll tell you the "heart rate" story. Guarantee.

Then come back on here and tell us!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

For some reason the the 15-20min row I did turned into a 25min row then a 30min one, then 35, I ended up doing 40mins for the stupidest of reasons. In the 40mins I did 6100m my spm varied from 21(when I tuned out and stared blankly at something shiny) to 28, the split varied too from about 2.55(tuned out at the shiny) to 3.45

There were two difficult bits, when the stupid reason sat in the rower next to me (very awkward and distracting moment) and the last 4mins when I stopped staring at the shiny.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    30 minutes is definitely worth doing and deep down you know you want to!:D

lol, I do in some sort of sadistic way. :D I'm normally good at endurance but with the rower that's a different ball game. At least for the moment I have my elbow to talk me out of it :P

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Orla K wrote: »
    For some reason the the 15-20min row I did turned into a 25min row then a 30min one, then 35, I ended up doing 40mins for the stupidest of reasons. In the 40mins I did 6100m my spm varied from 21(when I tuned out and stared blankly at something shiny) to 28, the split varied too from about 2.55(tuned out at the shiny) to 3.45

There were two difficult bits, when the stupid reason sat in the rower next to me (very awkward and distracting moment) and the last 4mins when I stopped staring at the shiny.

40mins!!! That's just madness :eek:

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    lol, I do in some sort of sadistic way. :D I'm normally good at endurance but with the rower that's a different ball game. At least for the moment I have my elbow to talk me out of it :P

Dare I say it but the 30 minutes at the low drag and intensity could actually be beneficial for the elbow - I see it as very gentle work but it is 30 minutes so about 600-700 reps and gets the blood flowing and gives gentle extension and contraction.

However | was conscious to release my fingers on the way forward to release pressure in the forearm.

Talked you back into it?:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Orla K wrote: »

I am well used to this - in fact the more people the better as long as they don't try to chat.:D

What I do now though is move the erg forward by about 3 feet so I am ahead of the other ergs and this way I can see the pool so closer to the water! LOL

Good on you for doing the 40 minutes - you are making good progress!

The most distracting for me would be an annoying song on the big screen in front of me - such as MTV EMA's etc as the lame jokes distract you and you find yourself watching it - key thing - turn the distraction into power on the machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I am well used to this - in fact the more people the better as long as they don't try to chat.:D

What I do now though is move the erg forward by about 3 feet so I am ahead of the other ergs and this way I can see the pool so closer to the water! LOL

Good on you for doing the 40 minutes - you are making good progress!

The most distracting for me would be an annoying song on the big screen in front of me - such as MTV EMA's etc as the lame jokes distract you and you find yourself watching it - key thing - turn the distraction into power on the machine!

This one that sat on the one next to me would never have started chatting to me, one day I tried saying hello to her and she slowly turned her back to me and put her head in the air. I didn't know what to do when she sat next to me so I ended up just kept going. It was actually grand, I'm a little sore today but I think that's from other things I was doing.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I don't understand people like that Orla - costs nothing to be nice imo!

Today I just used the erg for a warm-up and a cool down both gentle but at decent pace.

3m warm-up was 888m at 23spm which equates to 1m41.3 or 340 watts.

2m cool-down after a back workout was 602m at 22spm which equates to 1m39.6 or 355 watts.

Happy enough to be honest as doing a 1k now in about the 3m20 mark at 22spm looks relatively comfortable - trick then for me is to get this upto perhaps 3m12-3m15 at a similarly slow/low stroke rate and then work on my speed to get the time even lower.

The drag was 101 for both pieces which is about 3.5.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Browsing youtube for erg clips I came across this one:

Apart from the hillarity of the clip she is actually a very decent rower and her technique is very good.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Turns out I will be using a club in the UK over the next 3 months on and off for a while and a relative has informed me they have a 1000m erg challenge.

He initially told me the fastest time was 2m40!:eek::D

Then he said maybe it was 3m40! LOL

I'll be finding out what the best time is and hopefully massaging my ego...

Don't mention your erging to family or friends - as it'll end up with oh they have a comp in our club you should give it a go.:)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I did another 30 mins today.

7776m / 30mins / 20spm / 226w / 1m55.7

Now the first 3 mins were ok but from 3 minutes in until 18minutes it was shocking.

Basically I felt bad - no power and had something in my throat - you know - wanted to cough but could not really do so.

My splits taken every 3 mnutes show where it all went wrong!:D

1. 3 mins / 1m55.3 / 20
    2. 6 mins / 1m56.1 / 20
    3. 9 mins / 1m57 / 20
    4. 12mins / 1m58.2 / 20
    5. 15mins / 1m57.4 / 21
    6. 18mins / 1m57.3 / 21
    7. 21mins / 1m54.9 / 21
    8. 24mins / 1m54.9 / 21
    9. 27mins / 1m54.7 / 21
    10. 30mins / 1m52 / 21
    Feel fine now btw so just a glitch on the machine - hopefully will break 8k for 30 mins before the end of the year - no pressure then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Less than 2 minutes
    Got my best ever 500m row time today.
    1 min 29.5 seconds.
    Drag factor 7, avg stroke rate - 37

Was on 1 min 20 pace for first 300m, kinda hit the wall then.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I think the call this the 'fly and die' piece!:D

Awesome work hitting 1m20 pace for 300m mate.

300m is a recognised distance online with records for Ireland/UK etc.

Based on your final time you must have finished doing what 1m40 or so?

Would you be able to do 1m25 for more than 300m?

This your first time under 1m30?

Guy who set the world record (1m10.5) coached a guy to a 1m20 500m - based on your 300m at 1m20 pace - you will hit 1m20 in the future mate and imo a sub 1m20 500m is very much world class!

Good on you Liam - pb's are always satisfying!

I do think level 7 is about right for a 500m piece. Current record holder from the UK would use 7/8 on his 500m/100m pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Less than 2 minutes
    Yeah, it was my first time under 1:30.

The display was saying 1:17 & 1:18 at one stage and then it progressively got slower.

Might try drag of 8 next time.

I don't have any real interest in distances over 500m, don't really have any speed endurance!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    1m17 is good Liam.

The recognised distances below 500m are afaik:

1. 100m
    2. 300m
    3. 1 minute
    One can set national records in all of the above!:D

Dependent on age class etc.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Today in the gym knew I was doing the erg but did not know exactly what to do.

Good news was - 'my' erg was still as I left in on Thursday but upon sitting down I realised why!

Somebody had undone the footstraps - no idea why but after a minute I had them back where they should be.

It did make me think about doing this when I get off the machine but resisted!:D

As I said no idea what I wanted to do.

Did a 3minute warm-up of 822m was nice and easy. 1m49 / 500m and 21spm.

Did a 1minute piece of 299m so 1m40.3 or so and was easy but elbow tendonitis is still giving me a bit of jip at sub 1m40.

Based on that I decided to do a 5k piece.

Last time I did it in 18m49.3. So I set the pace boat to this time and off I went.

I am using the watts as my guide now but it worked well at the start but now I kind of have a rough idea what the watts equate to in split times.

The 5k was done at an average 21 spm and I did it in 18m25.5 (IIRC). The average watts were 259 (IIRC). 1m50.5 average splits.

I kind of knew that with 500m to go if I hit 1m40 for the last 500m I be sub 18m20 or just under 1m50 pace.

The last 500m was 1m46 hence my time.

It was not bad - could have gone a smidge faster and would like to go under 18m soon.

Goal for 5k is 16m40.:D

Advertisement