Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »
    I think it was on 10... Does it matter?

No, unless you're training to row on water in which case they suggest a setting of 3-4 to simulate rowing on water.

It doesn't matter what setting you're on, you'll still need to use the same amount of energy to cover the same distance.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Why don't you go at level 10? My rowing knowledge is limited and still don't get how 10 and 4 don't offer different levels of resistance.

10 is like rowing a big heavy boat and 4 would be like rowing a small light boat.
    The benefit of rowing the larger boat is that each stroke maybe harder to pull but the size and weight of the boat will allow it to travel further before slowing down. Where as the smaller lighter boat will slow down much quicker after each stroke.
    All things being equal, if I pull a 500m at the same stroke rate on L4 and L10, which should be quicker??

L10, but all things are not equal, you have to cover a set distance. It's a bit like saying there's a ton of weights you need to move, which would be quicker, moving them in sets of 100kg or sets of 40kg. It's all depends on the person.
    With strokes, you should generally always aim to rate 28-32, the extra "speed"/faster times being pulled by virtue of a higher power output per stroke, by pulling harder?

Pushing harder. Blast out with all the power your legs can give is the answer!

Try rowing by just pulling and try rowing by just pushing. Pushing will win all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just to note that the 500 we do is just a test and the standard for the test is level 10.

For anything longer than that you'd just burn your arms out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did a 3m 20.8s 1km tonight after coaching. Damper set to 6. Rated at 30 s/m. About a 6 out of 10 difficulty. How's that put me in the running so far?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did a 3m 20.8s 1km tonight after coaching. Damper set to 6. Rated at 30 s/m. About a 6 out of 10 difficulty. How's that put me in the running so far?

Even for only a 6 out of 10 effort thats still a good 1km time! You've still got another 4 gears to go :D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just to note that the 500 we do is just a test and the standard for the test is level 10.

Level 10 isn't any hard than level 4. You can't cheat on the rower :D

AntiVirus wrote: »

Level 10 isn't any hard than level 4. You can't cheat on the rower :D
    Not for covering distance but when you're talking about fatigue of the arms, the additional resistance does make you burn out is what I mean.

I have to say I didn't think I'd ever say i missed the erg but I definitely did.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Not for covering distance but when you're talking about fatigue of the arms, the additional resistance does make you burn out is what I mean.

I have to say I didn't think I'd ever say i missed the erg but I definitely did.

I'd aggree that 10 does give a better all over burn than any other setting would.

I've not been on the C2 for a few months now but I'll be going back to it tomorrow. In a strange way, I'm looking forward to it! :pac:

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Now to fill my days idly reading about C2 training...

Best resources anyone?

No kidding here...

Crossfit.

The forum there has probably the best resource on using the C2 as a general conditioning tool (ie. not for getting better at rowing)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    No kidding here...

Crossfit.

The forum there has probably the best resource on using the C2 as a general conditioning tool (ie. not for getting better at rowing)

Should I snatch it??

You don't need to you own it already?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    You don't need to you own it already?

Hmmm... should probably clean it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Pretty good actually!

3m10 is a very good time and anything under 3 minutes is very, very good.

How was it btw?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    No kidding here...

Crossfit.

But some of the technique is shocking - times are good but technique shocking.

This thread has some decent tips and clips.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Pretty good actually!

3m10 is a very good time and anything under 3 minutes is very, very good.

How was it btw?

hah really? class!! Bringing some leg drive in made a huge difference.

It was honestly fine. Stood up after, walked it off. No death at all. Was ready to go again in about 4 or 5 minutes and then deicded since there's a big seminar in Kyuzo today and had already done my rehab work I'd be sensible. I'll give a 2km time trial ago tomorrow. I'd like to say I'll see if I can get in under 7 minutes, but that could be pie in the sky stuff.

Just watching some rowing tekkers vids atm. I'm doing it so wrong!!

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Looks like that Irish 20-29yo 500m record's up for grabs! :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The big advantage you have is going into this blind so to speak no previous hatred of the machine etc.:)

Technique becomes more important the longer the distance.

2k it is very important - 100m does not matter at all, in fact the technique to row a good 2k would decrease your 100m time.

I am going for a sub 3 mins 1k this year.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    It does look like that for the 500m BUT 2 seconds is a lifetime at the sharp end.

Before I had to take a break pre-xmas I was doing sub 1m20 for 300m.

I tweaked something which was annoying.

I would like to do a 1m19.5 for 500m but not sure which I would be more capable of doing without hurting myself!:D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The big advantage you have is going into this blind so to speak no previous hatred of the machine etc.:)

Brute force and pig ignorance FTW!!

I'm guessing with 1km and up, aerobic base becomes very important?
    It does look like that for the 500m BUT 2 seconds is a lifetime at the sharp end.

Before I had to take a break pre-xmas I was doing sub 1m20 for 300m.

I tweaked something which was annoying.

I would like to do a 1m19.5 for 500m but not sure which I would be more capable of doing without hurting myself!:D

Yeah I can well imagine. I'd have to check, but I think I had a 1m 20s split up to the first 250m. Then I just died....

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    A rowing coach will break every piece into 4 segments.

1st is below race pace. 2nd and 3rd you stick it to race pace and 4th if anything left go for it.

Try and think of it like this - inside the c2 is a spinning metal flywheel and we are trying to keep it spinning as fast as possible whilst expending the least amount of effort.

Once at speed it's just keep tapping it to keep the speed up etc.

One thing you could do is see where you go doing say 1 minute at:

20spm
    22spm
    24spm
    26spm
    28spm
    30spm

Really drive hard on 20 and you will be mid 1m30's at a guess and then you think - well surely I can do three of these? :D

My best 1k since this thread was started is 3m17.6 and a few lads were sub 3m10.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    1k you defo need endurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Looks like that Irish 20-29yo 500m record's up for grabs! :D

It looks like a few of those records are up for grabs.
    I pulled a 1m 38.9s last night and I'm completly rubbish. The record for 30-39 lwt is only 1m 37.7s. If I'm getting close then its very achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

how to you officially submit a score for the records? does it need to be done in a test centre or official meet up? can you just take a photo of the concept2's screen?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    brownej wrote: »
    It looks like a few of those records are up for grabs.
    I pulled a 1m 38.9s last night and I'm completly rubbish. The record for 30-39 lwt is only 1m 37.7s. If I'm getting close then its very achievable.

This is so one of those deals where a real rower looks at it and goes "who gives a **** about a C2 record?" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This is so one of those deals where a real rower looks at it and goes "who gives a **** about a C2 record?" :D:D

Yeah, pretty much.
    I posted earlier that I was a few seconds and lbs off the lightweight record.
    Might give it a go for the sake of a target.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I don't know lads.

Rowers by and large will be good on most distances but on 500m and below it is up for grabs.

Pinsent said when they were doing 10 bursts of 10 strokes the best UK olympians might hit 1m12 or 1m11 or maybe 1m09 based on the machine and where they were altitude etc. he also said he was by no means anywhere near the best.

Therefore we can assume he might hit 1m14 or so for a stroke or two but can maintain 1m25.6 for 5m42 seconds and can maintain 1m31.1 for 15 minutes!

I think Cracknell maintained 1m30.9 for the 15mins or 5k.

Loz Shalalei - UK strongman has done a sub 1m20 for 500m as has Pudz and Karlsen did 1m16 or so.

They are exceptional times. Darren Sadler a sub 105kg UK strongman has also done sub 1m20 which is excellent.

I think the machine can be muscled for 500m and maybe a bit more but 1k and up the smooth technique is an advantage.

To get a record for C2:

• Either do it at an indoor event sanctioned by C2.
    • Video the whole event.
    • Use the latest machine with a PM4 which gives a code for every time.
    They don't really care to be honest on the above unless it's a really good time.

Machines do vary as well IMO not by much but a bit so find a machine you like and keep using the same one all the time!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Played some more on the C2 tonight

-15 minutes of rehab/prehab
    -5 minute block on the C2 - rated at 26 with an average split of about 1m 43s and covered over 1,400m
    -did about 45 minutes of BJJ drilling
    -coached for an hour
    -15 minutes of rehab/prehab
    -5 minute block on the C2 - rated at 27 with an average split of about 1m 42.5s and covered 1,450m

Wonder if I'd have the nutzz to hold that pace for another 2 minutes and go sub 7m for 2km...

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Wonder if I'd have the nutzz to hold that pace for another 2 minutes and go sub 7m for 2km...

I'd be very impressed if you got under 7 minutes on your first 2k row! Just have some where nice ready where you can collapse afterwards :D

Advertisement