Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'd be very impressed if you got under 7 minutes on your first 2k row! Just have some where nice ready where you can collapse afterwards :D

It wouldn't be very hard to just sandbag and wait until I knew I had to actually give it a shot :D

I'll try for sure before May is out assuming I manage to do something I haven't done in 6 months and get thru a month injury free.

EDIT: and I'd be correct in saying a < 7min 2k is a decent enough time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »
    I'd be very impressed if you got under 7 minutes on your first 2k row! Just have some where nice ready where you can collapse afterwards :D

It wouldn't be very hard to just sandbag and wait until I knew I had to actually give it a shot :D

I'll try for sure before May is out assuming I manage to do something I haven't done in 6 months and get thru a month injury free.

I managed to convince myself not to try the C2 today, I didn't want it to affect my leg session :D

Good luck when you do try, sub 7mins are excellent times.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I managed to convince myself not to try the C2 today, I didn't want it to affect my leg session :D

Good luck when you do try, sub 7mins are excellent times.

Hmmm if my calcs are right and I've pulled 1,450 in 5 mins, I need to do the last 550m at a 1m 49.5s pace. Sounds doable right now knowing I did 5 min at a 1m 43.5s average. But practically, probably not so doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    To get a record for C2:
    • Either do it at an indoor event sanctioned by C2.
    • Video the whole event.
    • Use the latest machine with a PM4 which gives a code for every time.

Actually Guvnor, the PM3 will give you the code too as long as its running above verson 90, I think v.90 is pretty old too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Sub 7 is good.

If you want my opinion good times for the erg for a non-rower but fit heavyweight male (11st+) would be:

• 500m under 1m30
    • 1000m under 3m16
    • 2000m under 6m40 / 7m00
    • 5000m under 19m00 / 18m20
    • 7500m in 30 minutes.
    Longer pieces under 2 minutes - sprints under 1m40.

Bench mark for rowers back in the 90's was 2500m in sub 8 minutes which is 1m36 pace.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Mellor - I'm just happy some of the pm3 turn on in my gym and the batteries don't die mid piece!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I did a 2k row today in a time of 7:22 which I'm pretty pleased with. I just tried to blast my way through it but my technique was crap more pulling than pushing. You don't want to know my my SPM where :D

My PB is 7:19 but I'm pretty sure I'll beat that this month but trying to knock 22 seconds off is going to take a long long time. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

could an experienced rower do a quicker 2k than a complete novice with a much lower stroke rate?

for example, an experienced rower going at 18 spm beat a novice going 30spm?

like can the machine know a good rower with good technique would get more distance per stroke?

i tried to get faster by increasing my stroke rate but i think i just tired myself out

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    could an experienced rower do a quicker 2k than a complete novice with a much lower stroke rate?

for example, an experienced rower going at 18 spm beat a novice going 30spm?

like can the machine know a good rower with good technique would get more distance per stroke?

Yes they could. It's all about the power behind each stroke.
    i tried to get faster by increasing my stroke rate but i think i just tired myself out

What ever way you increase the speed is going to make that happen :D

If your stroke rate is high and your times are not that good, you're probably not pushing hard enough with your legs.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The UK team have to do 30 mins at a rate of 20 and in the 30 mins they are expected to do 9000m.

This is a regular session every week - probably 2-4 times in the winter or more.

This equates to:

500m - 1m40
    1000m - 3m20
    2000m - 6m40
    5000m - 16m40

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The UK team have to do 30 mins at a rate of 20 and in the 30 mins they are expected to do 9000m.

9000m in 30mins! :eek:

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    But the 9k was a given apparently - not saying they could all do this but 9k was what was expected at rate 20.

Cracknell did 5000m in 15m09.9 so where would they be for 30 minutes - my view is possibly 9200-9300 or so which is 1m38 pace.

Pinsent did 9k at altitude which apparently knocks upto 10% off your performance so who knows.

9k every week.

I did a 5k yesterday 19m08.6 and was disgusted with the time but then I thought if I went on for 30 minutes I would add at least another 2750m which is not bad so ended up happy enough with the piece.

Next goal is sub 19m and then lower and lower and lower hopefully until I get sub 18m!

Fingers crossed.:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I did a 5k again today and managed a 18m54.1.

SPM averaged 21
    1st 2500m were done in 9m30
    2nd 2500m were done in 9m24.1
    Average pace 1m53.4

It was not easy but then is it ever? I could have gone faster if my life depended on it but realistically I doubt if I could have done much better than low 18m40's.

At least this way I will be ok to do another 5k tomorrow or the day after.

The OH was persuaded to do the erg as well - set her up for 4k and assumed I'd be done in just under 19m and she'd take about 19m20 or so by averaging 2m25/500m.

Imagine my surprise then when she was finished whilst I still have a 100m+ left to go!:eek:

Turns out that despite not erging for ages she managed a 4k in 18m29. No chance of me beating that today.

Her average was 2m18.6/500m SPM average was 21.

I think it's a fair comparison for a woman to do 4k and a man to do 5k and finish in roughly the same time.

For example if I was pulling a 16m40 for 5k I'd be doing 1m40 splits (Not anytime soon) and she'd be pulling 2m05 splits.

If she gets much faster the distance will be increased to 4200m!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Went for one of those 20 s/m pieces today. Set the timer to 10mins, pulled 2,700m at a 1m 51s pace. Sooooo difficult staying down that low with strokes.

And it felt seriously slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    500m. silly idea after heavy squats. But I thought I was ok as volume was low.
    I wasn't.
    Legs were dead in second half. Tried to give it a blast for the alst 100 m but was nothing here. finished at 1.35.5 - PB is 1.34.6 I think so should be good to take a bit off that when fresh. Next week, next week...

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That is a great result H.
    20 spm is what it is but these pieces give you a second gear so to speak for sprints.

If you are always doing say 30 spm where do you? 40 spm - at least with 20spm you can go to 28-30 etc.:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That is a great result H.
    20 spm is what it is but these pieces give you a second gear so to speak for sprints.

If you are always doing say 30 spm where do you? 40 spm - at least with 20spm you can go to 28-30 etc.:D

Is it? Great!! :D

How do I make it longer? (giggidy) Just pull harder? (once again, giggidy) Constant stroke rate tho yah? (ok, that one was on purpose)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    It is good - 1m51 pace is an 8k half hour piece which would be very good.

How do you make the stroke longer or a better distance in the 10 minutes? :D

First things first think of rowing as pushing not pulling - 80% legs. Stay at 20-22spm and drive back a bit harder i.e. faster but take longer to come forward for the next stroke.

How hard/easy was the 10 minutes? If you can get a 1m49 then you are defo good for the sub 7mins 2k.

There are some great time now in this thread - time for some disinformation on technique...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

23:17 for 5k
    will try a 1k next time...back ends up quite sore though...

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Your back should not hurt - but if you mean just the muscles were worked that is ok - if you mean the lower back was in pain then that would suggest a look at your technique or and underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

I would given the back stick with the 5k's for now.:)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This info comes from here:
    http://www.ergrowing.com/

Turns out the guy who came up with coached the Danish men's lightweight fours and they were extremely successful.

Lots of great tips on there about how to get faster but the nugget we might find of use is this:

The Golden Curve Relationships Using the 2k erg score (in watts) as the baseline he found that:
    • 10 second all out average power wattage was 173% of the 2k average power wattage.
    • 60 seconds all out was 153% of the 2k average power wattage.
    • 6k power was 85% of 2k average power wattage.
    • 60 minute ‘hour of power’ average power wattage was 76% of 2k average power wattage.
    Kurt Jensen’s Formula turned the Danish lightweight rowing team into the most Successful in the World. Their lightweight 4 has won 3 Olympic Gold Medals and many World Championships. This Fitness Testing Model was the basis for much of their success.

We can work back from this - see what our 10 or 60 second all out power is and work backwards to see what our 2k's should be! :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    This info comes from here:
    http://www.ergrowing.com/

Turns out the guy who came up with coached the Danish men's lightweight fours and they were extremely successful.

Lots of great tips on there about how to get faster but the nugget we might find of use is this:

The Golden Curve Relationships Using the 2k erg score (in watts) as the baseline he found that:
    • 10 second all out average power wattage was 173% of the 2k average power wattage.
    • 60 seconds all out was 153% of the 2k average power wattage.
    • 6k power was 85% of 2k average power wattage.
    • 60 minute ‘hour of power’ average power wattage was 76% of 2k average power wattage.
    Kurt Jensen’s Formula turned the Danish lightweight rowing team into the most Successful in the World. Their lightweight 4 has won 3 Olympic Gold Medals and many World Championships. This Fitness Testing Model was the basis for much of their success.

We can work back from this - see what our 10 or 60 second all out power is and work backwards to see what our 2k's should be! :D

Interesting post, I've often wonder if anyone had tried to figure this out. You need this calculator to figure out your avg watts

http://www.concept2.com/us/interactive/calculators/pacecalculator.asp

Can someone see how accurate this is? Row for 60 minutes and see if your watts match up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just did 1000m as promised and came up with 3.20.07. I was keeping 3.13 pace for 600m and then faded out slightly. If I go again I'll try to maintain 3.18 with a kick in the last 100m if possible.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Nice work Barry.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I found this calculator handy AV:
    http://www.machars.net/

The erg rowing has this handy tool:

http://www.ergrowing.com/2k-erg-power-profile-calculator/

Ain't no way I am doing either a 2k or 60minute piece anytime soon! [:D]

I can do better. I went a little too hard too soon. I'm told that's my problem with everything...

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I can do better. I went a little too hard too soon. I'm told that's my problem with everything...

3.20.07 is still a very good time!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I found this calculator handy AV:
    http://www.machars.net/

The erg rowing has this handy tool:

http://www.ergrowing.com/2k-erg-power-profile-calculator/

Ain't no way I am doing either a 2k or 60minute piece anytime soon! [:D]

From that machars.net calculator I should be able to row 15000 in 60 minutes. It's going to be quite a while before I find out if thats correct :pac:

3.20.07 is still a very good time!

In the interests of full disclosure I have used the erg quite a bit before! generally for interval or long, slow rows but the 1000m was fun actually. More fun than I thought it'd be because usually anything over 1minute long bores the hell out of me and I'd need earphones and a podcast :)

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Muscle Memory there so Barry! :D

Advertisement