Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lovelyoner

Less than 2 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    You can put two 1m31.3 500m's together but when you do 4 you slip to 1m42.5.

Your time for 1k would put you 1st-3rd most years for a 15 year old in the world rankings.

Are you this good?:)

Well, I'm a rugby player so I can pretty much just belt it out for 1000m, and I threw up several times after my 3:02:)

My training too initially was all quite short distance, ie at the All Irelands it was a 5 minute row.

Also, don't think that would put me near 1st-3rd in world rankings, guy who has the WR for U16 2K got 5:54, and U15 is sub 6:05, many competitors to these all are within a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    If you go by the online ranking for 1000m and stipulate 15 years old - 3m02 in most cases would be 1st for the year and at worst 3rd.

Being a rugby player has bugger all impact on being good on the erg - some guys are good - Andy Ripley being one but Johno never did less than 6m20 which might be considered not great for such a big chap.

3m02 is a very good time - I'm just surprised your 1k is so good and 2k is average that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    lovelyoner wrote: »
    Also, don't think that would put me near 1st-3rd in world rankings, guy who has the WR for U16 2K got 5:54, and U15 is sub 6:05,

He was talking about your 1k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

Those online rankings aren't really worth a toss. To get on them the time either needs to be rowed in an official race or submitted by someone who has gone to the trouble of digging out the code associated with the performance from their rowing machines memory. I suspect a huge majority of the best rowing scores don't fall into either of those categories.

As lovelyoner says, the WR for his age group is sub 6mins for 2k which is (obviously) two sub 3min 1ks back to back so he's a bit off that pace(for now).

Having said all that 3:02 is still a superb time; hope you give up the rugby(coz its pants) and join a boat club.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    But when the age range is 13-18 there is a big, big difference in being 15 or 18.

My whole point here was that for a 15 year old 3m02 is an excellent if not exceptional time over 1000m.

For a 15 year old between 2002 and 2010 the best 2k times were:
    • 6m04 in 2004
    • 6m01 in 2002 both done in a C2 race
    • 3 others went sub 6m20 as in 6m19 between 2002-2010
    • Some years the best time was 6m20-6m22.
    I know we can say - all the best rowers never submit their times but I disagree and when you see times for 15 year olds not upto 18 years of age over a 9 year period it has to be a reasonable indication of where the best in the world are at 15 years of age.

Concept 2 also dispute certain times based on historical data for example if a 15 year old did a 5m50 2k on his own and not in a race or verified in a club it would be discounted.

Officially LL would have been 1st every year over 1000m between 2002-2010 except 2004 when 1st place did a 2m59.

If you look at the 2k times from 2002-2010 with only 3 being at 6m19 and bugger all in the low 6m20's - I'd question how many of these would get a 3m02 for 1k.

For 500m for a 15 year old very few do better than 1m30 which suggests power is not fully developed hence muscling the machine is hard.

I was just saying that LL's time of 3m02 is top drawer for a 15 year old and if at 16 you go sub 3 mins that'll be just as good if not better!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

You were a member of a rowing club weren't you Guvnor? Have you ever submitted a time to concept for ratification? Do you remember anyone in your club doing so?

I never rowed on water but I know plenty of guys who do and plenty who raced just on Concepts and none of them ever bothered to send times they did in training sessions or time trials into Concept.

.....ahh who cares, we're agreed, its a great time.

What event did you compete in in Paris Lovelyoner? 15-16Jnr wasn't 2k and 17-18Jnr looks like the first Irish came in around 6:58?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I did submit 500m, 30min and 60min details. Never a 2k as the club preferred the 2.5k!

I do agree that back in the late 90's and early 00's not many rowers submitted times to c2.

However now it is compulsory in most national rowing set-ups for their athletes to compete in the indoor trials over 2k.

You'd have to assume that the best guys on the erg over any distance by and large are going to be the rowers.

Defo agree it's a really good time!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    been a while since this has come up so just posting a rowing wod i did yesterday

1mins row, 1mins off,
    1min row, 50secs off
    1mins row, 40secs off
    1mins row, 30secs off
    1mins row, 20secs off
    1mins row, 10secs off
    1mins row, 20secs off etc and work your way back up to 1mins row, 1mins off.

I kept average rowing distance for the on part to 292m in each one minute. Never any lower than 288m.

Give it a go and its less than 25mins so done quickly and on the off portion do not row at all just chill out - you are going to need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3.33 :D

Tried it today at the end of a conditioning session which included a block of 10 150m rows beforehand, so I'm well happy! It used to take me near 5 mins! :) I'm definitely trying it fresh next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    G86 wrote: »
    3.33 :D

Tried it today at the end of a conditioning session which included a block of 10 150m rows beforehand, so I'm well happy! It used to take me near 5 mins! :) I'm definitely trying it fresh next time.

That's good going G86. I haven't beaten my PB of 3.38 yet. I haven't really been trying that hard lately, I usually try it at the end of the week and am always wrecked. Am doing about 4 weight's sessions, 2 soccer training sessions and a match every week. I've been trying to squeeze in a Rowing HIIT session every now and again and they are seriously gruelling.

I do them like this:
    5 minute warmup
    10x1 minute flat out rowing with 1 minute casual rowing in between sets. I try to keep moving, never fully stopping.
    5 minute warm down

Total: 30 mins

Today I felt like puking my ring up so I knew it was good.
    No other exercise I've ever done comes close to fecking me up like rowing HIIT does, not even running HIIT!

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Damn this thread bump - I'm running out of excuses to not try another 1k...:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Damn this thread bump - I'm running out of excuses to not try another 1k...:D
    kind of figured that and good reason to bring it back up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Before I dislocated my shoulder I was doing 2k in 8 mins flat at the end of every gym session. I'll note my time this evening on 1k at the start of my sesh and update you all later this eve

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LOL!

I 'might' try one tomorrow.
    I'll stick the pace boat at 1m43 and see what gives.

Have you tried a 1k recently D?:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LOL!

I 'might' try one tomorrow.
    I'll stick the pace boat at 1m43 and see what gives.

Have you tried a 1k recently D?:D
    ok ok i promise to do one in the next 1-2 weeks and post up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »
    1mins row, 1mins off,
    1min row, 50secs off
    1mins row, 40secs off
    1mins row, 30secs off
    1mins row, 20secs off
    1mins row, 10secs off
    1mins row, 20secs off etc and work your way back up to 1mins row, 1mins off.

Did this tonight and it was TOUGH! Really started to lull there in the middle but bounced back massively when the rest time was back up to 30 secs. You animal, I just about managed an average of 255m for every interval!

Edit: And it only took about 18 mins so was a great workout to get in fast! :)

1000m times comes in at slightly under 4 minutes, always do it at the end of the workout though (that makes me feel slightly better :D).

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    notGill wrote: »
    Did this tonight and it was TOUGH! Really started to lull there in the middle but bounced back massively when the rest time was back up to 30 secs. You animal, I just about managed an average of 255m for every interval!

Edit: And it only took about 18 mins so was a great workout to get in fast! :)

1000m times comes in at slightly under 4 minutes, always do it at the end of the workout though (that makes me feel slightly better :D).
    good job and this could be done running on a treadmill also or even using a cross trainer set at high/low levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

evil_seed wrote: »
    Before I dislocated my shoulder I was doing 2k in 8 mins flat at the end of every gym session. I'll note my time this evening on 1k at the start of my sesh and update you all later this eve

forgot about the update. did 1k in 3 mins 40. happy enough with that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

will try this tomorrow

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    2mins on 1mins off x 6 rounds today for me.

Slowest 2mins was 560m and quickest 578m - think if you could hit 530-550m per rounds on this would be a good target for most guys

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That's pretty good consistency there.

I'm going to do a 1k this week - 3m19.9 here we come!:D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That's pretty good consistency there.

I'm going to do a 1k this week - 3m19.9 here we come!:D
    Just continuing this really as did - 1000m row x 3 rounds with 90secs break between efforts - 3.28m average per round - go beat it!!

So not going absolutely flat out on these

Did 140kg deadlifts 5 reps + 30 double unders 90sec break x 5 rounds after

Got to do another session later so back to work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just continuing this really as did - 1000m row x 3 rounds with 90secs break between efforts - 2.28m average per round - go beat it!!

1 minute 14 seconds average 500m time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just continuing this really as did - 1000m row x 3 rounds with 90secs break between efforts - 2.28m average per round - go beat it!!

2mins 28 seconds! :eek: That can't be right?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »
    1 minute 14 seconds average 500m time?
    ahh balls just noticed that sorry!!!

3.28m/1000m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    ahh balls just noticed that sorry!!!

3.28m/1000m

Thank god!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Hanley wrote: »
    Thank god!! :D

Leave me outta this

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Just continuing this really as did - 1000m row x 3 rounds with 90secs break between efforts - 3.28m average per round - go beat it!!

That's good.

I've yet to go flat out either the 3m26.1 IIRC was 'comfortable' - thing is though as we both know pacing a flat out attempt is difficult.

Steady and get quicker or hard and die a death in the last 200m!

Beat the 3m28 or the 3m28 x 3? Bit of a difference!

Can I use historical results?

Seriously if you were to go flat out where do you think you'd be - I need a marker to beat by 0.1 second! :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Ok - so I finally bit the bullet and succumbed to the online peer pressure to do another 1k piece on the erg!

Everything was good hit the gym about 9.30am today - did a bit of stretching for ten minutes and then headed over to the ergs.

Decided it was best to do a bit of a warm up as I had not sat on an erg since my last 1000m piece which was the 9th of February. [http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70560120&postcount=120]

TBH - going sub 1m40 felt a bit iffy so not overly confident of hitting my target of sub 3m20.

So anyway in respect of Dominic I whipped off my t-shirt and got ready :D - set the pace boat to 1m43 which was my previous best this year.

Well I shot off - was doing 1m28 for the first few strokes and was still under 1m37 when I went through the first 200m.

I then told myself to take it easy - conscious of not finishing.

I did 3m17.8 averaging 1m38.9/500m and 29SPM.

200m splits were:
    • 1m34.5 & 32SPM
    • 1m39.2 & 27SPM
    • 1m40.7 & 27SPM
    • 1m40.7 & 27SPM
    • 1m39.2 & 32SPM

^^^ Those splits are remarkably consistent and this was not in anyway intentional. ^^^

I was fresh and did this at the start so no excuses. Could I have gone quicker - I kind of think so but I was keen to have something left for the last 200m.

I think I could have kept the 1m35 ish pace at the start for another 100m without it being so bad and for the 3rd and 4th splits think if I had manned up properly these could have been under 1m40 as in 1m39.8 or so. If all of this had come off the time could have been perhaps at best 2 seconds quicker.

Bit dissapointed with the stroke rates - be nicer if it was under 28 or even 26. However quite happy with the time.

It was pretty hard but not throw up time at the end. My heart did get up to about 170-180 over the piece but the 2 minute heart rate recovery had it back down at 120.

Next goal is sub 3m15.

I did a back session afterwards and if truth be told was feeling the effects of the erg for a good 20 minutes afterwards!:D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Ok - so I finally bit the bullet and succumbed to the online peer pressure to do another 1k piece on the erg!

Everything was good hit the gym about 9.30am today - did a bit of stretching for ten minutes and then headed over to the ergs.

Decided it was best to do a bit of a warm up as I had not sat on an erg since my last 1000m piece which was the 9th of February. [http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70560120&postcount=120]

TBH - going sub 1m40 felt a bit iffy so not overly confident of hitting my target of sub 3m20.

So anyway in respect of Dominic I whipped off my t-shirt and got ready :D - set the pace boat to 1m43 which was my previous best this year.

Well I shot off - was doing 1m28 for the first few strokes and was still under 1m37 when I went through the first 200m.

I then told myself to take it easy - conscious of not finishing.

I did 3m17.8 averaging 1m38.9/500m and 29SPM.

200m splits were:
    • 1m34.5 & 32SPM
    • 1m39.2 & 27SPM
    • 1m40.7 & 27SPM
    • 1m40.7 & 27SPM
    • 1m39.2 & 32SPM

^^^ Those splits are remarkably consistent and this was not in anyway intentional. ^^^

I was fresh and did this at the start so no excuses. Could I have gone quicker - I kind of think so but I was keen to have something left for the last 200m.

I think I could have kept the 1m35 ish pace at the start for another 100m without it being so bad and for the 3rd and 4th splits think if I had manned up properly these could have been under 1m40 as in 1m39.8 or so. If all of this had come off the time could have been perhaps at best 2 seconds quicker.

Bit dissapointed with the stroke rates - be nicer if it was under 28 or even 26. However quite happy with the time.

It was pretty hard but not throw up time at the end. My heart did get up to about 170-180 over the piece but the 2 minute heart rate recovery had it back down at 120.

Next goal is sub 3m15.

I did a back session afterwards and if truth be told was feeling the effects of the erg for a good 20 minutes afterwards!:D
    big time impressive dude!!

Setting the bar high and will defo be back to this after crossfit regionals!!

Excellent you have the splits also which is good to keep in mind for others to try out also

Advertisement