Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

i really have to give this one a bash ive done a 5000m a few months back in 21ish and it nearly killed me! I think was on setting 10. Going to give 1k a shot later on 3/4 and see how i go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Transform wrote: »
    man thats some funny sh1t right there!!

I was really hoping this thread would not come up for a while as need to go bloody do a 1000m!!

Eariler today i did 500m repeats x 6 with 90secs break between efforts - ave 1.42.1min - slow day!

:D This thread will never die! I need to do another one soon as well.

Did a 30 min session the other night as the three other pieces of cardio equipment I use were taken.

I set the pace boat to 1m56 and given all the heavy weights I felt ropey. Was well behind the pace boat but finished strong and averaged 1m56.2. Distance in 30 mins was 7746m.

In the end given how ropey I was feeling this was ok and I think I could break 8000m if I was a bit fresher.

This was done on 13/07/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    About 7 weeks ago i joined a gym and started on a moderately intense program.
    I wasnt severly overweight but i wasnt far off.
    i havent got massive strength (yet :P) and found i had no stamina at first.

But the last while ive done 1000m on the rower as part of my workout.
    Im averaging at about 4min.30sec each time with the resistance on 10 and my stroke is between 33-37p/m.

Is that a decent result?
    Should i keep it at that as an adequate part of a fat burning routine?
    (yes, i have adjusted my diet.)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I don't think you should set it to 10.

I would prefer to see it set at 3/4 and using good technique.

Stroke rate is for me a little high - I'd prefer sub 30.

Key thing with rowing is this - could you maintain your technique for longer say 30 or 60 mins.

Level 10 would suggest an emphasis on your arms over the legs etc.

Time wise a good goal for you would be 4 minutes for a 1000m but done at a stroke rate of 26 with good technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    I had it set to 10 as the gym trainer said that there wasnt a whole lot of resistance difference between 5-10. "so you may as well put it on 10". His words.
    This obviously isn't true? It's the exact same rowing machine in the video posted above.

And I guess no, I don't think I could maintain the technique for 30 mins, But I think that is more to do with the fact that at the moment my body isn't letting me do anything for upwards of 15 minutes at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    agreed the high stroke rate jumped out at me when it was mentioned - slow it down a bit and work on form.

Now die rowing thread die!!!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    CM - how to put this nicely - he is a bit off on his rowing as are most instructors IMO.:)

For you now just learning the technique I would prefer to see you doing 5 minutes or 10 minutes and using a low, slow and controlled stroke rate of 22-24.

To put this in perspective - Pinsent and the like would be expected to do around 9000m in 30mins but at a stroke rate of 20!

Dom - this thread cannot die - it may drift off the first or second page but it will not die. For the record I hate it as much as you do! No hiding on the rowing machine!

I now feel a bit of pressure to man up and do sub 3m15!:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Was very sick last week but pulled a 3:06.2, new pb.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    No pic No proof!

:D

Only joking.

That's a cracking time - makes me sick just thinking about attempting it.

Like Dom - I keep finding reasons to avoid the 1k piece.

Must go back and do one soon but 3m06.2 - add a few seconds please.

I'll do it again - soon might set the pace boat to 1m33.1.

If I beat it you'll hear about it! After I recover that is!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Less than 2 minutes
    CMpunked wrote: »
    I had it set to 10 as the gym trainer said that there wasnt a whole lot of resistance difference between 5-10. "so you may as well put it on 10". His words.
    This obviously isn't true? It's the exact same rowing machine in the video posted above.

Can't believe a gym instructor said that!! I find it amazing that instructors hardly ever have any idea how to use a bit of kit that can do you some serious damage if you do it wrong. Throwing your back at the machine and jerking the chain with the drag on 10 is likely do do a put out a newbie's back. But I often see instructors actually telling people to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did 1000m in 3:45 a few weeks ago. Knocked 7 seconds off my previous best time.

1:25.2 500m today, 1000m is wearing me down! gonna stick with 500m for a while.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    1m25.2 is a pb for the 500m?

My old pb for 500m is 1m22.9 or 1m23.1 cannot remember.

You get cracking on that and I'll get cracking on 3m06.1! :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did 1000m in 3:45 a few weeks ago. Knocked 7 seconds off my previous best time.

Well done!

Soon you will be doing 3m30!:)

How did it feel? What setting on the fan?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I've not done a 1000m recently but did do a 30min piece on Monday maybe in the morning.

Was that ever a pain in the ar$e! First 15 minutes were 'awesome'.

I'd set the paceboat to 1m58 to try and not kill myself.

As it was what 7am or so I confused my boat for the paceboat and was wondering why I was behind the paceboat aka me when I was rating 1m57! :D

I got a bit of momentum going in the second half and finished with 7810m which is about 1m55.

Going to do a few of these to get the feel of machine back again and will be happy when I'm doing 8000-8100m in the 30mins.

Good news was the stroke rate was about 22 average.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Well done!

Soon you will be doing 3m30!:)

How did it feel? What setting on the fan?

There was 6 months between my 3:52 and my 3:45 when I didn't even set eyes on a machine, never mind row one, so I don't know how soon I'll be hitting 3:30! :D

It felt great, but I needed a few minutes to get my breath back afterwards. I think the fan setting was fairly low though.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    3-5 is ok for the fan imo and I would go far as to say optimal! :)

A few minutes to catch your breath is fine especially after a hard piece like this.

Maybe a good thing to do would be do say 2 sessions a week on the erg but do 5000m and aim to get that to less than 20 minutes which is sub 4m 1k pace.

Take it easy at the start but before you know it you could be doing 19m or so.

I'm now doing a few 30 minute pieces and will try at least 4 more 1k's before end of year if not 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    My PB for 1000m was on Tuesday morning - 3:18. I was flat out, doing 40 - 42 strokes per minute. I read earlier on this thread that this is too high a stroke rate, but I don't see how it's possible for me to get anywhere near that time without going that fast. I also have the fan set to 10, and I'm seeing a general trend towards backing well down on that - any particular reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    SuprSi wrote: »
    My PB for 1000m was on Tuesday morning - 3:18. I was flat out, doing 40 - 42 strokes per minute. I read earlier on this thread that this is too high a stroke rate, but I don't see how it's possible for me to get anywhere near that time without going that fast. I also have the fan set to 10, and I'm seeing a general trend towards backing well down on that - any particular reason why?

You're not pushing hard enough with your legs, to get your stroke rate down you really need to push "hard" with your legs. Give it a try next time and watch your SPM and your estimated 500 metre finish time. When I start to get tired my strokes rate increases just to keep the same estimated 500 metre finishing time. Must do more leg sessions :D

If you like rowing at 10 then leave it there, there's no reason why you should lower it. Unless you're joinging a rowing club then you may have to lower it to the same drag setting as water.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Suprsi - first of all that is a good time.

In theory there is nothing wrong with a stroke rate of 42.

However a few points on this:

1. It is easier to rate higher in a boat on water than the erg - this is due to the glide (boat moving under you etc.)
    2. In say the Olympics the mens 4- (Redgrave boat) would rate say 36/37 for most of the race with maybe 41+ at the start for 10 strokes and at the end for 10-15.
    3. The more men in a boat the easier it is to rate higher - an eight man boat might rate 40 for most of the race.
    4. The mechanics of a proper stroke make doing 40+ on the erg very hard and not something that can be maintained without having a shorter stroke.

On the fan - nothing wrong with 10 but it does not promote good technique. It is possible to muscle the machine for say 500m and to a lesser extent 1000m but try and do a longer piece at level 10 like say 2000m or 5000m.

Your arms will seize up and then it's all over - best to relax the hands and drive with the legs.

I prefer the lower fan setting but I did row for a few years on water.

However maybe a higher setting would work better for me in terms of time, might try it and see.

Well done on the time again!

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Well done on the time again!

Yes, I forgot to mention that! 3:18 is a great time, well done :)

Also The Guvnor is right about getting the technique right first on a lower level first but there's no reason why you shouldn't be using the correct technique on any setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Just after seeing this thread, pretty interesting stuff.

Never done 1K but used to do a 500m as warm-up in the gym occasionally. IIRC my best time was about 1:42 but I think my stroke rate was up around 37-38 (not that I thought anything of it at the time). Fan was at 7-8 I think.

Some good advice here and if I ever get back to a gym will try the longer distance and set myself a target of 3:30 (achieveable?)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Thanks for the feedback. Thinking about it, you're right regarding not using my legs as much as after 1000m my legs aren't really that tired or stiff. I definitely feel it in my arms and upper back though.

I'll be in the gym again next week and will try pushing more with the legs to see what sort of a difference that makes. Cheers!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    In theory (love/hate this word) you could do an erg session after an arm workout in the gym.

It's hard to explain the feeling of the technique but -

• You are sitting up straight with arms extended and a slight lean forward.
    • This means your chest is near your knees.
    • Your hands hang loose over the handles with your little finger over the edge or on the side.
    • Your start by driving with the legs.
    • When legs are near/fully extended you go from leaning slightly forward to leaning slightly back.
    • Your arms finish the stroke by pulling the handle into your stomach and then down and away.
    • Your arms go fully out and you go from leaning slightly back to slightly forward and legs break and PULL you forward.
    • This is a fluid continuous movement but when learning it is good to break each part down to understand it better.
    The key point here is that on the recovery (bit where you go forward) your toes are trying to be pointed towards you as you pull the meataphorical boat underneath you.

On the water if your crash forward you will 'check' the boat - basically it will dig into the water and all the glide is gone - not as bad on an erg but not doing it would be better.

Last point think about the bit going forward taking longer than the bit going back. In some cases twice as long.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Last point think about the bit going forward taking longer than the bit going back. In some cases twice as long.

Yes, the going forward is where you rest. :D

Good post Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    It's interesting that you mention that Guvnor as I can only use 1 or 2 of the rowing machines in the gym - the others all move forwards when I'm on them, so I guess on a boat that would be completely counter-productive and points to a poor technique. I'll take a note of your described technique and give it a shot next week. Thanks again :cool:

1m25.2 is a pb for the 500m?

My old pb for 500m is 1m22.9 or 1m23.1 cannot remember.

You get cracking on that and I'll get cracking on 3m06.1! :D

My 500m is terrible, ive done better than that but only by a few seconds, never below 1:20 anyway thats for sure, i feel like im going to fly off the machine if i go too hard and that i look like an absolute handitard.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    You've done low 1m20's for the 500m as well - any idea of the actual time?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Based on some advice on here I stopped using the foot straps on the concept 2?

Do people generally use the straps or not use them?

If going for a fast time is using the straps an advantage?

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    YES. PLease use the footstraps.

The advice to not use them was so that you could see where the technique was not correct.

You should be able to row without them and not fall off or lose balance etc. but even with good technique it can be hard and a bit like say doing a dumbbell bench press on a bench or on a swiss ball.

Advertisement