Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Accounting 1

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey people..
    I'm in Arts and I'm bored of just reading and essays etc..
    So thought I might pick this for my elective.. is it a bit silly in final year to pick a mathsy module?
    Anyone done it and know how difficult it is?
    I did Ordinary maths for the LC but did quite well in it if thats any help to ya to determine would i be able for the module!!

thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Financial ccounting is nothing to do with maths. The calculator does the maths, all it ever is is adding and subtracting.

Its more about knowing where things belong, under what headings and what side of the Dr and Cr, and then how to put it all into a Final Account.

I'm in Commerce, so its one of our core modules, I hadnt done accounting for the leaving cert and I did well in it but a good few people in our year had difficulties.

Theres a good few management modules that you can do (BMGT) which would be more about presentations (good skill to have) and reports (much easier to write than essays)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SemiMental

Personally I found this to be one of the easiest modules I've done in UCD.
    I don't think it assumes any prior knowledge of accounting, and the accounting in it is pretty basic.
    If you have done accounting in the leaving cert, you should do pretty well in this module.
    When I done the module it went through basic double entry, P+L accounts & Balance sheets, cash flow and maybe a few other things.

Another module I would recommend if you are interested in doing a business elective is Applied Business Competencies (ABC), no end exam, a few presentations and some group work. Again nothing too hard. The course is given by 3rd year commerce students I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

Thanks for the reply guys..

And one more question.. the lectures is offered at 11-1 on monday or 3-5.. the tutorial i want is attached to the 3-5 slot but surely theyll cover same material, do ya think i could pick the 3-5 offering but go to the 11-1 lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Yeah there wouldnt be an issue with it. When I did it 2 years ago the lectures were held in Th.B in science. The hall is massive, so they wont have a notion who is supposed to be there and who isnt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm in the 11-1 lecture, which is in Theatre P. I'm not sure where the 3-5 is but I was talking to a guy doing BComm that does it, and it's apparently the exact same! I found the tutorial really good this week, the tutor was excellent - normally they can be more lacking than the lecturers themselves. (basing on previous experience).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

I'm in the 11-1 lecture, which is in Theatre P. I'm not sure where the 3-5 is but I was talking to a guy doing BComm that does it, and it's apparently the exact same! I found the tutorial really good this week, the tutor was excellent - normally they can be more lacking than the lecturers themselves. (basing on previous experience).

Oh cool Timbuk2 what tutorial time you at??
    I'm still waiting on the module to bloody appear on my blackboard?? It's been 2 days!! is it on yours yet ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on the module to bloody appear on my blackboard?? It's been 2 days!! is it on yours yet ?

Thursday at 2!

The module does display on BB for me - it's been there since the start of Semester 1. All the notes for the whole course (even the things we haven't done yet) are up.

As you can't yet see it, I should point out that next week in the tutorials we have an online exam, so you need to bring your laptop into the tutorials. Furthermore, you have to register it with UCD IT Services through the WIRED network up to 2 days before your tutorial (I'm not sure why!).

To do this, go somewhere with a LAN terminal (all the desks in the library that have plugs on top of them have a LAN terminal). Plug an ethernet cable into your laptop and into this terminal, then turn off your wireless network. Try and navigate to a website, then it will ask you to register. Registration takes 24 hours usually - it took less for me (you get an e-mail when it is completed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

McNuggy10 wrote: »

Call IT about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Furthermore, you have to register it with UCD IT Services through the WIRED network up to 2 days before your tutorial (I'm not sure why!).

Each desk in the smaller Quinn classrooms is wired and you are expected to use these connections rather than trying to access the wireless network in the concourse from the classroom, which mightn't work in any case. There is no point in having the wireless network overloaded while people are at sitting at network points but couldn't be bothered to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

To do this, go somewhere with a LAN terminal (all the desks in the library that have plugs on top of them have a LAN terminal). Plug an ethernet cable into your laptop and into this terminal, then turn off your wireless network. Try and navigate to a website, then it will ask you to register. Registration takes 24 hours usually - it took less for me (you get an e-mail when it is completed).

Can we get the ethernet cable in UCD or do we have to source them ourselves?

• Advertisement

dtmc wrote: »

I'm not sure as I have one in Dublin with me, but it's probably worth asking at the IT Desk in the Daedalus building tomorrow -where you loan out the laptops. Ask if they loan out individual ethernet/LAN cables. I've loaned out laptops in the library before (note these are only for in-library use) and they come with an ethernet/LAN cable, so maybe Daedalus have a similar system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

You buy them in the copy shop for €6.

Daylight robbery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

dtmc wrote: »

You would be far better off buying one yourself in any computer/electrical goods shop. They are pretty easily sourced.

Advertisement