Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house which is up for sale...

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Found a nice house on the internet for rent, looks nice, good size, location etc.. But the house is also for sale.

I rang the auctioneer who is down as letting agent (and also as auctioneer for the sale), and made general inquiries about the property for let. At the end I asked him was it a rental house or was someone trying to sell the house, he said oh it's a rental property not for sale. I said nothing to him that the same house is for sale on his website!

Should I be wary of this? Is it a big risk to take by renting a house which is up for sale and do I have any rights when / if the house is sold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Found a nice house on the internet for rent, looks nice, good size, location etc.. But the house is also for sale.

I rang the auctioneer who is down as letting agent (and also as auctioneer for the sale), and made general inquiries about the property for let. At the end I asked him was it a rental house or was someone trying to sell the house, he said oh it's a rental property not for sale. I said nothing to him that the same house is for sale on his website!

Should I be wary of this? Is it a big risk to take by renting a house which is up for sale and do I have any rights when / if the house is sold?

Call the agent again and say that you have seen that the house IS for sale. It may have been withdrawn from sale.

If you rent a house that is also for sale, you have to allow viewings. And you have to leave if the house is sold. Even in these times it is a risk.

BUT some owners WILL withdraw the house from sale for a long lease; we were offered that once.

You need to check the lease very carefully; but first, be up front with the agent, please. There may be a simple explanation; we have always found agents fine when we have done that. ie realised that the rental is also for sale. Even when they had not told us that when we first asked.;)

Advertisement