Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing an item back bought on card-no receipt? but

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a netbook laptop in one of the major british pc stores in dublin a few days before xmas for a present. I paid by card and at the checkout the girl asked me my name and I think address aswell. Yesterday the machine just died. Can I bing it back to the shop for replacement/repairs without the original receipt but proof on my bank statement that I paid for it there? or am I left with a dead netbook?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Your credit card statement is proof of purchase to the best of my knowledge so you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I'm not sure if bank statements legally stand as proof of purchase though. but most of the time if a store has the ability to look up past transactions, you can give them the statement as proof of the date of purchase and if you can give them a rough time of day then the transaction is easily recoverable.

The reason there can be a problem with the statement is that they just show a number and store name, no product. What this means is that if you bought other items, the total won't equal the value of the item being returned, or if the item has dropped in price since, same story. It takes a right hard ass store not to honour it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Bank or Credit Card statement are proof of purchase. You shouldnt have a problem bring it back with the relvant Statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Niallon is correct. It is not absolutely 100% proof of purchase, to suggest otherwise is bad form from posters. Best thing, go to store, explain and try to figure something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

If it is PC World / Currys, they will be able to look up the receipt. Did it hundreds of times when I worked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Your credit card statement is proof of purchase to the best of my knowledge so you should be alright.
    They are to a certain extent but all it says on the statements etc is the shop name and the amount - not the actual purchases. I would assume many large shops should be able to trace back easily enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

You should be fine.
    Doesn't look good after 2 weeks use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Niallon is correct. It is not absolutely 100% proof of purchase, to suggest otherwise is bad form from posters. Best thing, go to store, explain and try to figure something out.

Sorry pal , your wrong, if you have a statement with payment going to example pc world. They can then check there records for the full receipt. A bank statement with relvant payment details is all you need to return a faulty product.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

According to a quick search on the National Consumer Agency website, there are many hits all saying the same thing, e.g.

"Make sure that you have proof of purchase, e.g. receipt, invoice, cheque stub, credit card receipt"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement