Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlemartyr

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi Im just wondering if some local people could recommend things to go see or activities to do while staying in the area. Getting away for two nights this summer and I'm so sad I"m already trying to plan stuff, I know I'm being a wee bit OTT planning activities but this is our first break in soooo long and its taken an age to save so want to make it as fun as possible :o
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Fota Wildlife park is not that far - great spot for young and old.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Oh yeah thanks I had forgotten all about fota! I dont know how I'm glued to trip advisor and discover Ireland since I booked the hotel!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cookie.munster

There are some great beaches in the area - Ballybrannigan, Inch, Garyvoe... If you're taking kids, there's a fab playground two miles away in Mogeely... There's the Jameson experience in Midleton... Ballymaloe House is nice for a wander around the gardens and into the gift shop / cafe... there's a nice cafe in Ballycotton and also the hotel there for lunch... Garyvoe Hotel... Fota is indeed lovely, it's nice to time it so that you're leaving around the time the giraffes are being brought in for the night (around 5.30pm I think)... Lismore is lovely for a walk (look out for the Two Towers)... There are some lovely restaurants in Midleton. Also the Marlogue (down towards Cobh) is lovely on a sunny day, gorgeous peaceful location and you can relax with a drink and/or bite to eat. Just some suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

If you're bringing the kids take them swimming/splashing in Trabolgan Holiday Village. Monkey Maze in Glanmire is also good for kids, I reckon it's about 20 - 25 mins from Castlemartyr maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Monkey Maze in Glanmire is also good for kids, I reckon it's about 20 - 25 mins from Castlemartyr maybe.

there's also Go Safari! in Fota Retail Park. it'd be close to Fota, and a bit nearer than Glanmire. I don't know if it's better or anything though. Actually, while you're there you also have the drive-in cinema in the same business park.

You could eat in the Elm Tree or the Rising Tide in Glounthaune while you're in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

There is also Leaheys Fun farm in Dungourney not far from Middliton if you have kids.
    But I overheard one Dublin woman say on the phone:
    "Its not as good as Dublin Zoo!"

Thanks so much for the great replies! Cookiemunster We will deffo take your suggestion for going out to the jameson experience and Ballymaloe (thanks for that I thought you would have to be a resident to go there) also will deffo be going out to eat I nearly had a heart attack when I was told how much they were charging for food in the hotel!:eek:. You can tell I dont get out often:o.
    Deranged we will definatly look out for thoose eating suggestions thank you.
    Thanks everone for taking the time to suggest stuff, We dont have kids just two dogs but we will be popping them in kennels before we go so the tigers at Fota can rest easy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gmb

There is also Leaheys Fun farm in Dungourney not far from Middliton if you have kids.
    But I overheard one Dublin woman say on the phone:
    "Its not as good as Dublin Zoo!"

I'd say that was an understatement. Visited there a couple of years ago and I wouldn't hurry back.

The fact that this place is listed in many of the tourist guides shows that the editors of these guides have never gone anywhere near it.

By contrast, Fota Wildlife Park or the Cobh Heritage Centre are excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

the hotel in castlemartyr is excellent and the grounds are beautiful and well worth a walk around.The golf club is nice for lunch also.FOTA is nice but if you dont have kids its not a necessity really IMO as you can walk around it in an hour or so so prob not best bang for your buck. Cobh is OK, bit run down really but the cathedral is nice if your into old buildings or architecture.Best place to go for a walk nearby is definately the cliffs at ballycotton I think especially on a dry cold day, blows away all the cobwebs, then lunch in Garryvoe hotel pub on the way back! Pat Shortts pub in the village is nice for a few pints and a bit of craic...

Thanks gmd and Sparky, Its great I can see theres tons to do in Cork. Im so pleased we are going there. Cant wait now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

the hotel in castlemartyr is excellent and the grounds are beautiful and well worth a walk around.The golf club is nice for lunch also.FOTA is nice but if you dont have kids its not a necessity really IMO as you can walk around it in an hour or so so prob not best bang for your buck. Cobh is OK, bit run down really but the cathedral is nice if your into old buildings or architecture.Best place to go for a walk nearby is definately the cliffs at ballycotton I think especially on a dry cold day, blows away all the cobwebs, then lunch in Garryvoe hotel pub on the way back! Pat Shortts pub in the village is nice for a few pints and a bit of craic...

Good to hear. I worked on the Golf Course in Castlematyr for the last three summers. Yes its a beautiful place and the grounds are very nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Agree with all of this but wanted to add that if you're missing your dogs you can take the hotel dogs for a walk around the gorgeous grounds. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

ah yes forgot about the dogs. beautiful dogs they are too

Advertisement