Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a spur to my shed....

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

So I've run a spur from the consumer unit to an fused junction box (weather sealed) in my shed.

From here I am connecting 2 sockets and if possible a few lights.

Note: I will be getting a qualified electrician to connect the spur into an RCD and check my handiwork.

Questions:

I'm using MK Masterseal sockets with 20mm sq plastic conduit to protect the wiring (TC+E). Do I need to drill drain holes in the bottom of the sockets for condensation build-up?

Can I run a lighting circuit from the same junction box as the sockets?

How do you wire in a single-gang switch to control a single light?
    My DIY book goes on about ring circuits, 2- and 3-way switches etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like you should get an electrician to do the final hook up. But its always good to know whats happening, so i'll throw down some answers for ya.

Firstly its not called a spur, a spur would be a connection off a ring circuit. If your running a line from the consumer unit, its just a radial circuit.

Have no idea what a fused junction box is, is it a small sealed mini consumer unit? Just a small junction box?

If your shed is water tight i wouldn't worry too much about condensation, I've never seen a small drain hole drilled, but guess it wouldn't do any harm.

You could run a lighting circuit from your radial circuit, you would need a fused spur out-let fitted to your radial circuit. Or if your fitting a consumer unit in the shed the electrician will take the lighting off a 10A MCB. Another alternative is if you've still got the cable run open, you could run in a 1.5 T&E from the consumer unit in the house.

Your DIY book probably has the UK lighting configuration. The irish system is some what simpler. The switch makes/brakes the live connection to the light.

Owenw wrote: »
    So I've run a spur from the consumer unit to an fused junction box (weather sealed) in my shed.

From here I am connecting 2 sockets and if possible a few lights.

Note: I will be getting a qualified electrician to connect the spur into an RCD and check my handiwork.

Questions:

I'm using MK Masterseal sockets with 20mm sq plastic conduit to protect the wiring (TC+E). Do I need to drill drain holes in the bottom of the sockets for condensation build-up?

Can I run a lighting circuit from the same junction box as the sockets?

How do you wire in a single-gang switch to control a single light?
    My DIY book goes on about ring circuits, 2- and 3-way switches etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Thanks for the comprehensive reply DublinDilbert.

As you can tell I only have a basic understanding of electrics!

It's a small sealed Junction box with an on/off switch and a 13A Fuse so I can isolate everything on the radial.

Yeah I will definitely be getting everything checked before final connection.

Consumer unit seems like overkill for this project. Can i use a second junction for the lighting off the radial (see diagram below)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=144366&stc=1&d=1295552304

Owenw wrote: »
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply DublinDilbert.

As you can tell I only have a basic understanding of electrics!

It's a small sealed Junction box with an on/off switch and a 13A Fuse so I can isolate everything on the radial.

Yeah I will definitely be getting everything checked before final connection.

Consumer unit seems like overkill for this project. Can i use a second junction for the lighting off the radial (see diagram below)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=144366&stc=1&d=1295552304

Hey, I'm assuming those junction boxes are switched fused spur units. These are not suitable for supplying sockets as the sockets will need to be protected by and R.C.D or R.C.B.O. I think you should get a sparks to install a small consumer unit in your shed with a main breaker (not sure what size), an R.C.B.O (20A) for your sockets and a M.C.B (10A) for your lighting. Any good electrician will know but i'm sure they won't go near the job if its done the way you have outlined in the drawing. Only my €0.02! Hope it goes well OP!

Thanks Shane.

I only have the sockets & wiring (shown in blue on the drawing) installed so far.

I'll get a mate of mine over who's qualified to have a look before going any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it's a pity that there are no off the shelf shed consumer units, this is a perfect job for one, I think I'll speak to RECI about the UK ones i suggested before, the ones with the RCD protecting the socket and light but also doubling as an isolator, they are a double pole isolator after all.

• Advertisement

They sound ideal. I'm sure there's a market for them over here.

By time this job is finished it'll probably have cost more than the shed itself!

This kind of unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes like that but cheaper, you could buy a made up whole house consumer unit for that delivered cost.

Do you know where I could pick up a mini unit at a good price?

Advertisement