Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Shop

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey all,

I was shopping in the Sydney CBD over the Xmas period and i stumbled across a shop that sold tayto, barry's tea, mikado... all the usuals albeit at very inflated prices... i'm nearly sure it was on pitt street near westfield shopping centre... It was definitely on the top floor of some shopping centre, though the centre wasn't huge

Has any1 got a clue where it is, i was trying to find it yday, and I must've been walking around for an hour...

Any help'd be appreciated, i'm dying for a cup've barry's tea with a mikado

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There's one on Parramatta road Stanmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Theres one in Windsor, Sydney, as far as I remember, selling lots of Irish sweets and nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You are talking about treats from home in the skygarden

Glasshouse shopping centre - pitt st
    http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/webcontent2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

hussey wrote: »
    You are talking about treats from home in the skygarden

Glasshouse shopping centre - pitt st
    http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/webcontent2.htm

I was indeed speaking of this place... barrys tea here i come

(thanks huss)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is an irish shop in bondi junction that has various different items in stock sporadically.

There's also the "british sweet shop" in bondi junction that has all sorts of UK sweets, which are basically the same as in ireland (obv no tayto, but bars and sweets).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Mellor wrote: »
    There's also the "british sweet shop" in bondi junction that has all sorts of UK sweets, which are basically the same as in ireland (obv no tayto, but bars and sweets).

Theres one of those sweet shops in the harbourside on darling harbour, got me some monster munch the other day! :pac:

On a side note, Timtams beat the shit out of mikados anyday. The only thing I actually miss from home is some decent sausages. Aussie ones suck baws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I worked in America with some Aussie lads from Perth for a while.
    When I flew in, they expected me to bring sausages and rashers for the Irish lads there, but no, they wanted Tayto crisps (cheese and onion) smuggled in.

American chips/crisps are crap. Beyond belief.
    Tayto is the winner, and King crisps are even better.

The only other thing I missed was butter but in the supermarkets in some places the butter was Kerrygold, so happy days.
    Oh yeah and 3 years in Spain/Portugal and you will miss a pint of cold milk. All they have is nasty UHT NOT-milk.

Horrible.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Theres one of those sweet shops in the harbourside on darling harbour, got me some monster munch the other day! :pac:

On a side note, Timtams beat the shit out of mikados anyday. The only thing I actually miss from home is some decent sausages. Aussie ones suck baws.

If your willing to pay top price you can get gourmet pork sausages - pretty damn tasty - David Jones have some top notch ones

Not a patch on Superquinn sausages though!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

any irish shops in melbourne? i miss me some tayto!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feelgood wrote: »
    Yeah, I was speaking to my Mam over xmas, as she was asking me what food should she send over. And I didn't want any.
    Couldn't think of anything I missed from home she could send.

Like I'd love a cup of barrys, but it's cheaper and easier for me just to buy it here. A lot of bars are available. Ditto for crisps.

The only food I that I could thing of was superquinn sausages. But, thats one of the only one you can't post. Typical
    cooper90 wrote: »
    It its just tayto, they sell them in lots of pubs.
    Pint on Punt has them i think. btw I live in sydney so its not a promise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

cooper90 wrote: »

This is as good as I stumbled across: http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/webcontent2.htm there is also a similar one on Lygon Street,

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Melbourne[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How Do I Find You? The Melbourne shop is on level one of the Collinstwo3four shopping centre, situated on Collins Street, between Elizabeth & Swanston. Alternatively, catch a tram to the Collins Street Town Hall stop, which is located in front of the centre.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What Days and Times are you Open? We are open 7 days a week from 10.00. Please see the opening times on the left hand side.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What if I can not get to the shop?[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We are more than happy to send a parcel of treats to you, so please order on line or call the shop for their help. Please do not call the shop at lunchtimes as that is our busiest time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you sell out of certain items? Yes, unfortunately we do, mainly on items which have a short shelf life, such as crisps and jaffa cakes, therefore it is advisable to come into the shop as soon as they are available (watch the news page to keep up to date or give us your email address and we will add you to our mailing list[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

You could check out
    b5_468x60-banner.jpg
    http://www.tasteireland.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

there was a shop on bondi road that sold tayto , tk lemonade and star bars !!! not sure if its still going to be there it was 2004 since i was there ....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A good subsitute for Irish tea is Nerada tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Tis no barrys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

To be honest Pratts tea up North is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alan Graham Norn Iron

Hi , I think the place that you are after is called 'Treats From Home',they have shops in both Sydney and Melbourne.Cheers,Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Whats with everyone wanting Barry's tea?? Lyons is a lot nicer!
    I had a look at some of those online Irish shops, crazy prices, you'd be cheaper to get family back home to post a box of food to you. (Obviously no meat or dairy products).

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Whats with everyone wanting Barry's tea?? Lyons is a lot nicer!
    I had a look at some of those online Irish shops, crazy prices, you'd be cheaper to get family back home to post a box of food to you. (Obviously no meat or dairy products).

I agree! Lyons all the way!! They're in a pyramid bag so you get better floatage!! better brew! 15 dollars for 80 in taste of home in melbourne. CAnt do it! Cant remember what they cost back home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I agree! Lyons all the way!! They're in a pyramid bag so you get better floatage!! better brew! 15 dollars for 80 in taste of home in melbourne. CAnt do it! Cant remember what they cost back home!
    Got some sent over with other stuff recently. But say five euro for a box. Then it another fiver to post up to 500grams. That works out at about twelve dollars. I think ill be buying them soon. Can't go back to drinking lipton again after having Lyons

• Advertisement

Coles special on 7/7/11 - 13/7/11 is Lipton Twinnings English/Irish breakfast tea for $7

good price - personally I would go for the red label (english) has a nicer taste

Slunk wrote: »
    Got some sent over with other stuff recently. But say five euro for a box. Then it another fiver to post up to 500grams. That works out at about twelve dollars. I think ill be buying them soon. Can't go back to drinking lipton again after having Lyons

Factor in the 2 week wait and i suppose 15 isnt so bad!!
    And Hussey....you've changed man....you used to be cool:p

Factor in the 2 week wait and i suppose 15 isnt so bad!!
    And Hussey....you've changed man....you used to be cool:p

I know, instead of threads about how great bondi beach is I am now posting about special offer on tea! This is something my mother does!

I was referencing the Tea choice, lyons (maybe barrys) = :cool:
    Lipton = not :cool:

I was referencing the Tea choice, lyons (maybe barrys) = :cool:
    Lipton = not :cool:
    Lipton is the sh*te we have at work! I meant twinnings - posh tea ;)

Advertisement