Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched from eircom to UPC, cannot connect

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

So got my UPC wireless modem in the post today. Hooked it all up as the instruction say to. Running an ethernet cable from the modem to the pc as it's not wireless. All the correct lights are on at the front of the modem (Power, DS, US and Online). It will not acquire a network address. I searched for connections on my phone and the modem showed up once, but not anymore, it wouldn't connect though either that one time it did show up.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

I assume I can use this modem even though my pc doesn't have wireless function, I wanted it as we have a laptop here aswell that is. Plus my N900.

Help much appreciated, I knew this would get frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Have you tried pinging out on dos window yet? your probably connected but just some maybe dhcp settings or ie settings need to be changed. As for the wireless the ssid might need to be changed the channel and security to wep to be able to see it otherwise get a pen and at the back on the modem theres a emta reboot button hold this in for 10 secs and let it reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murphpc10

I have also switched from eircom to ripplecom. I can continue to use my eircom zyxel router but did not supply me with the new user name and password to enter into the router to connect with the service. Any ideas other than calling cust care and holding for an hour???? Help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As far as I am aware Ripplecom is a fixed wireless provider. How are you connecting your Zyxel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murphpc10

ripplecom installer came to the house installed the mast on the roof and ran a cable down from it to a "radio box" as he called it. He said that the existing router (zyxel) can be connected to it via a network cable and this would share the service across the house via the wireless signal. Also Ripplecoms website states if we use our existing router it means the Ip address is assigned automatically instead of having to set them in the OS on my laptop.

However the router still have the isp username and p/w for Eircom on it and we require ripplecoms.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The type of modem/router that Eircom (or other dsl isps) supply is not designed to be used with the likes of UPC or wireless isps.

What you need for that situation is what is commonly referred to as a "cable router" that is one without an integrated dsl modem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement