Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnotts ice-skating closed early - CityDeal users

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I purchased a voucher for 7UP Christmas On Ice (yes, I know it's not real ice) at Arnotts recently, under a deal run by CityDeal. The voucher I received is valid until 23 January. I booked it with the intention of attending this week, as I had other commitments last week.
    On various occasions since Sunday evening (16th January), I followed the instructions on the voucher, visiting the website and following links to book a session on the rink. A blank page with a winter scene was returned, but no booking application.
    I tried to place a call to the deal vendor using the number provided, on two occasions, and the line at the other end was disconnected. As the website instructed that bookings were only being taken online, I reasonably deduced that I would not be able to book by phone either way.
    I travelled to Dublin yesterday evening hoping to attend a session at the rink at 20.30, as advertised on the website. I walked right around Arnotts but there was no access or sign for the rink. I inquired with a guard on duty at O'Connell Street who told me the rink had closed "a couple of weeks ago", and I completed a second lap of the block hoping to prove him wrong (as per my voucher) but could find no way in to the rink. Since returning home last night the website was altered, and the rink's dates only now seem to state operation to 16th January (different from what it told me at 5pm yesterday evening).
    What exactly can I redeem my voucher against until 23rd January? I've emailed CityDeal about this issue and they've yet to respond. It seems like shady business taking €11 each from 500+ consumers only to close up shop before the date printed on the voucher, this company has done a runner with the best part of €6000 and not fulfilled its commitment to the consumer for that money.
    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best course of action for dealing with this issue? I know some people might feel €11 isn't a lot, but (i) I'm a student living away from home and (ii) the total amount involved is quite a bit.
    It's bad service and although CityDeal is only a middle man acting as the vendor's agent, their name stands to suffer if national press are informed, even Ryanair wouldn't pull this sort of a trick.

Thanks for any replies and suggestions,
    upmeath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you bought it by credit card contact your bank and they will do a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

If you bought it by credit card contact your bank and they will do a chargeback.

Thanks, I'll get in contact with my bank tomorrow. The sale price has been deducted from my account and CityDeal only offer refunds within 7 days (deal ran 13 days ago) so hopefully AIB will be able to do something about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You really need to give CityDeal a chance to resolve this - they are the supplier of the service as far as you are concerned. I'd be surprised if your credit card provider gave you a chargeback that easily without dealing with CityDeal.

They are active on Twitter under the GrouponDublin username - so perhaps that's another avenue to try and get in contact with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, citydeal will probably give you back your money, give them a chance to get back in touch and resolve it before going to your bank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i have found citydeal to be helpful in these instances before. They gave me a full refund with no quibbles in similar circumstances last month. No problem.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for your replies. I'm patiently awaiting a reply from CityDeal, I emailed on Tuesday evening. I think it's fair to say that an email notification of a change of terms should have been issued to all those who availed of the deal. The silence of both vendor and agent in this case is worrying for consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

is this the site you are looking for??

http://www.7upchristmasonice.ie/about-7up-christmas-on-ice-at-arnotts.html

and their contact details

© 2010 Synergy Project Management. All rights reserved | Clifton House, Lower Fitzwilliam St, Dublin 2
    ICE LINE: +353 1 269 8957 | Email: info@7upchristmasonice.ie | Privacy Policy
    web design by Digitalounge 7UP Christmas On Ice Venues

RDS DublinArnott's Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Still says on the site that's it open but you can't book.

'Q: When will the rink be open and at what times?

A: From 12th Nov 2010 to 23rd Jan 2011

Ice Skating sessions running from 09.30am - 21.30pm

Note the following exceptions to opening times for the holidays:

24 Dec 10.30am - 18:30 pm
    25 Dec Closed all day
    26 Dec 12.30pm – 22.30pm
    31 Dec 10.30am – 17.30pm
    1 Jan 12.30pm – 22.30pm'

Why did it close?

upmeath wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your replies. I'm patiently awaiting a reply from CityDeal, I emailed on Tuesday evening. I think it's fair to say that an email notification of a change of terms should have been issued to all those who availed of the deal. The silence of both vendor and agent in this case is worrying for consumers.

Email really doesn't get you fast responses. I would suggest getting on the phone to them. They have a customer service number listed (1-800-936-927). In addition, that Twitter account I listed is active and posting regularly, so a Direct Message to them via that account will also reach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I'm sure City Deal will sort you out - call them, it's easier

You're probably better off, my son went with his class & said it's not ice, it's plastic. He's a fairly good skater, but found their surface impossible. Might have had something to do with why they closed early.

• Advertisement

91011 wrote: »
    is this the site you are looking for??

http://www.7upchristmasonice.ie/about-7up-christmas-on-ice-at-arnotts.html

and their contact details

© 2010 Synergy Project Management. All rights reserved | Clifton House, Lower Fitzwilliam St, Dublin 2
    ICE LINE: +353 1 269 8957 | Email: info@7upchristmasonice.ie | Privacy Policy
    web design by Digitalounge 7UP Christmas On Ice Venues

RDS DublinArnott's Dublin

No I had contact details already, in fact I linked to the website in my OP, but thanks anyway!
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Still says on the site that's it open but you can't book.

'Q: When will the rink be open and at what times?

A: From 12th Nov 2010 to 23rd Jan 2011

Ice Skating sessions running from 09.30am - 21.30pm

Note the following exceptions to opening times for the holidays:

24 Dec 10.30am - 18:30 pm
    25 Dec Closed all day
    26 Dec 12.30pm – 22.30pm
    31 Dec 10.30am – 17.30pm
    1 Jan 12.30pm – 22.30pm'

Why did it close?

I'd presume business peaks in Christmas week and January is painfully slow for these operators. Perhaps particularly so this January considering all the snow and ice we've had in December. But they should still let customers know of their intention to close, not just leave their booking application page blank.
    dudara wrote: »
    Email really doesn't get you fast responses. I would suggest getting on the phone to them. They have a customer service number listed (1-800-936-927). In addition, that Twitter account I listed is active and posting regularly, so a Direct Message to them via that account will also reach them.

I've tried the 1800 number and the prerecorded message says they're currently restructuring their call centre, and to rely on email until service returns in mid-January.

I've tried the 1800 number and the prerecorded message says they're currently restructuring their call centre, and to rely on email until service returns in mid-January.

I'll send a DM to them on Twitter on your behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CollegeProbs

dundrums ice skating rink is still open and its real ice. maybe citydeal can sort something out with them so the deal is still on

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I have found city deal to be very good for giving refunds in a circumstance where you could not use the voucher. Email them, they got back to me with a refund within a few days.

CityDeal sent out an email this evening advising customers to request a refund. Quote "
    Email text quoted below:

"...for those of you who are yet to use your 7up on Ice vouchers. Unfortunately 7up on Ice have had to close their rinks a week early due to unforeseen circumstances.

This means it is no longer possible to use your voucher if you haven’t already. Please reply to this email stating that you require a refund and we will be more than happy to process this for you."

It might seem as though I overreacted but I had no experience with CityDeal prior to this offer and when the vendor's site failed me I may have panicked slightly. Many thanks to all who replied to this thread for allaying my fears. I'm trying to keep a tight ship running... Aren't we all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

CityDeal sent out an email this evening advising customers to request a refund. Quote "
    Email text quoted below:

"...for those of you who are yet to use your 7up on Ice vouchers. Unfortunately 7up on Ice have had to close their rinks a week early due to unforeseen circumstances.

This means it is no longer possible to use your voucher if you haven’t already. Please reply to this email stating that you require a refund and we will be more than happy to process this for you."

It might seem as though I overreacted but I had no experience with CityDeal prior to this offer and when the vendor's site failed me I may have panicked slightly. Many thanks to all who replied to this thread for allaying my fears. I'm trying to keep a tight ship running... Aren't we all?

all good then. Citydeal seems to be gaining a good customer service reputation which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

CityDeal Support to me
    show details 3:57 PM (2 hours ago)
    Hi ......

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your feedback, and I am sincerely sorry this deal turned out like this.

We would like to apologise for the difficulties you encountered in redeeming your voucher with 7UP, and have now refunded €12 to your method of payment. Please allow up to 5 working days for this payment to clear.

I hope this unfortunate experience will not deter you from taking advantage of our upcoming great deals.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Customer Service

1-800-936-927
    citydeal.ie

Happy days:)

Advertisement