Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting kitchen units

• 19-01-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

whats best paint for old laquered kitchen units to try and rejuvenate them abit without much cost :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Are you revarnishing them or going to add a colour and paint? If you are painting them do not use F&B paints for kitchen units. I prefer a good quality oil based satin as these look great on cabinets. If your on a budget maybe Fleetwood Satin, available in loads of colours and can be tinted to all competitor colours.

Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

GY A1 wrote: »
    whats best paint for old laquered kitchen units to try and rejuvenate them abit without much cost :)

Paint and grain:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Are you revarnishing them or going to add a colour and paint? If you are painting them do not use F&B paints for kitchen units. I prefer a good quality oil based satin as these look great on cabinets. If your on a budget maybe Fleetwood Satin, available in loads of colours and can be tinted to all competitor colours.

Phil

As a matter of interest why not F&B? We painted our kitchen cabinets a good few years ago and stayed in great shape. We repainted another kitchen a year or so ago in a different house and is still looking great despite heavy wear.

We have tried a few paint shops in the past and whilst they can get tinting fairly close, they are not really an exact match (particularly in the shades of white)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Webbs,

I'm not knocking or trying to put F&B down. They do have lovely colours and your right competitors find them difficult to match. As i'm sure you know, F&B have gone with entire water based products since 1st Jan 2010. Question was for kitchen cabinets. I'd always recommend an oil paint for these as they stand up better especially in high traffic areas. Prehaps you painted yours in the oil base, which in my opinion was their best range of paints before they wound it up.:confused:

They have decent paints, however there is a certain amount of romance involved with F&B. Very clever marketing and image. Of course this is just my opinion.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Webbs,

I'm not knocking or trying to put F&B down. They do have lovely colours and your right competitors find them difficult to match. As i'm sure you know, F&B have gone with entire water based products since 1st Jan 2010. Question was for kitchen cabinets. I'd always recommend an oil paint for these as they stand up better especially in high traffic areas. Prehaps you painted yours in the oil base, which in my opinion was their best range of paints before they wound it up.:confused:

They have decent paints, however there is a certain amount of romance involved with F&B. Very clever marketing and image. Of course this is just my opinion.

Phil.

Hi
    Agree they are very good at their marketing and yes had thankfully managed to use their oil based paints before they had to stop making them. So I guess your right in that their current range of waterbased paints wouldn't be the best for high traffic areas

• Advertisement
Advertisement