Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bratislava or Belgrade

• 19-01-2011 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to either place? Would love any info please..cheap places to eat, markets, "have to do" things. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Hi there,

Been to Bratislava on a road trip last year. It really is a great unknown, try searchin Amazon for tourist guides and you will see that there are not so many. It is very neglected on account of Prague in nearby Czech.

Despite a friend warning me that Bratislava sounds like a place where you could end up chained to a radiator, we decided to head there - and were certainly not disappointed. Plenty to see and not overly touristic. In fact I would say that they still need to develop some skills in dealing with tourists but the rough edges add to the charm.

There are many sights to see there - definitely take a trip to the Soviet Slavin monument overlooking the city and enjoy the trek up the hilly residential area taking in the sights of decaying town houses that must have been palatial in their heyday. Have drink in the UFO cafe and go search for Cumil and Schone Nazi, and definitely do not miss the Blue Church. There is a tower where there is a cannon ball still lodged in its facade from Napoleonic times and a plaque where a witch was burned and plenty of eastern europe architecture. Try some absinthe as well, foul stuff that it is but a must in the east :-)

There is plenty to see there and you can eat out quite cheaply. And its off the beaten track!

I would go back!

PS Parking is a problem and you can get scammed on that...

If you like I can post up some pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Hi there,

Been to Bratislava on a road trip last year. It really is a great unknown, try searchin Amazon for tourist guides and you will see that there are not so many. It is very neglected on account of Prague in nearby Czech.

Despite a friend warning me that Bratislava sounds like a place where you could end up chained to a radiator, we decided to head there - and were certainly not disappointed. Plenty to see and not overly touristic. In fact I would say that they still need to develop some skills in dealing with tourists but the rough edges add to the charm.

There are many sights to see there - definitely take a trip to the Soviet Slavin monument overlooking the city and enjoy the trek up the hilly residential area taking in the sights of decaying town houses that must have been palatial in their heyday. Have drink in the UFO cafe and go search for Cumil and Schone Nazi, and definitely do not miss the Blue Church. There is a tower where there is a cannon ball still lodged in its facade from Napoleonic times and a plaque where a witch was burned and plenty of eastern europe architecture. Try some absinthe as well, foul stuff that it is but a must in the east :-)

There is plenty to see there and you can eat out quite cheaply. And its off the beaten track!

I would go back!

PS Parking is a problem and you can get scammed on that...

Thanks for the reply :). I've looked up Cumil..easily found Id say if you know hes there ;). Is it really worth staying for a drink in the UFO? By all accounts its very expensive!? Of course a trip up and down is a given!
    Ahhhh Absinthe...NOOOOOOOOOOOO...Was nearly killed in Prague with that :eek:.

As for getting chained to radiators...:confused::eek:

Parking wouldnt be an issue so we'd be ok in that regard.

You are there once so have a beer and enjoy the view! The castle looks magnificent from such a vantage point. And you can get on the viewing parapet and if its late you can hear the city hum.

take a walk along the bank toward the new bridge, I was wary at first since it is unlit but I had absolutely no issues or at any time felt unsafe in Bratislave.

But do not miss the Blue Church!

Its worth it to go into the UFO tower just so you can use the bathroom. It sounds perverse, but the walls are like the single way reflective glass like in the interrogation room a cheap cop flick.

So you are standing there over 100 feet in the air because the walls are transparaent you feel like you are..urinating on the city :eek:

And nobody can see you!

• Advertisement

Its worth it to go into the UFO tower just so you can use the bathroom. It sounds perverse, but the walls are like the single way reflective glass like in the interrogation room a cheap cop flick.

So you are standing there over 100 feet in the air because the walls are transparaent you feel like you are..urinating on the city :eek:

And nobody can see you!

Ok! We'll go up for a drink :)..Heading over on Wednesday courtesy of my great children (christmas pressie :D)

We're promised snow :D:D:D

Enjoy it my good man!

Opera is also incredibly cheap there - only a few euros for a top class performance.

Below are a couple of shots, I will not display the interior of the UFO so that it is still a surprise for you. Reminds me of War of the Worlds :D

I stayed in the Film Hotel, the Bardot suite. The artistic portraits of this French doll winged me to the sleep of angels :D

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

I'm a lady actually :p..a middle aged one at that!! We're staying in Possunim(possinium?) hostel (Love hostels)..Its a mad looking place.Have a look at their website :D

Thanks for the pics...Im really looking forward to it.
    Came across KGB pub..What can I say :D

My humble apologies - these days with unisex usernames its very hard to tell. That is why as a gentleman I put "Herr" in mine to allay any confusion or question of gender. I appreciate your discretion on ignoring the rest of my username - caused by a brief moment of indiscretion.

Here are some shots of the Bratislava cuisine - starters and main. Accommodation was expensive considering its not a touristic hot spot but food was very very cheap (if you get off the tourist trail - try some side streets)

I found it quite similar to German fare.

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

Vielen danke :D

• Advertisement

How could I forget....

You must search the building "Radio Slovenska".

Well we're home!! It was fantastic..a lovely little city where we found it difficult to spend much money :D. Saw everything you recommended,and had a lovely time.

Went to the UFO Saturday evening..OMG :eek:..not for the faint hearted..Im no good with heights but its a bit special. 30euro each for 3 courses so it was'nt too bad for a special night.

The blue church was closed but we had a look in the door..really pretty.
    The food was great and the locals are so friendly and helpful. Id highly recommend it for long weekend. :)

Thanks for all your info!!!

I had forgotton how unnerving that UFO is. The way it sways due to leverage.

Please tell me you checked the bathroom :D

I had forgotton how unnerving that UFO is. The way it sways due to leverage.

Please tell me you checked the bathroom :D

I thought it was my legs gone wonky :D:D:eek:

Oh ya..the bathroom is good :P very strange way to use the facilities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mojacar for Me

Bratislava wins here by a mile. Hire a car, only €20 a day, airport is only 15 minutes from city centre and is all pedestrianised. Fantastic place to walk around for a day or two max, great place for shopping , has all UK big brands, Tesco, H&M, etc. Is only 56k from Vienna which is a great day trip.

Advertisement