Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastocytoma Tumor on my Boxer

• 19-01-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Just posting this looking for advice etc.

Today i brought my Boxer Mackey 4 years old to the vet after noticing a large red spot about size of a 2 euro coin on his left side.Last month i noticed a small lump where the tumor now is,but because my other Boxer has the same thing(who i also brought to the vet about a year ago over)Vet said it's ok some older dogs get things like so it's and there would be no immediate need to remove but if i had to bring him in for another operation he would then remove it.So he basically said no need to operate on it.So on this advice i stupidly assumed Mackey had the same thing.

So i got up this morning and found one of them had done a wee during the night on the floor,so i put them out the back for a while,I noticed Jake my other boxer was licking Mackey but i took no notice just said to myself ahh he's washing him :rolleyes:

I left him in and noticed it as he was passing me in the door, straight to the vet.Mackey is going in Friday morning to have removed and a biopsy Grand total 350 euro:(but it has to be done

So i'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what can i expect post op,Vet said she taking 2cm squared around the tumor off.

Would be grateful for any advice

Mackey is currently wearing a t-shirt to stop Jake licking him:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Hope your doggie is ok xx,I had to have my beloved boxer put to sleep just before xmas,massive stomach tumour which was pressing on his heart and lungs making breathing dufficult and causing fits:(.He was 11.5 with dialated Cardiomyopathy so would not have survived an op.Let us know how he gets on x boxers are such great dogs :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Post op shouldn't be a problem especially if the tumour is confined to the skin. Dogs recover really well from surgery. The key will be the biopsy results to determine if it is malignant. If it is not then just keep checking the dogs every week for any lumps. I now do this routinely after one of mine got a breast tumour. You need to check carefully as the tumour that I discovered was hardly bigger than a grain of rice.

If the tumour is malignant then your Vet may prescribe drug therapy to reduce the risk of new tumours developing. Also they may advise that you check the dog more thoroughly & bring it back for regular checks. 4 years old is very young & even if the tumour is malignant it does not mean that it has spread.

Advertisement