Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you think the league of Ireland declined in popularity ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Kilkenny never were going to stay afloat, I remember my first trip down there in 2007 and we were driving down, asked a bunch of kids in football jerseys and kicking football where Buckley Park was, they'd never even heard of it, sums up why Kilkenny died.

Outside of Tallaght and Cabra most Dublin kids wouldnt know where their nearest team plays. Fcuk I remember asking my dad when I was about 11 why werent there such a thing as Irish clubs (told me he went a bit in they heyday but the standard just became too sh1te by the 80s). They dont promote themselves. On the flipside fans do put more importance on the national team than probably most countries, which is a good thing (per head of population we had one of the highest average turnouits worldwide for the WC qualifiers). Arent too many other countries that can get 1% of their population into a stadium to watch us whacking Andorra or the like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

flahavaj wrote: »
    The whole point of this thread is to debate the reason why this doesn't happen, not engage in the same tired old debates that have been done to death before.

Simple they've never been exposed to a LoI game with their mates. I grew up a Liverpool fan from primary school and like most other English football fans, dismissed the LOI as '****e'.

I got sick about six years ago and couldn't drink or do much of anything for three months and my brother and three mates decided we'd go to see a Rovers play St Pats in Dalymount and from that moment on I was hooked. I've been to Anfield a load of times, been the 2006 FA Cup final against West Ham, and still to a lesser extent, support Liverpool but there really is no comparison.

When Rovers play, it's my team playing, lads from around the corner being supported by lads from around the corner, playing against pricks from around the corner. It's weird because the feeling you get from LOI football is exactly what a large deal of English fans are trying to recapture now with the likes of FC United and AFC Wimbledon. People taking pride in their little patch of dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

CDon't want to get into this, but yes Rovers run themselves well now (even though they made a loss last season)

Rovers didn't post a loss last season!!! Rovers have made a profit for the past two seasons. There was accumulated debt from previous seasons (before the tallaght move) that has brought down using the profits gained thus far. The bohs fan "reporter" in the herald just decided to roll out the Rovers make a loss statement showing nothing but ignorance to even the most basic of accounting principles.

Back on track I fully agree with Xavi here he got it spot on. The funny thing is looking through the past few pages I find it a rather sad indictment of Irish life that is seems we can't do anything without alcohol. So many posts talking about beers before, beers during and beers after. Are we really that dependent on it that we can't enjoy a match without it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't have the solutions, I wouldn't even try

But greyhound racing had a very tough time in Ireland. And Bord na gCon turned a lot of that around. A lot of it to do with investing in facilities, the like of Galway race track is superb and a great place for office parties and going for a night out.
    And they market themselves very well. Going to races isn't for compulsive gamblers, no it's a night out of entertainment for all. Catering facilities on hand as well.

Facilities do play a factor and so does marketing. Maybe the FAI can look to Bord na gCon for a pointer or two

Or maybe I'm talking nonsense but it's better for a club to try something then sit back and wonder where they are going wrong

Shamrock Rovers website is quite good at this, constantly trying to sell themselves and pushing their suite and packages. Buy some package or sponsership and get a gameday meal, drink vouchers, parking and so on. That's how you market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not sure the bad facilities and management can be totally blamed. The LOI was in very rude health (attendance-wise) - despite the shit facilities - before the advent of televised English football here. Also pivotal was LOI teams meeting big teams in Europe, for example, United and Rovers in the European Cup (where Rovers were wellied over here) and Irish people being exposed to a higher level of football on their doorstep and also the weirdly/close cultural relationship and exchange between our two countries.

A lot of blame has to be squarely laid at the foot of the clubs and authorities though for not building facilities here when the league was flourishing. I think the poor facilities and management are to blame for Ireland not having a local football situation like Scotland and England though: for example, in places in England that fall equally under the gravitational pull of your Liverpools and Uniteds, you still have loads of support for the big clubs but smaller football teams still have far better support and facilities despite not being much better than LOI standard-wise. As somebody pointed out here before, LOI probably offers the best level of football in Europe for the amount of people that actually attend.

Also as pointed out earlier in the thread: TV viewing - especially in the undoubtedly enjoyable social/pub context and in tandem with the prohibitive cost of attending big games with your kids - is becoming the de-facto ways to view the very top-level of football. I think it's a generational sea-change. I like watching TV football but nothing can compare for me to live football: the camaraderie of the terrace and the social aspect but more and more people purely watch football on the box and obviously the LOI is going to suffer because of that.
    Fcuk I remember asking my dad when I was about 11 why werent there such a thing as Irish clubs (told me he went a bit in they heyday but the standard just became too sh1te by the 80s).

The standard was arguably at one of its highest points then. My first LOI game was in 1986(I think) - a friendly where Rovers beat United and I remember Atkinson buying Liam O Brien from Rovers around that time. Not sure you'd see that nowadays. :) The 'quality' argument is also pretty bogus considering the style of the English game (and the facilities) in the 80s. That said, I think people here often confuse quality and shite football. LOI teams are not better than EPL or Championship teams but it doesn't mean they play bad football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Value for money?

Value for money?

It costs €15 to get into a Rovers game. The last time I was in Stamford Bridge the cheapest ticket was £45 (chelsea - blackburn) and it was an absolutely rancid game. Add to that the flights and the hotel the whole package came in at approx €260.

€15 - ok we'll add in the €1 it costs me for diesel to get there. €16 total against €260. Its really that much of a difference?

Value for money?

You can get a Rovers season ticket for the price of a day-trip to see a British team.

iregk wrote: »
    It costs €15 to get into a Rovers game. The last time I was in Stamford Bridge the cheapest ticket was £45 (chelsea - blackburn) and it was an absolutely rancid game. Add to that the flights and the hotel the whole package came in at approx €260.

€15 - ok we'll add in the €1 it costs me for diesel to get there. €16 total against €260. Its really that much of a difference?

Just look at the overall experience that Chelsea offer versus Rovers.
    You cant factor in travel expenses only ticket price IMO.

You can get a Rovers season ticket for the price of a day-trip to see a British team.

IMO i`d rather go see a top team play than watch a season of mediocricy TBH.

• Advertisement

You cant factor in travel expenses only ticket price IMO.

That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Its the cost of getting in to see the match which in Chelsea's case or any premier side's case means flights/boat and hotel (usually).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IMO i`d rather go see a top team play once than watch a season of mediocricy TBH.
    FYP

Sums it up really. Too many daytrippers and event junkies here to make the league sustainable. Irish people fell out of the habit of being football fans in the late 60's and now comments like the above are sadly the norm.

IMO i`d rather go see a top team play than watch a season of mediocricy TBH.

Well then by all means do so. But why not go the whole hog and support a truly world class team like Barcelona rather than settle for the rather average and dull British brand of football?

That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Its the cost of getting in to see the match which in Chelsea's case or any premier side's case means flights/boat and hotel (usually).

OK, wasn't the clearest in my posts.
    Value for money ticket price wise is what i'm talking about.

Well then by all means do so. But why not go the whole hog and support a truly world class team like Barcelona rather than settle for the rather average and dull British brand of football?

I do watch spanish football. If there was a spanish game on T.V and a LOI match on i'd watch the spanish game. I like watching entertaining football played well....

CiaranC wrote: »
    FYP

Sums it up really. Too many daytrippers and event junkies here to make the league sustainable. Irish people fell out of the habit of being football fans in the late 60's and now comments like the above are sadly the norm.

You know nothing about me yet you assume because i dont go to LOI i'm somehow not a real football fan? You also assume i'm irish.....

You know nothing about me yet you assume because i dont go to LOI i'm somehow not a real football fan? You also assume i'm irish.....
    I was making a general point. Most football fans in Ireland (you are a football fan in Ireland are you not?) would rather spend their cash to attend one or two games a season, as opposed to the more traditional model of attending week in, week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Have you ever been to a LOI game?

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Have you ever been to a LOI game?

If thats directed at me then yes i have.

• Advertisement

FYP

I was making a general point. Most football fans in Ireland (you are a football fan in Ireland are you not?) would rather spend their cash to attend one or two games a season, as opposed to the more traditional model of attending week in, week out.

Quite a condescending point directed at me TBH because i'm not a true fan of football because i dont regular spend good money on poor quality football.

OK, wasn't the clearest in my posts.
    Value for money ticket price wise is what i'm talking about.

But thats being selective about it. The fact is being in Ireland you have to pay all the associated costs of going to an EPL game. So its not just £45 for a ticket, it is the flight and hotel as well. From my house to Tallaght and back costs €16 approx. Little less when you work out my season ticket. From my house to Stamdford Bridge and back costs in the region of €250-300. My season ticket for Rovers costs €200.

Quite a condescending point directed at me TBH because i'm not a true fan of football because i dont regular spend good money on poor quality football.
    Do you pay in to high quality football every week?

Do you pay in to high quality football every week?

So now if i cant afford to go to games i'm not a football fan either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

event wrote: »
    because its shíte

Yet 40,000 are willing to go watch Ireland play Andorra.

But thats being selective about it. The fact is being in Ireland you have to pay all the associated costs of going to an EPL game. So its not just £45 for a ticket, it is the flight and hotel as well. From my house to Tallaght and back costs €16 approx. Little less when you work out my season ticket. From my house to Stamdford Bridge and back costs in the region of €250-300. My season ticket for Rovers costs €200.

I dont like LOI. I didnt grow up around an area that had a LOI team. 15 euro for a ticket IMO is more than you should be paying for what your getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

cson wrote: »
    Again, have you been to a game or even watch a game? Watched MNS even?

What constitutes good football? Clearly the likes of Barcelona or Arsenal play at a different level but is Scunthorpe and Doncaster considered attractive football given they play in the same league as your chosen club?

Good gravy! Poor Scrunthorpe get mentioned more than any other English clubs in these LOI threads. It's like the LOI rallying cry: "but Scrunthorpe, but Scrunthorpe!!"

First off, Scrunthorpe would skull **** the LOI, and walk away with it at a canter given their current squad. Many won't like that, but it's the truth. Moreover, Leeds play in a league with Sheffield Utd, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Norwich, Coventry City, Ipswich, Cardiff, Swansea, Derby, QPR, Middlesborough, Hull, etc, etc...

Then in the next tier down there are clubs like Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield.

These are quite simply better supported leagues, with bigger clubs with bigger budgets and a much higher mean quality of football than has ever been sustained in the LOI.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Why fight it? The standard is awful. It is league 2 standard at the very best, while Division 1 is not even conference level for the most part.

I say all this as someone who renewed his season ticket for CCFC today as well.

Like you, I'll be a regular at UCD home games this year (watching a lot more losses than wins no doubt :(), and I can't understand the need to fight the good fight on this forum all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair, premier league clubs cannot really afford to charge any less.

Catch 22 here. LOI fans do not understand why non fans won't go, non fans talk down the product to an amusing level.

While I am a long standing fan, I understand 100% why people chose not to go, for reasons I outlined far earlier in the thread.

So now if i cant afford to go to games i'm not a football fan either?
    Word games tbh

If you were a "real" football fan you could easily afford to go regularly. Its the fact that you "support" a team in another country that means you cant experience supporting that team like regular fans there (or here) do.

Word games tbh

If you were a "real" football fan you could easily afford to go regularly. Its the fact that you "support" a team in another country that means you cant experience supporting that team like regular fans there (or here) do.

But that doesn't make you somehow better than me. Down off your high horse, good lad.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

But that doesn't make you somehow better than me. Down off your high horse, good lad.....

It's a losing battle, a lot of LOI fans are more interested in how they're percived as football fans than the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look, the thing is most football fans aren't real football junkies. I have some friends who are ardent Utd / Liverpool fans or whatever, but they've never pushed themselves to play football consistently and struggle to get out and watch their mates playing their important park football matches a couple of times a season.

I love going to watch friends of mine playing UCFL on a Saturday afternoon - a mate of mine coaches some Cherry Orchard youth teams so I might head and watch a game of that on a Saturday morning; when it comes to football on TV I watch a lot more than simply the premiership (because you can do that with the likes of ESPN showing Seria A, Bundesliga, Dutch League and Russian Leagues); so when I live a short walk from UCD obviously I will stroll down and watch them playing at home on a Friday night.

But I'm utterly consumed by football, I admit it. I spend far too much of my life in general watching sport of all types. What you people need to start accepting is that most people who like football aren't:

A) Football addicts, i.e. obsessed with football on a simple level;
    B) In need of a sense of community or belonging that a lot of you guys hold dear from supporting your LOI team;

Most people who like football spend no more than a few hours a week actually watching it. Their lives are filled with other things, and supporting a premiership club through their TV is just another entertainment commodity for them. They are lost causes as far as the LOI is concerned.

What the LOI should be concentrating on is survival and living within its means, and turning its attention to youth setups. Of the top 10 or so Dublin Schoolboy programs, only two are LOI (Rovers and Shels). Get the strongest youth setups and you'll have the best youth players at your clubs from an early age. More than that, you'll have hundreds of kids and their extended families feeling a connection to LOI senior teams from an early age. And eventually tens of kids a year who consider their club to be the LOI club that they played for all the way through their youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's a losing battle, a lot of LOI fans are more interested in how they're percived as football fans than the football.

For every barstool generalization there are people that swing in to a discussion and just say "x is shite"". I can't see how either are any worse than the other, or more to the point, are any more less likely to put backs up and derail things.

Why not either stamp down on both, or better still, accept that either will be deployed and not get precious about one and ignore the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Look, the thing is most football fans aren't real football junkies. I have some friends who are ardent Utd / Liverpool fans or whatever, but they've never pushed themselves to play football consistently and struggle to get out and watch their mates playing their important park football matches a couple of times a season.

I love going to watch friends of mine playing UCFL on a Saturday afternoon - a mate of mine coaches some Cherry Orchard youth teams so I might head and watch a game of that on a Saturday morning; when it comes to football on TV I watch a lot more than simply the premiership (because you can do that with the likes of ESPN showing Seria A, Bundesliga, Dutch League and Russian Leagues); so when I live a short walk from UCD obviously I will stroll down and watch them playing at home on a Friday night.

But I'm utterly consumed by football, I admit it. I spend far too much of my life in general watching sport of all types. What you people need to start accepting is that most people who like football aren't:

A) Football addicts, i.e. obsessed with football on a simple level;
    B) In need of a sense of community or belonging that a lot of you guys hold dear from supporting your LOI team;

Most people who like football spend no more than a few hours a week actually watching it. Their lives are filled with other things, and supporting a premiership club through their TV is just another entertainment commodity for them. They are lost causes as far as the LOI is concerned.

What the LOI should be concentrating on is survival and living within its means, and turning its attention to youth setups. Of the top 10 or so Dublin Schoolboy programs, only two are LOI (Rovers and Shels). Get the strongest youth setups and you'll have the best youth players at your clubs from an early age. More than that, you'll have hundreds of kids and their extended families feeling a connection to LOI senior teams from an early age. And eventually tens of kids a year who consider their club to be the LOI club that they played for all the way through their youth.

pretty much spot on LL

life gets in the way for most people. Jesus even for just watching football on TV nowadays I find I don't watch half as much as I used to. I'm not as obsessed as yourself, but I'm not that far off. I've noticed that with friends a lot, people who call themselves football fans, and in fairness they are, but its on a relatively shallow level. They aren't particularly interested in the detail, or appreciate some of the German performances in the WC, but rant and rave about Barca or the latest "wunderkid", or will claim that this is better than that without actually having any notion of the stats.

I didn't grow up down here, so tbh I've no affinity for any of the LOI clubs, hasn't stopped me going to a few games every season though. Nothing beats going to a game with a few mates. Having a pint or two after and then a big durty burger on the way home in my book. Whether the game is played on the pitches in Swords between the under 10s or Dalyer or Anfield I've always enjoyed the social aspect nearly as much as the football. That goes for barstooling as well.

One thing I think has a lot to do with it though, is how you are brought up and your parental influence. My dad has no more interest in sports, and actually none of the rest of my brothers/sisters have more than a passing interest in anything sporty. He had no team, so therefore none was passed onto me. Round that time as young kid, King Kenny, was knocking them in so i picked Liverpool and so began the relationship. It was despite the lack of parental input that I grew to love sports. These generation things in sports play a huge role, and I'd say we're seeing the impact of the 80's on attendances today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Maybe its just me but here's my take.

I started supporting Shels in the mid nineties. From then up until 2006 we were one of the top sides, playing decent football always challenging for something. Then the sh!t hit the fan and we got demoted.
    The fact that we went from literally the best in the country to absolutely awful and challenging for nothing didn't stop me from going to games. I still got pissed off if I was late for kick off and i'd still crawl over broken glass to swap a shift if it clashed with a game.
    My point is the standard of football is not why I go and I don't think it ever was so anyone who uses that excuse is a consumer and not a fan.

dan1895 wrote: »
    My point is the standard of football is not why I go and I don't think it ever was so anyone who uses that excuse is a consumer and not a fan.
    Interesting point. Presumably the likes of BumbleBee123 here would simply abandon "their" team if they were forced to play at a level with a lower standard of football.

In your opinion that is.
    Its not an excuse. I'm a fan of good football. I like to watch good games of football. I like to be entertained.

Any time i've been to a LOI game i was almost always bored TBH.

In your opinion your only a fan if you support your local team?

Interesting point. Presumably the likes of BumbleBee123 here would simply abandon "their" team if they were forced to play at a level with a lower standard of football.

Your good at the old presuming alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I once went to a premiership game about ten years ago. Liverpool against Fulham. Awful muck that one game was and I've never set foot inside a premiership ground since. Never been so bored in all my life.

Your good at the old presuming alright
    If Chelsea go bust and drop down the leagues, would you continue to watch them, regardless of the standard they put out, or not?

If Chelsea go bust and drop down the leagues, will you continue to watch them, regardless of the standard they put out, or not?

I dont support Chelsea but i get what your saying. Yes i would continue to watch the team i support. Because i am a fan of them for so long. I support Liverpool and the standard has dropped dramatically of the last 20 or so years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Are these two things mutually exclusive though?

If anyone believes that sport is not about entertainment, then they are lying to themselves. Unfortunately, the term "entertainment" has gotten a bad rep recently, mostly driven by all this celebrity culture nonsense.

Sport should be entertaining, but not in an X-Factor type of way. It should be an enjoyable way to pass your time. The LOI/FAI and the supporters need to get to grips with this concept. The myth that the football is sh1te etc needs to be dispelled and people need to be shown that the standard is actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

i have actually always wondered this, if someone who gives their reason for not supporting their local team is the standard is ****e what would they do if the club they shout for in the premiership dropped down to bottom of league 2. would they still support this club given the standard they now play at is ****e!?

and as a side note, just because loi is not up to epl standard does not mean its crap, that is just an ignorant stupid statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Interesting question.

Part of it is, of course, the LoI failing to react to televised foreign football until it was too late. But even back then when the big clubs were getting 40,000 as a matter of routine, people still followed foreign ball, especially English and Scottish. The question is why did these fans drop the local sides.

The idea that its to do with maladministration is laughable. The LoI has a long way to go to become the jokeshop off the field that the English game is. Leeds fans saying that badly run Irish clubs are why they don't take an interest? Pull the other one, bells on it etc.

I think the fundamental point is that Irish people don't do regular sport. We do events. Gah cup finals, big internationals, glamour friendlies and all that. We don't as a sporting culture tend to get to games every week, in any sport. That hurts football, even though the LoI is by a mile the best supported league on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

In your opinion that is.
    Its not an excuse. I'm a fan of good football. I like to watch good games of football. I like to be entertained.

Any time i've been to a LOI game i was almost always bored TBH.

In your opinion your only a fan if you support your local team?

Do you watch whatever foreign club you 'support' in the flesh or on tv?

Or put another way, is it live football that bores you?

Do you watch whatever foreign club you 'support' in the flesh or on tv?

Or put another way, is it live football that bores you?

All i'm saying is the quality of football on offer does not equal the price of a ticket for the majority of LOI games i've been too.

Since then i've been told by a few posters that basically if i dont support a local team and go week in week out i'm not a football fan which had nothing to do with my original post. Since then i've gone OT trying to defend myself TBH

All i`m saying is to get people into the grounds bottom line should be to give punters value for money. IMO thats just not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good gravy! Poor Scrunthorpe get mentioned more than any other English clubs in these LOI threads. It's like the LOI rallying cry: "but Scrunthorpe, but Scrunthorpe!!"

First off, Scrunthorpe would skull **** the LOI, and walk away with it at a canter given their current squad. Many won't like that, but it's the truth. Moreover, Leeds play in a league with Sheffield Utd, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Norwich, Coventry City, Ipswich, Cardiff, Swansea, Derby, QPR, Middlesborough, Hull, etc, etc...

Then in the next tier down there are clubs like Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield.

These are quite simply better supported leagues, with bigger clubs with bigger budgets and a much higher mean quality of football than has ever been sustained in the LOI.

That post wasn't directed at you. It was in reply to a poster who said the LoI was shite, he supported Leeds thus I asked him would an LoI games be any worse in standard than Scunny v Donny. If you'd read the the whole thread you'd see that I'm far from an ardent LoI follower but I do think it's disingenuous to label it as 'shite' hence my responding post. You've made a good post subsequently regarding the Youth Set-ups which I would agree with as being the future of LoI clubs - developing more Kevin Doyles or Stephen Wards is a more sustainable model than shelling out heavy dollar to the likes of Joe Ndo.

I think the fundamental point is that Irish people don't do regular sport.
    Leinster seem to be averaging about 15k a game. So all we need is a ready made, top class league featuring some of the worlds best players and a bunch of nice stadiums and we are all set.

All i'm saying is the quality of football on offer does not equal the price of a ticket for the majority of LOI games i've been too.

Since then i've been told by a few posters that basically if i dont support a local team and go week in week out i'm not a football fan which had nothing to do with my original post. Since then i've gone OT trying to defend myself TBH

All i`m saying is to get people into the grounds bottom line should be to give punters value for money. IMO thats just not there.

Out of interest what would constitute value for money?

Tickets are max 15 quid. They can work out as low as a fiver if you buy a season ticket at some clubs. Any lower and our barely sustainable league would disappear.

• Advertisement

The idea that its to do with maladministration is laughable. The LoI has a long way to go to become the jokeshop off the field that the English game is. Leeds fans saying that badly run Irish clubs are why they don't take an interest? Pull the other one, bells on it etc.

You can pull the other one too; LoI is as much if not more a joke shop off the field. Has any LoI club not had solvency issues in the last 10 years or so?

Advertisement