Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you think the league of Ireland declined in popularity ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

look the bottom line is the standard is very poor, anyone who thinks differently is codding themselves, i have been to cork city games and all i saw was heavy 1st touches, no dribbling & too much hoofing, why anyone would spend money following failed players who couldnt make it in england is beyond me

Sounds like the bottom half of the EPL to me...

Do you mind me asking what standard would be good enough for you?

Or put another way, what country of 4.5m people has a better standard of domestic league?

major bill wrote: »
    i went to see burton albion play against histon town a couple of years ago not the most glamourous of teams they didnt play good football but still got a great crowd, its a irish thing...parkerkent said the GAA has a deeper meaning for irish people this is true in england theres a deeper meaning towards there football, ireland doesnt have this towards football.

I can't agree with that.

The Gah have a great setup in rural Ireland. No disputing that.

But the idea that they 'love' their games more than their rugby, football, badminton or whatever equivalents is patronising guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No LoI club ever got 40,000 regularly.

Thought some of the crowds were big myself when I read it.

I can have a quick leaf thriough Who Stole Our Game later on and check again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    Thought some of the crowds were big myself when I read it.

I can have a quick leaf thriough Who Stole Our Game later on and check again.

The only ground back then in the LoI that held 40,000 or so was Dalyer and you can rest assured Bohs did not pack the place out on a regular basis while racking up all those re-elections.

Crowds were good "back in the day" cos kids were lifted over the stiles and there was fck all else for (mainly) male adults to do and while Milltown, Tolka, Flower Lodge may have been packed every so often, they weren't exactly huge places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can't agree with that.

The Gah have a great setup in rural Ireland. No disputing that.

But the idea that they 'love' their games more than their rugby, football, badminton or whatever equivalents is patronising guff.

He is not saying that individual people love it more than other individuals love other sports. It is that the GAA has the same cultural significance in Ireland as soccer does in England. Both are each countries national games. Nobody is saying anything about a GAA volunteer loving their game more than a rugby or soccer equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The only ground back then in the LoI that held 40,000 or so was Dalyer and you can rest assured Bohs did not pack the place out on a regular basis while racking up all those re-elections.

Crowds were good "back in the day" cos kids were lifted over the stiles and there was fck all else for (mainly) male adults to do and while Milltown, Tolka, Flower Lodge may have been packed every so often, they weren't exactly huge places.

true but there was no proper count done on the attendances so there is no real figure on what they actually were id doubt it was more than 30,000.it begs the question where did the money go??? certantly didnt go to the players or into the grounds.

a quote from who stole our game ''the problem back in them days was how to keep the crowds out''.

look the bottom line is the standard is very poor, anyone who thinks differently is codding themselves, i have been to cork city games and all i saw was heavy 1st touches, no dribbling & too much hoofing, why anyone would spend money following failed players who couldnt make it in england is beyond me

You should watch some of the old 70s and 80s MOTD reruns on the retro channels. A whole generation of people that no doubt post on here grew up on that and they didn't seem put off by the mud, hoofing and basic maiming that was commonplace - despite your handful of Beardsleys, Hoddles, Waddles and the odd exotic rarity like Ardilles and Villa.

Your argument also fails to explain the wide interest in some of the technically poorer English, Scottish and Irish (international) fare in this country.

there are vast numbers of people who train/play several times a week at their football / rugby / hockey / basketball / tiddlywinks club.

More people play football than hurling and Gaelic combined. No sport has turned the playing numbers, which are very high in an international context in Ireland in all sports, into punters through the gates at their games.

Its most unusual to have more people playing a given sport than attending a given sport and all Irish sports see that phenomenon.

That is just wrong. Read these stats.

In terms of participation, the GAA represents 7% of the Participation Rates for the 15 Most Popular Activities in Ireland. Which is the same percentage as soccer. Those stats may seem small but that is due to GAA and soccer players generally being aged under 30, whereas swimmers are more evenly spread across the younger and middle age-groups, while golf is unusual in having a substantial proportion of players aged over 50 years.
    http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20070223162340/BKMNINT178_Main%20Text%20Chapters%201-4.pdf

But that is just one aspect of popularity. In the wider sense, the GAA is the most popular sports association in Ireland. Which has been my point throughout my posts.
    Gaelic football is the most popular sport in Ireland in terms of match attendance and community involvement, and represents 34% of total sports attendances at events in Ireland and abroad, followed by hurling at 23%, soccer at 16% and rugby at 8%, and Initiative's ViewerTrack study measuring 2005 sports audiences showed the sport's highest-profile match, the All-Ireland Football Final, to be the most watched event of the nation's sporting year. Swimming, golf, aerobics, soccer, cycling, Gaelic football and billiards/snooker are the sporting activities with the highest levels of playing participation.

http://www.esri.ie/pdf/BKMNINT180_Main%20Text_Social%20and%20Economic%20Value%20of%20Sport.pdf

Edit: It should be added that these stats include 5-a-side soccer in their soccer participation figures.

You should watch some of the old 70s and 80s MOTD reruns on the retro channels. A whole generation of people that no doubt post on here grew up on that and they didn't seem put off by the mud, hoofing and basic maiming that was commonplace - despite your handful of Beardsleys, Hoddles, Waddles and the odd exotic rarity like Ardilles and Villa.

Your argument also fails to explain the wide interest in some of the technically poorer English, Scottish and Irish (international) fare in this country.

In fairness, those "hoofers" won 7 European Cups in that period.

• Advertisement

In fairness, those "hoofers" won 7 European Cups in that period.

Maybe therein lies the answer. ;)

That is just wrong. Read these stats.

In terms of participation, the GAA represents 7% of the Participation Rates for the 15 Most Popular Activities in Ireland. Which is the same percentage as soccer. Those stats may seem small but that is due to GAA and soccer players generally being aged under 30, whereas swimmers are more evenly spread across the younger and middle age-groups, while golf is unusual in having a substantial proportion of players aged over 50 years.
    http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20070223162340/BKMNINT178_Main%20Text%20Chapters%201-4.pdf

But that is just one aspect of popularity. In the wider sense, the GAA is the most popular sports association in Ireland. Which has been my point throughout my posts.

http://www.esri.ie/pdf/BKMNINT180_Main%20Text_Social%20and%20Economic%20Value%20of%20Sport.pdf

Edit: It should be added that these stats include 5-a-side soccer in their soccer participation figures.

But what does 'sports association' mean?

Yes the Gah has more members than any other sport, partially because one needs to be a member to drink in their state built bars and partially because to play at any level you need to join the central organisation.

Football, rugby, swimming, golf do not have that requirement to play.

Also in that survey is the clear stat that more people play football than play both gaelic games.

This is probably a more realistic figure on average LOI attendances in its heyday.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/elfshane4.html

From doing a few minutes research, there were a few 40,000+ attendances but they were for FAI Cup Finals.

40,000 might be stretching for effect, but on occasion league games got those numbers, especially between Rovers, Drums and Cork Hibs. Cup games were massive occasions in Dublin.

Rovers routinely got 20,000 + crowds 'back in the day'

Maybe therein lies the answer. ;)

You can't have it both ways. You have now said that people only followed them in the 70s/80s because they were winning things, yet also are bemused as to why people were following poor football teams. They can't have such massive success and also be poor teams playing poor football.

Yes the Gah has more members than any other sport, partially because one needs to be a member to drink in their state built bars and partially because to play at any level you need to join the central organisation.

Also in that survey is the clear stat that more people play football than play both gaelic games.

It is pretty obvious what I mean. The FAI, GAA etc. It was a catch-all phrase for the various sports bodies in the country.

Also stop calling it the Gah, it is childish. As are your other comments about it in that post. You don't like the GAA, deal with it.

How exactly is it clear that more participate in soccer? The participation rate for soccer is 7%. The participation rates for the two GAA codes combined in 7% (4% for Gaelic Football, 3% for hurling). I know you have had problems with numbers and stats in this thread, but you should be able to see that more people are not playing soccer than the GAA from those stats. Those stats are including all forms of soccer, so a 5-a-side player is treated the same as a Sunday League, LSL or LOI player.

You should really stop the petty arguments and petty comments. Neither the GAA nor soccer is better than the other. But there are valid reasons given in this thread as to why the LOI has lost popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

major bill wrote: »
    Ulster- Donegal- finn Harps
    Monaghan- Monaghan united
    Cavan- none

connacht- sligo- sligo rovers
    Galway- galway united,salthill devon,mervue
    Leitrim- none
    Roscommon- none
    mayo-castlebar celtic

Munster- Limerick- limerick fc
    Cork- cork city foras, cobh ramblers
    Kerry- tralee dynamos
    Waterford- waterford united
    Clare- no team
    Tipperary- no team

leinster- dublin- 6 teams
    louth- dundalk,drogheda
    wicklow- bray wanderers
    wexford- wexford youths
    kilkenny- did have kilkenny city but no more
    kildare- did have a team but no more
    laois- no team
    offaly-tullamore town
    carlow-carlow fc
    longford- longford town
    westmeath- athlone town
    meath- no team

athlone town is for westmeath and roscommon seeing as the town is situated in both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

If you only "support" Leeds because they supposedly play attractive football well then you're missing out on a lot tbh.

And the main point is, why the f*ck can't people support a LoI team and a British club? LoI is usually played on Friday night and British football usually Saturday and Sunday, people just make excuses "****e football", "LoI fans mock me when I wear a Celtic jersey", or whatever other tripe I've heard come from people on here. For the price of a trip to say Man Utd-v-Man City match with accomdation, flights, novalty Norwich scarf, and the rest you'd be able to buy a LoI season ticket for most clubs at that price.
    I'll give this a go then, I'll buy a Drogs season ticket and make one less trip to Elland Road.

On a side note, anyone supporting Leeds, myself included cannot be put in the same bracket as a Liverpool, Celtic, Arsenal, Chelsea or United "supporter" imo.
    The shíte we've been through....

• Advertisement

I'll give this a go then, I'll buy a Drogs season ticket

You may have left this one a bit late...

You can't have it both ways. You have now said that people only followed them in the 70s/80s because they were winning things, yet also are bemused as to why people were following poor football teams. They can't have such massive success and also be poor teams playing poor football.

It is pretty obvious what I mean. The FAI, GAA etc. It was a catch-all phrase for the various sports bodies in the country.

Also stop calling it the Gah, it is childish. As are your other comments about it in that post. You don't like the GAA, deal with it.

How exactly is it clear that more participate in soccer? The participation rate for soccer is 7%. The participation rates for the two GAA codes combined in 7% (4% for Gaelic Football, 3% for hurling). I know you have had problems with numbers and stats in this thread, but you should be able to see that more people are not playing soccer than the GAA from those stats. Those stats are including all forms of soccer, so a 5-a-side player is treated the same as a Sunday League, LSL or LOI player.

You should really stop the petty arguments and petty comments. Neither the GAA nor soccer is better than the other. But there are valid reasons given in this thread as to why the LOI has lost popularity.

There are more members of the Gah than there are people playing Gaelic Games. Something more than sport gets people to join, even though I don't believe for one second they have 750,000 members (1 in 6 of the population?)

All I am saying is that LOTS of leagues have lost popularity. Provincial rugby is the exception to the rule, and thats an international competition. The AIL is dead.

We, as a nation, don't do week in week out, dyed in the wool, fandom. We do the odd match, usually a big event.

Which is unusual considering we play more sport than most countries, in spite of chronic underinvestment in facilities.

But there are specific reasons why the LoI lost so many so quickly, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He was talking about participation levels which contradicsts your post that soccer outnumbers hurling'footbalkl combined in this regard.

As for this...
    Gah has more members than any other sport, partially because one needs to be a member to drink in their state built bars and partially because to play at any level you need to join the central organisation

You dont have to be a member to drink in GAA club bars, more rubbish, and to say they were state built is pure rubbish once more. Yes, they may have been grant aided to some extent but most sports avail of these grants.

To play for my local club, then ye, you do have to join the local club, which in itself makes you a member of the central organisation. I will agree with you on the ridiculous figure of 750,000 members. That figure is trotted out every year.

You may have left this one a bit late...

I realised that after I posted... I'd like to get into LOI football, but there's no team near me really.

LOI is league 1 standard imo, which is not as bad as it sounds.

I'll always support Leeds, and that's a fact, but if there was a team in Meath I'd be there most weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

On a side note, anyone supporting Leeds, myself included cannot be put in the same bracket as a Liverpool, Celtic, Arsenal, Chelsea or United "supporter" imo.

Fúck off with that.
    You more than likely started supporting Leeds when times were good, just cos United, Celtic, Liverpool or Arsenal haven't had completely retarded ownership and gone tits up doesn't mean that you're more of a supporter than any Irish person supporting those clubs.

• Advertisement

Does everybody have to drag out these type of "my Dad could beat up your Dad" type arguments showing how they are better supporters than somebody else. All clubs have good and bad times. United, Liverpool, Leeds are no different.

Yes it is creditable that you have stuck by Leeds, but that is the whole point of being a supporter. You don't deserve a medal for continuing to support a team if you claim to have genuine affection for them. Anybody that abandoned a team they "supported" was never a real supporter.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Fúck off with that.
    You more than likely started supporting Leeds when times were good, just cos United, Celtic, Liverpool or Arsenal haven't had completely retarded ownership and gone tits up doesn't mean that you're more of a supporter than any Irish person supporting those clubs.
    Does everybody have to drag out these type of "my Dad could beat up your Dad" type arguments showing how they are better supporters than somebody else. All clubs have good and bad times. United, Liverpool, Leeds are no different.

Yes it is creditable that you have stuck by Leeds, but that is the whole point of being a supporter. You don't deserve a medal for continuing to support a team if you claim to have genuine affection for them. Anybody that abandoned a team they "supported" was never a real supporter.

I only mentioned Leeds because Gavin "Shels" replied to event, another Leeds fan. He wrote "support". In inverted commas.
    To say that someone, who regularly posts on here about a team that spent 3 years playing Yeovil bloody Town, only half supports their team or is fair weather fan, as the inverted commas imply, is ridiculous.

I know I don't deserve a medal, but I don't deserve to be compared to a "supporter", fair weather fan or a sunshiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I only mentioned Leeds because Gavin "Shels" replied to event, another Leeds fan. He wrote "support". In inverted commas.
    To say that someone, who regularly posts on here about a team that spent 3 years playing Yeovil bloody Town, only half supports their team or is fair weather fan, as the inverted commas imply, is ridiculous.

I know I don't deserve a medal, but I don't deserve to be compared to a "supporter", fair weather fan or a sunshiner.

You can't call anyone that supports those teams a sunshiner or fair weather fun until the shít hits the fan with one of them.

I probably should have been more explicit by saying I was referring to all posts by other people here too that use the word supporter in inverted commas too. I didn't mean to necessarily pick on you, just used your post to let out a bit of frustration at the "I'm a better supporter than you" type posts on here.

So sorry if it seemed like an attack on you! I just used your Leeds example to get my point across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

cson wrote: »
    Could Shams break away from the pack because of this I wonder? A good run in Europe with the money it brings plus the biggest crowds in the League - you'd imagine that'd put them far and away of everyone else financially unless another benefactor backed team came through [something like Fingal to a greater degree]
    Initially yes. But more interest=more money. More interest comes from fans: "Look Galway United are playing Shams, they were in Europe so they must be good. Let's watch it!" Bigger attendances when people realise the standard isn't all that bad. And eventually teams will catch up to them. Some team just has to make the breakthrough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Does the report state how it came to the figures? haven't got time at the moment to look thru it. Does it take into account dual players playing both Gaelic and Hurling?
    One thing about the GAA is the cross over multiple teams ie playing for 16's and minor, minor and 21's, minor/21's and jun/inter/sen
    If all their teams played on a sunday morning there'd be a lot of teams folding
    There's 2 GAA clubs in the vicinity of our club one hurling one football. I know for a fact that if all teams had to play on the same day one of the clubs would prob fold due the to amount playing with both

Re membership the FAI and GAA could not be more different. The GAA have an ethos of membership / community and everyone is encouraged to become a member - its a form of fundraising. With football very few clubs push membership. We have over 30 teams some 400 underage players and out of this 800 parents less than 20 have taken up the invitation to become a member. The 2 GAA clubs near us have a fraction of the players we have and 100's of adult non-playing members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think the league should have an 18 team premier just to expand it around the country.
    Bohs, Shels, Fingal, UCD, Rovers, Pats, Bray, Cork, Derry, Waterford, Sligo, Limerick, Galway, Athlone, Monaghan, Dundalk, Finn Harps and a Kerry team would really be a well spread out league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

BOHtox wrote: »
    I think the league should have an 18 team premier just to expand it around the country.
    Bohs, Shels, Fingal, UCD, Rovers, Pats, Bray, Cork, Derry, Waterford, Sligo, Limerick, Galway, Athlone, Monaghan, Dundalk, Finn Harps and a Kerry team would really be a well spread out league
    A 16 or 18 team league is probably the answer, but teams should be there only on merit not on geography

oldyouth wrote: »
    A 16 or 18 team league is probably the answer, but teams should be there only on merit not on geography

I agree with you. That was just my ideal

I realised that after I posted... I'd like to get into LOI football, but there's no team near me really.

LOI is league 1 standard imo, which is not as bad as it sounds.

I'll always support Leeds, and that's a fact, but if there was a team in Meath I'd be there most weeks.
    I definitely think there should be more LOI teams. In fact there is probably enough for two divisions of 18 teams each. IF you picked teams from large towns and people had an interest in following league of Ireland football. I think the 10 team league is definitely not helping the league and can only move forward by promoting teams and by having more teams closer to the public (eg no more being 60-70km away from the club)

• Advertisement

I think we should have a 350 team Premier Division so nobody is more than a five minute walk to their nearest LoI team and so everyone has a local team to support.

Entry should also be free and all grounds must have a minimum of 50,000 seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

oldyouth wrote: »

I think that is currently being looked at. The reason for the shrinkage to a 10 team league was that the top teams would play each other more regularly and thus there would be better games. The knock on effect of that is that I like most loi supporters get sick of seeing Dundalk and such 4 times a season. I'd prefer it to back to a bigger format and I think thats the general view from top to bottom in the league.

iregk wrote: »
    I think that is currently being looked at. The reason for the shrinkage to a 10 team league was that the top teams would play each other more regularly and thus there would be better games. The knock on effect of that is that I like most loi supporters get sick of seeing Dundalk and such 4 times a season. I'd prefer it to back to a bigger format and I think thats the general view from top to bottom in the league.

The fai said they'd cap the expansion to 12 teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

seriously? jesus thats some expansion isn't it. honestly what would be the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Went to a Bohs game last year. The first one of the season. Managed to get a few free tickets so went with a mate of mine.

Got talking to a lad in a pub afterwards. Anyway, got talking about football and I told him I was a Newcastle supporter.

Got called a "barstooler" etc etc. The holier than thou attitude of fans will deter me from ever going back to a LOI game again.

The standard of football may not be amazing but I was willing to give it a go for something to do of a Friday night.

Not gonna happen. Fans of the LOI who post on here seem to have the same mindset.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Went to a Bohs game last year. The first one of the season. Managed to get a few free tickets so went with a mate of mine.

Got talking to a lad in a pub afterwards. Anyway, got talking about football and I told him I was a Newcastle supporter.

Got called a "barstooler" etc etc. The holier than thou attitude of fans will deter me from ever going back to a LOI game again.

The standard of football may not be amazing but I was willing to give it a go for something to do of a Friday night.

Not gonna happen. Fans of the LOI who post on here seem to have the same mindset.

Same with me and Rugvy. I uses to watch it in the pub until a guy pissed on my Adidas Gazelles in the jacks. He said it was "the aul heino" and "no hord feelings loike" but I just know it was a malicious act of class warfare so I've never set foot in a pub again and am currently in counselling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I support Man. United myself but I find it amazing that some people would fly over every weekend to watch them when you can get your fix on a Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Same with me and Rugvy. I uses to watch it in the pub until a guy pissed on my Adidas Gazelles in the jacks. He said it was "the aul heino" and "no hord feelings loike" but I just know it was a malicious act of class warfare so I've never set foot in a pub again and am currently in counselling.

Riiiiiight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Basically it's ridiculous that you are using the opinions of someone you met after a game in a pub to stop you from going to games themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Fúck that. I would have made the cnut clean them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

First off dont tar every bohs fan or LOI fan with the same brush. secondly i find it hard to believe that one person who was prob taking the piss anyway would turn you off a whole league..get over it not everyone is like that and i find its just another typical excuse to stop going the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

A bit precious aren't we.

Think you should widen the statistical sample there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well, aren't you the sensitive little thing?? FFS, don't judge the whole league or the fans on one lad's attitude. BTW i have never heard the term 'barstooler' used in actual conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Hahahaha, you poor petal

BTW i have never heard the term 'barstooler' used in actual conversation.

Gazebo-er and bench-er seem to gaining a worrying currency in my suburban local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The gas thing is, you'd probably get the same in Newcastle. They'd wonder what an 'OOTer' is doing there and tell you to support a local team. I've heard it plenty of times in Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The gas thing is, you'd probably get the same in Newcastle. They'd wonder what an 'OOTer' is doing there and tell you to support a local team. I've heard it plenty of times in Liverpool.

Isnt this lad the Newcastle fan who has never been to a football game in Newcastle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think we should have a 350 team Premier Division so nobody is more than a five minute walk to their nearest LoI team and so everyone has a local team to support.

Entry should also be free and all grounds must have a minimum of 50,000 seats.

And there should be a rule like in English County Cricket where each team is allowed bring in one star foreign player for a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I've got some mates from Sligo, so I go to a few Rovers games a year, I have a good time, cheer on the team and sometimes the football is decent.

But, I only started going to LOI games regularly in my 20's, It's hard to connect to a team at this stage in my life, I have fond memories of going to Manchester when I was a kid, watching games with my father, so I'll always have a preference for United and the EPL.

Same with me and Rugvy. I uses to watch it in the pub until a guy pissed on my Adidas Gazelles in the jacks.

Ffs, wearing foreign made runners. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement