Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Exchange for BBL

Options
  • 19-01-2011 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hey,
    I am currently a sixth-year student aspiring to do BBL next september. If you get to do the international exchange in stage 3, do you spend stage 3 abroad or do you have to do another semester? Also, If you go abroad, how good are the language skills you get, in comparsion to the language skills you would get from doing bcomm international (french)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

There's two study abroad options in B&L: European and International. European is done in your third year and then you come back and finish in fourth year as normal. International is done in your fourth year so you still have to come back and finish your final year which makes it a five-year degree.

As regards the language skills, it is possible to attain parity if not surpass the BCIT students, it all depends on how much you make of the opportunity while you're over there. It's 9 months (possibly more) in that particular country, but you can get by speaking the language very little if you want to, any major improvements will come from you taking the initiative to go that bit further.

Either way, no matter which you choose it's a wonderful opportunity which I would say even if you're only half thinking of doing it, do it! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

Thanks mate for clearing things up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blaze2881

LUPE wrote: »
    There's two study abroad options in B&L: European and International. European is done in your third year and then you come back and finish in fourth year as normal. International is done in your fourth year so you still have to come back and finish your final year which makes it a five-year degree.

Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) this is not the case anymore. Due to budget restrictions i.e the government not being willing to pay for an extra year of the course the international exchange is now integrated into the course. This means that you go away in your third year , then come back to complete your final fourth year . As a result of this the choice of international exchange places has been severely restricted due to the amount of universities that can accommodate the completion of both the required business and law modules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

awh what since when??? where is this written officially? i think i may actually prefer it that way though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blaze2881

Couldn’t tell you where it is written but that’s how they have done it this year, and the reasoning given for it . The only international places that were available were Sydney and Brisbane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

The above info is untrue. Dont mind blaze! European exchanges replace a year of B&L, International exchanges add a year on. I was in Singapore last year, and know the person there this year; among other places

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

elgriff wrote: »
    The above info is untrue. Dont mind blaze! European exchanges replace a year of B&L, International exchanges add a year on. I was in Singapore last year, and know the person there this year; among other places

It's changed for this year. Blaze is right.

Advertisement