Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched from eircom to UPC

• 19-01-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

So got my UPC wireless modem in the post today. Hooked it all up as the instruction say to. Running an ethernet cable from the modem to the pc as it's not wireless. All the correct lights are on at the front of the modem (Power, DS, US and Online). It will not acquire a network address. I searched for connections on my phone and the modem showed up once, but not anymore, it wouldn't connect though either that one time it did show up.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

I assume I can use this modem even though my pc doesn't have wireless function, I wanted it as we have a laptop here aswell that is. Plus my N900.

Help much appreciated, I knew this would get frustrating.

Comments

Try resetting the modem?

Did you ring them?

Sounds like a problem with the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

i think u have to ring them to activate it?

what model modem did u get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Cisco EPC 2425

Haven't rang them yet, they're shut since 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got upc just before xmas, I had the same problem,but only two lights on the modem. They came out and it turned out that even though the new cable was laid on the wall outside,it wasn't connected. Didn't take them long to sort it out, I had wanted to go wireless, but with the dongle I got from their engineer I was only getting 10mg on a 30 mg connection. Using the cable I get the 30mg.
    Herself on the laptop downstairs can get 17/18 mg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i dunno why upc wont ditch those god awful cisco routers and just start issuing the thomson routers instead.

to those thinking of getting a upc connection make sure u ask for the Thomson Router its way better then the cisco router is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I already have a tv signal coming in to that point. I dont have a splitter yet though so I just took out the cable to the tv and put the cable to the modem in. Surely it doesn't require the tv box to be receiving a signal to work does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

podge018 wrote: »
    (Power, DS, US and Online)

All the lights are on, so it's not a connection issue. Sounds to me like either your PC network card, or the modem.

If you have a laptop, connect it to the modem with the Ethernet cable. Make sure the network card is set to acquire an IP address automatically. If it doesn't acquire the connection, then it may well be a dodgy modem.

Advertisement