Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels' views on tongue piercings?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get my tongue pierced in the next month or so. I have to do a work placement in a hotel over the summer as part of my college course and I'm just wondering what most places views on tongue piercings are? I read you can't take it out for more than an hour or so in the first six months and I don't want it to close up 'cause it'll be a waste of money. I'm guessing facial piercings aren't allowed since I've never seen anyone working in a hotel with any but I'm planning to get my tongue pierced further back than most people do so it won't be that visible. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also I know you can get clear plastic bars to make labret piercings less visible, is there anything for tongue piercings? Has anyone used these in a work place without any trouble?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm not speaking firsthand but they'll hardly see it. I mean my cousin has his tongue pierced and the only way I'd cop it is because he has a big silver ball at the end.

I'm sure if you put in something like this it'd go unnoticed.

bodypiercingretainers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It can depend on which jewellery you use. Make sure it's fully healed before you change it. Get yourself some clear balls or a retainer as pictured above and it'll be virtually invisible. Also I find clear red balls work well too if you want to try those. I generally have multi-coloured or metal balls on mine so it's noticeable but only if I open my mouth wide or yawn. Not so much just talking generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I know this isn't that helpful in you current situation but for future reference...

I had my tongue done at 18, at 1.6mm. Over the next two years I stretched to 5mm. I then took it out. now, I put jewellery in when I am going out... I never have to wear anything unless I feel like it (at 1.6mm...) It is ideal - little risk to teeth and gums, no job worries. grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

actually, now that I am thinking about it, the same is true of my nose, septum, rim, lobe and lip web piercings. its mad handy - as I am not into wearing all my piercings at once....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Thanks for your help. I'll keep that in mind bodice_ripper. Although if my tongue is anything like my lobs it won't take well to stretching. :p

Does it alter speech much while it's healing? I have to work in the training restaraunt once a week and I don't think I'd be very popular if the customers couldn't understand me. =P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Does it alter speech much while it's healing? I have to work in the training restaraunt once a week and I don't think I'd be very popular if the customers couldn't understand me. =P

I have my tongue done ten years, and I never had any issues with speech or work policies around no piercings, and I've worked in loads of different places, including restaurants. It's not that visible when talking to people and if it's done correctly, there should be very little slurring/ speech difficulties afterwards. It just takes a few days to get used to chewing with it, but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd give it a week for you to be talking and eating like normal. It's moreso the swelling that affects your speech when you get it done but after that it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I'd give it a week for you to be talking and eating like normal. It's moreso the swelling that affects your speech when you get it done but after that it's fine.

Yeah was thinking I would get it a week before my food service class to allow for swelling to go down. Thanks everyone for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Just my two cents,but I have been working in the same hotel for the last three years, I got my tongue pierced about two years ago, I had slight swelling but nothing major. My employers hadn't approached my on my piercings until I got a dermal in my wrist and my lip pierced!I got my conch done last week I haven't been at work since I don't think they will be impressed! But as I say until I got the rest of my piercings they never noticed my tongue!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

they also make for great kissing and do not worry about your speech in the hotel as i never understand anyone in the hotels nowadays

• Advertisement
Advertisement