Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for 50cc Moped

• 19-01-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I am about to purchase a 50CC moped/scooter, have a full licence, 15 yrs no claim, and am 37, living in Dublin.

I googled the net but can only find Carole Nash to insure a moped in Ireland.

Does anyone have an idea where to go with this, or does anyone know how much insurance and tax will be for me?

Thanking you in advance.
    Ronald

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You don't have 15 years no claims, max is 4 or something.

Full licence of what class?

Aon, Quinn Direct, Carole Nash and Adelaide do bike insurance in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I havent claimed anything for 15 yrs, max no claim I have now is 9 yrs. Doesnt matter, I have the max no claim.

I have a full Irish licence B,C,E,W for 15 years, 1 penalty point.

Just found the tax, 43 euros annually.

I will check with the companies you just listed.

Thanks.

You don't have A, A1 or M so you're basically a new rider as far as I can tell.

Only thing in your favour in your age.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You don't have A, A1 or M so you're basically a new rider as far as I can tell.

No way? Alright, let me check what is required to drive a moped. I might be able to do a quick theory exam and get me a M certification.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Poncke wrote: »
    No way? Alright, let me check what is required to drive a moped. I might be able to do a quick theory exam and get me a M certification.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

You can ride a moped that is 49cc or less, and does not exceed 45km/h on your car licence.

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    You can ride a moped that is 49cc or less, and does not exceed 45km/h on your car licence.

Thanks, I think the moped is 50CC, but I need to check that then. Almost booked me a theory test there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Poncke wrote: »
    Thanks, I think the moped is 50CC, but I need to check that then. Almost booked me a theory test there.

Have a look here:

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/For-Motorcyclists/New-Regulations/

If I remember correctly, you are entitled to a M licence if you have a B licence - but I could be wrong.

Thanks P.C.

Your link helped me find the answer, but on another location.

I found this: http://www.msa-ireland.com/licenses.htm
    The ‘M’ Learner Permit is strictly for mopeds, or engine-assisted bicycles, under 50cc with a top speed of below 45kmp /28mph and is available from 16. The holders of a full ‘B’ licence, with additional insurance, can also drive mopeds.

I sorted the tax, so all I need to do is sort the insurance.

Good stuff.

Ah, I thought they had done away with B licence holders being allowed on mopeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You may as well do the theory test anyway because a 49cc will be able to do 80km/hr, you'll be killing yourself going around at 45!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I just insured a moped (aged rider with full license, nut no NCB) best I could was Carlole Nash €230 TPO... I could have had TPFT for another €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Ah, I thought they had done away with B licence holders being allowed on mopeds.

Any B licence issued before Oct 2006 has the M entitlement on it, any issued after that date can't ride Mopeds
    Simona1986 wrote: »
    You may as well do the theory test anyway because a 49cc will be able to do 80km/hr, you'll be killing yourself going around at 45!

If they are going to the trouble of a theory test they may as well get the A licence to future proof themselves, but they will need IBT to ride anything other then a Moped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Del2005 wrote: »
    Any B licence issued before Oct 2006 has the M entitlement on it, any issued after that date can't ride Mopeds

If they are going to the trouble of a theory test they may as well get the A licence to future proof themselves, but they will need IBT to ride anything other then a Moped.
    Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Do you have a car if so who is it insured with? If car with AXA they insure bikes as well at good rates- think you have to have car insured first though.

Advertisement