Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for skilled migration visa while in aus?

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi all,
    hoping for some advice. have been a long time lurker here.
    myself and other half thinking (read: decided) to bite the bullet and head to oz.
    we are both under 30, so thinking of getting the WHV, and if we like it, doing the regional work, and hopefully get a 2nd yr WHV.
    we have been making a few enquiries about visas etc, and we were looking into poss of getting a skilled migration visa instead. The guy from usit said that i have to be outside Australia when i make this application, however, in talking to a few others, they have said that in fact, we can be in oz when (and if) we make this application, so I’m just wondering if anyone knows what the position actually is?
    also is it better to go on a skilled visa from a jobs perspective?
    thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Guy from Usit is talking Sh*te, you can apply from anywhere. But you would have to be offshore for it to be granted ie. New Zealand for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

The Australia immigration website is really good. A skilled migrant visa is very pricy tho!! Around $5-6000 and I think it can take quite a while. But ya you can apply for it from Oz they have it all laid out on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

thanks guys, i appreciate your help.
    I’ll have a look on oz site (I was on already re WHV) think a WHV is way to go, as 1. Pirce of skilled visa (I hadn’t realised it was so expensive) and 2. Fairly easy to obtain.
    Cant believe the guy in usit gave me misinformation?!
    Initially, we were going to get visa through usit, but it seems (fingers crossed) ok to get ourselves.
    Getting new passports sorted this week, and hopefully visa application next week!!
    Thinking about going in start of July! exciting and scary thoughts!

You can do the skilled visa yourself without the use of an agent, visa application cost is only $2575.

Plus

$300 for skills assessment.
    $250 for X-Ray & Meds.
    $120 for Police Certs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mandrake04 wrote: »
    $120 for Police Certs
    ?? It was $50 for the Australian one, and Irish one is free

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    ?? It was $50 for the Australian one, and Irish one is free

Didn't know that!!

I needed an Aus & UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

My UK police cert cost me £10, had to ring police hq in my home town, and then send a printed form with a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

would you favour going for the skilled migration visa over the WHV though??
    Realisticlly, what are the time lags between application and the granting of a skilled visa? i read it would be up to 2 years?? and even then it could be denied?

My UK police cert cost me £10, had to ring police hq in my home town, and then send a printed form with a tenner.

its not that now

you can only use ACRO and its at least £35

UNITED KINGDOM
    Police certificates are issued by The Association of
    Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and cover applicants
    who have lived or currently reside in England, Wales,
    Scotland, the Channel Islands (Guernsey & Jersey),
    the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland.

Relevant document – ACPO Police Certificate.
    Apply Application forms and guidance on how to
    apply for the police certificates for residents and nonresidents can be located online at www.acpo.police.uk
    otherwise contact ACPO directly:
    Phone 0845 601 3999
    Email acro.policecertificates@acro.pnn.police.uk
    Forms obtainable online or by contacting ACPO.
    Fee payable

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

lstars wrote: »
    would you favour going for the skilled migration visa over the WHV though??
    Realisticlly, what are the time lags between application and the granting of a skilled visa? i read it would be up to 2 years?? and even then it could be denied?
    WHV - 24-72shrs
    Skilled - 3-24months depending on skills

• Advertisement
Advertisement