Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large slider

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

This is proving difficult, I need to get a large slider for an extension. We hope to install a very large window in our kitchen which will contain 4 panels each approx 2.3 metres wide and 2.9 metres high . There will be 3 panels along the back wall and 1 returning at the side. Only 1 panel will slide. (the middle of the back 3) Any suggestions, alu-clad or aluminium.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

tweeky wrote: »
    This is proving difficult, I need to get a large slider for an extension. We hope to install a very large window in our kitchen which will contain 4 panels each approx 2.3 metres wide and 2.9 metres high . There will be 3 panels along the back wall and 1 returning at the side. Only 1 panel will slide. (the middle of the back 3) Any suggestions, alu-clad or aluminium.

I don't know if this is true or just trying to get out of a difficult job, but I was told by a national company that 3m (by 1.5m, I think, can't remember) was maximum for a fixed panel and that the sliding door would be less.

In the end our conservatory worked out with a 2.4 x 2.4m sliding door from a local company with no mention of problems.

Your best bet would be to contact the major glass manufacturers like Carey (I think) and get the maximum tolerances from them before contacting glazers. If they say maximum length is X, and manufacturer told you Y then you can call bullcrap.

We were also put off a sliding door for the back section of the house due to the exposed area we are in. Conservatory was sheltered. Have you considered bi-fold?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 2sounds

futurefold do some large sliders (ive no connection to the company)
    also produkt do the same , of the two produkt are by far more expensive but they can do 3glazing on the sliding spans with uvalues as low as 0.8. Future fold can only do 2glazing with uvalues of 2.0 due to weight restrictions. Im currently looking for something similar, 4 across the back 2 returing to the side of our sunroom. Weve built steel into the frame of the sunrrom so we can have a postless corner, 2 sliding back at the back and one on the side. Now trying to source abroad to save a few squids but proving difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

PM sent

I have an opening 3.8 * 2.4. We went with a slider for this, so 1 fixed panel and 1 sliding.
    2.4m was max height, but there was no (reasonable) limit on the width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭uptowngirly

Any chance of a PM too Wolfhound??! :D

My drawings have a massive sliding door at the back of the house - we were advised by the architect to go for Produkt but haven't got any prices as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Thanks for all your input, just found out that Senator commercial in Wexford do the same sliding system as i believe ProduKt do and do up to a 3m x 3m slider. Seeing it tomorrow, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

Any chance of a PM too Wolfhound??! :D

My drawings have a massive sliding door at the back of the house - we were advised by the architect to go for Produkt but haven't got any prices as of yet.

PM Sent

Advertisement