Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Minister for Justice

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Well, we don't know who it'll be, but Dermot Ahern just resigned...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

They're like rats of a sinking ship at this rate - Harney's gone too - she wasn't much help to her department either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Sparks wrote: »

hopefully his replacement will be more pro shooting sports.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

LB6 wrote: »
    They're like rats of a sinking ship at this rate - Harney's gone too - she wasn't much help to her department either.
    And Dempsey and Kileen as well.
    But it's not a mass resignation. It's a continuation of Cowen's confidence motion from the other day - they're now demonstrating the depth of their confidence in him by letting him run everything :D

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    hopefully his replacement will be more pro shooting sports.....
    Well, his replacement would be in office for at most two months before the General Election - assuming, that is, that Cowen doesn't take the hint and just call it a day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Are you kiddin' me - that would be too much like common sense!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Well, his replacement would be in office for at most two months before the General Election - assuming, that is, that Cowen doesn't take the hint and just call it a day...

He is getting his Hip replaced so that's why he resigned.

The Taoiseachs office will take the role for the next few weeks and status quo....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Didn't Ahern go weeks ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

In all fairness I cant think of any minister out there who will do us any favours. Our sport will always be used as a whipping boy to keep the masses appeased.

He is getting his Hip replaced so that's why he resigned.
    I'm somewhat skeptical of that :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Taoiseachs office will take the role for the next few weeks and status quo....

................. and transport, foreign affairs, health, etc, etc. :rolleyes:
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Didn't Ahern go weeks ago?!

He made a statment saying he would not contest the next election (as did a few others). Funny how they hung on enough to see Cowen survive the motion last night.
    I'm somewhat skeptical of that :D

You're not on your own.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ABSOLUTLY no loss.Good riddance and bad luck to him !:mad:
    So he slithers off with 300k PA of our money,leaving a big brown steaming mess for us to shovel out.As well as making Ireland the darling of the nuttier Muslim countries with our exellent blasphemy law[for them that is!!].

As for the rest of the "soilders of destiny" now deserting their posts.

The Germans had an expression for it in the last war in Berlin at the end.. Flug der gold fasanen .Flight of the Golden pheasents [A nickname the Berliners gave high ranking NSDAP leaders and shakers,because of all the gold on their uniforms].When the Russkies were knocking on the door for a bit of a word about things in general.

So the FF golden pheasents are finally taking flight.They have no gold to their names or their party.Just our gold in their pensions and handshakes.:mad:
    Hopefully we will do the same to them[figurativly speaking of course, although I dont think very many would mind the practical application of it too.] As what the Allies did to them in 1948 in Nurenburg.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Some back bencher maybe, doubt it will make much of a difference. Plenty of time to start worrying after the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

too little too late , the damage is long since done and can be seen in the court appeals calamity the length and breath of the country. who are the 14% in the polls who say they'd vote for ff again ? the irish union of village idiots or who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

rowa wrote: »
    who are the 14% in the polls who say they'd vote for ff again ? the irish union of village idiots or who ?

It's the "FF are useless, but Pat down the road is a grand chap" factor.

Don't think the next Minister for Justice matters a whole lot, he's not going to get the opportunity to do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

He is getting his Hip replaced so that's why he resigned....

I heard that he was getting a heart fitted to his pacemaker but the heart rejected him. :D

Don't think the next Minister for Justice matters a whole lot, he's not going to get the opportunity to do much.
    Pretty much. From our point of view, almost all of the changes we want to see require a new Act; and there's (a) no time to draw one up, no matter how much the new guy wants to, and (b) there's already a list of the legislation the government is going to deal with before a general election is called, and there's no Act from the Minister for Justice on that list, so (s)he'd have no opportunity to put one forward.

The only change they'd have time to do is to change an SI, like the one that defines the restricted list; that could see centerfire pistols brought back in, but it's not very likely that they'd do that just before an election where they're desperate to be seen as competent (and overturning a major policy of your immediate predecessor who's out the door less than a month, and who everyone knows you're following in less than a month isn't going to make you look competent). At best you might hope to lobby this new Minister on the grounds that there's an election coming and he's desperate for any votes at all to keep his seat as a TD (let alone as Minister), and that shouldn't be underestimated; but I think this time, they might actually have taken the hint that we don't really want them around anymore, and that resignation to the inevitable takes the edge off their desperation.

I think the new Minister is basicly going to be a caretaker for a few weeks and that any real changes we're looking for will be coming off the real new Minister after the general election, if I'm honest.

And the new Minister for Justice is....
    Minister Brendan Smith (late of the Agriculture department).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

And the new Minister for Justice is....
    Minister Brendan Smith (late of the Agriculture department).

Oh wonderful..............

Not I have to put up with that muppet in Farming as well as Shooting. Just wonderful :mad:

It's only for a few weeks though John, the General Election was announced just now for March 11 :D

And to correct a whoopsie, they didn't move Smith from Agriculture to Justice, they've given him Justice as well as Agriculture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It's only for a few weeks though John

Wash your mouth out with soap!

Those clowns can do a lot of damage from now to then. MORE SO the clowns that have the concentrated power now.

Should have gone to the Park today, but as I said in Politics they wouldn't.

• Advertisement

i'm glad we have seen the last of ahern (both of them) , he was a spiteful individual and i am told extremely ambitious wanting to run ff , he didn't achieve anything but the persecution of the law abiding shooting community and a unnecessary law on blasphemy , if he could have inconvienced the criminal classes as well as he inconvienced us he would have done well.
    who is favourite to get the post of minister of justice in the next fg/lab gov ? is it pat rabbitt ?

rowa wrote: »
    if he could have inconvienced the criminal classes as well as he inconvienced us he would have done well.
    And with Operation Anvil, he was inconviencing them quite effectively.
    Can't imagine why he'd then cut their budget in half...
    who is favourite to get the post of minister of justice in the next fg/lab gov ? is it pat rabbitt ?
    More likely to be Howlin if it goes to Labour or Flanagan if it goes to FG, I would have thought. But Rabbitte would want a senior ministry, and both Health and Finance are currently poisoned chalices, so he might go for Justice. At this point, who knows?

And with Operation Anvil, he was inconviencing them quite effectively.
    Can't imagine why he'd then cut their budget in half...

More likely to be Howlin if it goes to Labour or Flanagan if it goes to FG, I would have thought. But Rabbitte would want a senior ministry, and both Health and Finance are currently poisoned chalices, so he might go for Justice. At this point, who knows?

yes but the inconviencing of the criminals was temporary , ours is permanent and enshrined in law , as for their budget being cut in half , well the money for his lotto-esqe pension had to come from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

the money they need for Court Cases has to come from somewhere as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

no point in going on about the new justice minister now,only a few weeks left in power so nothing he can do.
    our only hope of real justice is in the new government,probably fg and their justice spokesman is alan shatter.
    I have already written to Michael noonan about our issues and he forwarded my mail to shatter.
    so maybe with a new minister and new party and also with the new garda chief we might have some chance,or maybe worse to come?
    its now,today we need to start contacting our shooting reps and candidates and get the ball rolling.

daveob007 wrote: »
    no point in going on about the new justice minister now,only a few weeks left in power so nothing he can do.
    our only hope of real justice is in the new government,probably fg and their justice spokesman is alan shatter.
    I have already written to Michael noonan about our issues and he forwarded my mail to shatter.
    so maybe with a new minister and new party and also with the new garda chief we might have some chance,or maybe worse to come?
    its now,today we need to start contacting our shooting reps and candidates and get the ball rolling.

but the new garda chief was appointed by bullet head and ff so thats not a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It's better to approach these things with a positive outlook.

We have a new Garda Commissioner - he has had positive dealings with the shooting NGBs in the past - we would hope that he will again in the future.

We will have a new Minister for Justice - hopefully he/she will have a more pragmatic approach to their portfolio and look to make a difference to the crime stats in this country.

Obviously the civil servants stay the same - the same people will be advising the Minister and the Commissioner - hopefully their advice will also be more focused on the problems of crime.

I see all this an an opportunity - change is a good thing - perhaps it will not make any difference but there is a chance - we had no chance with the last crop.

B'Man

And the new Minister for Justice is...

Alan Shatter

Just announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

And the new Minister for Justice is...

Alan Shatter

Just announced.

Jaubus we're all fecked, he hates guns!

• Advertisement

And our new Minister for Sport is Jimmy Deenihan.

Advertisement