Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Minister for Justice

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rosahane wrote: »
    Thanks Sparks, Having been a senior public servant for many years I am somewhat aware of the role of a Principal Officer :rolleyes:
    :D My bad. There are some who don't know that though. (You might actually lay it out for those who don't know in a bit more detail - it's not a part of life that many people see day-to-day).
    Also, I never said that I hated the guy, please do not publish your erreonous interpetation on my comments just because they do not agree with your perspective :mad:
    My bad for not being clear enough - it wasn't meant as an accusation against you personally. As you've said yourself though, there are those who do, and from what I can tell from their complaints, it's purely on the basis that he did the job he's paid to do.
    I questioned the source, accuracy and truth of some of the information that the former Minister (who, incidentally I do hate, for many reasons) spoke and acted upon. I can only speculate at the the motivation for this!
    First time we met the Department they were absolutely convinced you used 9mm pistols in the Olympics because someone had told them definitively that that was the case. The DoJ having bad information is a problem that's been there for years. It's gotten much better in recent years, but it's something you have to keep working at. There's so much to learn in our sports that you could be learning for twenty years and still not know everything.

From Irish Shooting Politics:
    April 28, 2011
    The new Justice Minister’s plans for Firearms

Shortly after Alan Shatter was appointed as the new Justice Minister, people were wondering was he in favour of private firearms ownership or against it because of his past history with the Irish Council Against Blood Sports, which saw him voting both in their interests (on hare coursing) and against their interests (on carted stag hunting). I thought it’d be more productive to ask him than to speculate, so I wrote and sent off this (both by email and by old-fashioned letter):
    Minister,
    Firstly congratulations on your appointment to your new position at the head of the Department of Justice, Equality and Defence. Those of us in the shooting community wish you the best in this office, and look forward to the years to come.

I have been an Olympic target shooter for many years, shooting air rifle, air pistol and smallbore rifle. I also help run http://targetshooting.boards.ie, which is the online discussion forum for target shooters in Ireland. Your appointment has been a much-discussed topic in even the short time since it was announced today. As such, I thought I would send you an email to ask if you could write a few brief words for the shooting community upon your appointment, because at present, the community (of some 200,000 people) has spent some three years feeling as though your predecessor had a personal grudge against the community and was biased in his drafting of legislation as a result.

Prior to the election, another of the targetshooting.boards.ie moderators met with Charles Flanagan on this topic, and was assured by Deputy Flanagan that following the election, if a Fine Gael TD was appointed to the role of Minister for Justice, he would undertake to:

* to meet with the shooting community (via the Firearms Consultation Panel) and discuss the finer points at length
    * to see the Firearms Consultation Panel made a permanent feature in any future legislation drafting.
    * to fully review the centerfire pistol ban.

He also stated that Fine Gael would, in principle, like to see the minor changes require to expand Olympic air rifle shooting brought into law.

As your principal officers within the department can explain at length, the Firearms Consultation Panel is a body created by Micheal McDowell in order to facilitate the implementation of the 2006 Criminal Justice Act (which re-wrote the vast majority of the Firearms Act). It is chaired by the Department of Justice with the Minister normally represented through the Principal Officer of the Firearms Section, Garrett Byrne (who has worked with community representatives in a highly productive manner in the last seven years, and who is highly regarded by all in the administrative side of the shooting sports who have worked with him). The various shooting bodies, An Garda Siochana, the Department of Sport, and other stakeholders are all represented on the Panel and it is widely held within the shooting community to have been the most successful endeavour ever undertaken by the Department to consult with the shooting community. We would strongly hope to see it established on a permanent basis, instead of as a temporary panel concerned only with the 2006 Act (and the changes brought in since, which have been added to the original remit). A meeting of the Panel attended by yourself would be a strong gesture to the community indicating that your office intends to consult with stakeholders when considering policy changes.

In January of this year, you presented a written question on firearms licencing to your predecessor (question 499 on 11/01/11). The question summed up the main concern of the shooting community at the time:
    Question 499: To ask the Minister for Justice and Law Reform the number of judicial reviews currently before the High Court arising out of a refusal to grant firearms licences; his plans to undertake a review of existing firearms legislation or to issue further guidance to the Garda Commissioner regarding the licensing of firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [48108/10]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)
    I can inform the Deputy that in the region of 175 judicial reviews have been lodged arising from refusals to grant firearms licences by designated persons within An Garda Síochána. As the matter is currently before the Courts, I cannot comment in any substantive way but I understand that a small number of representative test cases will be heard.
    As the Deputy will appreciate firearms licensing is an operational matter for An Garda Síochána. Each application is judged on its own merits and the decision on whether, or not, to grant a firearm certificate rests solely with the issuing person. The decision of the issuing person cannot be fettered in any way and I have no role in the matter. Finally, as of now, there are no plans to review the existing firearms legislation.

At the time, a serious problem was arising over the licencing of sporting pistols; since then, this problem has worsened and today nearly 200 cases are now before the courts. Despite your predecessors statement above, a resolution to the problem was within his aegis, and now lies within yours. If you were to amend the restricted firearms list to include all pistols covered by the International Olympic Council’s rules on suitable short firearms for use in competition, it would do away with the majority of these cases at a stroke of a pen (a statutory instrument would be all that would be required), and the resulting goodwill could easily be leveraged to find non-judicial resolution in the few remaining cases.

Lastly, there are some legislative changes which most of those in our community would feel are deeply necessary at the present time. For a start, a legal restatement of the Firearms Act has been badly needed (and recommended by the Law Reform Commission) for several years now – at present it consists of eight Firearms Acts, portions of several other Acts (such as the Wildlife Acts and at least one Road Traffic Act), two EU directives and over fifty Statutory Instruments, all of which must be read together to understand the current law. We estimate that there are no more than two dozen people in the state who truly understand the Firearms Acts as a whole, most of whom sit in the Firearms Consultation Panel meetings.

We would also strongly support legislative changes to harmonise our Firearms Act with those of our partners in the EU. For example, we are the only member state in the EU where Olympic airguns are considered legally firearms (to give a sense of the low power of these airguns, consider that paintball markers have more than twice the muzzle energy of an Olympic air rifle). As a result of this status in Ireland, one of the safest and most popular sports in the world, airgun shooting (which is as popular as soccer across half of Europe) is not as popular as smallbore or fullbore shooting here. Were we to change the 1 Joule muzzle energy limit in section one of the Firearms Act to 7.5 Joules, we would promote Olympic airgun shooting enormously; given that our Olympic Shotgun team has won the World Championships (in 2002) and one of the team won the individual World Championships again in 2010, we have proven we have a significant pool of talent for the shooting sports here, and if airgun shooting was less restrictive, we believe we could pursue and attain an Olympic medal in the sport within ten years.

While we realise that you have enormous demands on your time at present, it would make an enormous impact with the 200,000 people in the shooting community if you could make a general statement as to your feelings regarding our sport, no matter how brief; and while we also realise you must consult with your Department and be more fully briefed by them, if you could give a general statement in principle as to the points above, that would greatly excite our community and give them cause to hope for several years of a productive relationship with the Department and yourself.
    Yours in Sport,

At the time, I didn’t expect a rapid answer, and indeed it wasn’t rapid – the letter was sent on March 10 and the reply was drafted on April 20 and only received on April 27. As you can surmise from the letterhead modifications (click on the image to see the full letter), the department is undergoing some organisational changes. So while the answer I received was not encouraging, I don’t believe it is a final, unalterable roadmap for the next few years; and with that caveat in mind, it’s not the worst response we could have seen.

image2011-04-28-114157-2b.jpg
    Response from the Minister for Justice
    Still, it's not exactly the kind of response that would warm the cockles of your heart. But then, we weren't ever going to get that, I think. But given that we could fix the vast majority of our issues with one SI (maybe two at the most), one minor bit tucked away in the back end of some random bill somewhere, and that restatement that the Law Reform Commission have been calling for for years, it's not like we needed him to be a cheerleader for us right now or to be in the programme for government.

And at least we didn't get back some ICABS stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

So to sum up........

'I really do not know what to do cause I have not really looked into it. Plus with the cases pending before the courts which we are worried about im saying nothing till I see what happens..... Then when we know where we stand we will look at what to do then.'

With the DOJ and GS being ordered to disclose everything requested for the JR, which many thought they wouldnt have to do I hear there are a few nervous people all of a sudden.

Also heard there is a compo case being taken by a shooter (due the whole court process) for a substantial amount which has put the cat amongst the pigeons, anyone know if there is any truth to that rumour.

hk wrote: »
    Also heard there is a compo case being taken by a shooter (due the whole court process) for a substantial amount which has put the cat amongst the pigeons, anyone know if there is any truth to that rumour.
    I've heard that, but a well-known dealer was named, not a shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

hk wrote: »
    .........anyone know if there is any truth to that rumour.

And on such molehills ........ are great stinking piles built.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Bananaman wrote: »
    In this case it's a four million euro molehill based on the McVeigh case (where the supreme court found the Minister had acted illegally in refusing import licences) if the reports I've heard are correct. When there's a supreme court case precedent like that behind it, it's a bit more credible than "I heard it from a guy in the pub"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks,

Just a few things that come to mind..........................

I assume you wrote to him as an individual?

Why did you assume you speak for other shooters when you advised him that a lot of shooters are happy with the FCP? I am undecided and I know many others openly aren't convinced of it's merits and I would hazzard a guess that most of the 200,000 shooters you refer to don't even know it exists.

The reply states that before he does anything he will consult with the Commisssioner, which in my opinion, after the previous Minister consulted with the previous Commissioner, is the reason we as shooters are being persecuted ! I know we have a new Commissioner but I can't see the current one being more open to firearms than the previous one.

The request to change the legislation to allow an upper limit of 7.5 joules for airguns to allow for "Olympic shooting", strange to hear you use this term after some of previous discussions here, would be a good thing as it would allow youngsters easier access to supervised use of firearms. How much is 7.5 joules in FT LBS? The UK limit is 12 FT LBS which I reckon would be better for the whole shooting community as rifles of this power could be used for hunting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

B'Man

Dont worry I rarely believe rumors let alone spread them, I usually have a very good source before I consider rebroadcasting it and it seems that from what sparks is saying my info wasnt far off the mark. I knew my source would know its happening but knew the details overall may be a bit sketchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Why did you assume you speak for other shooters when you advised him that a lot of shooters are happy with the FCP? I am undecided and I know many others openly aren't convinced of it's merits and I would hazzard a guess that most of the 200,000 shooters you refer to don't even know it exists.

Well, Shatter's basically said he's going to scrap it, so what are you complaining about?

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    .....................so what are you complaining about?

:rolleyes: Are you really telling me you don't understand what I wrote?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Do you mean an upper limit for airarms of 7.5 joules held without licence like the airsofts currently are ?

rowa wrote: »
    Do you mean an upper limit for airarms of 7.5 joules held without licence like the airsofts currently are ?

I believe that is the proposal ;)

Airsoft limit is 1 joule afaik

Hey bunny,
    Some good points to talk about in there, but just before we do, could I ask you to answer one quick question?

What was in the letter you wrote to the Minister?

I believe that is the proposal ;)

Airsoft limit is 1 joule afaik

Best of irish with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

No need for mickey measuring.

Fair dues to you for writing in to the Minister - many others probably have but wont re-broadcast them as they were for the Minister.

I understand the questions above - it's not that long ago that you were leading the charge of the light mod brigade against others because of proposals that were put to the minister back in the mists of time.

You have made a lot of claims in your letter that are not actually correct e.g. targetshooting.boards is THE online discussion forum for target shooting in Ireland - not true - it is just one of many - take ************, benchrestdirectory, thehighroad, etc., etc.

Altering the licensing laws on air rifles and air pistols would increase participation with them - actually - cannot say if that is true or not - but I doubt it - achieving a license is hardly an impediment to taking part - unless you are referring to those under 14 - you have often said here that the majority of participants use club guns anyway so licensing is not an issue for them - I dunno what the numbers are like in air rifle and air pistol shooting so dunno how many people constitute an increase in participation.

I get the point of removing the restriction though - treat them the same as airsoft.

Grass roots shooters are not happy with the FCP - there has been much comment on here on that very matter - those in it think it is great - obviously because they are in it - but the fact that they think all is rosy just shows how separated they are from the grass roots - I know you are their main cheerleader and will kick up your skirts every time someone points out its foibles but that does not make it any less correct.

But - like I said - fair dues for writing in.

B'Man

Sparks wrote: »
    Hey bunny,
    Some good points to talk about in there,

I await you're reply ;)
    but just before we do, could I ask you to answer one quick question?

No bother, I'll stand over what I've written :)
    What was in the letter you wrote to the Minister?

I haven't written to the current Minister BUT I have written to a previous one and tbh it did me more harm than good in the end I reckon. Sometimes it doesn't pay to ask questions :eek:

I reckon individuals and/or associations writing to the Minister with their own version of Utopia causes everyone else problems ............ the list of photos of pistols which looks like it is now incorportated in the Commissioners Guidelines, the submission from NASRPC on pistols and the fact that my Super has latched on the compulsory competition element for target shooting and that range membership & attendence is not sufficient. And recently I've heard that a Super who was previously issuing moderators has just stopped issuing them. Incidentilly afaik "public safety" is being given as the reason for refusal. Sounds familiar. I wonder if members of the deer shooting communities recent letters to the national press explaining that most poachers are using lamps and moderators has had an adverse effect on legitimate shooters.........................................................but then again surely the DOJ wouldn't use what we tell them against us :rolleyes:

While I agree the FCP may have done some sterling work like the FPU, which I think is the best thing to come out of this mess, it has no real "power" it's just there for show IMVHO.

I understand the questions above - it's not that long ago that you were leading the charge of the light mod brigade against others because of proposals that were put to the minister back in the mists of time.
    Yup, and when you can point out the place where I said that we should destroy an entire sector of the shooting sports, put licencing under the control of an unelected group of people who would then have a massive commercial monopoly on mandatory courses and the like, who'd have no oversight or transparency, to whom there could be no appeals process (or in fact, any real aspect of due process or natural justice), well then you might have a point.

You have made a lot of claims in your letter that are not actually correct
    That's not true. For example:
    targetshooting.boards is THE online discussion forum for target shooting in Ireland - not true
    Actually it is. There are some boards that deal with niche interests that do well like VCRAI.com. There are some that deal with club-level matters (I think rathdrum runs one). And there are some that tried to do what boards.ie does and, well, maybe in ten years they'll have as many members as we get reading here in one day (and that's if you don't count the several commercially-backed ones -- which were set up so that any forum like this one would be in effect censored by whomever paid the bills without any kind of rules or fair play -- that just failed and have since been taken off the web). But right now, this is it lads, this is the only real place we've got for shooting and hunting in general. Unless you want to point to forums like the high road, which are not Irish in nature or in location or in population. And that's, well, daft, because they don't cover shooting in Ireland.
    Altering the licensing laws on air rifles and air pistols would increase participation with them - actually - cannot say if that is true or not - but I doubt it
    Which is odd, given that the entire UK and almost all of continental Europe is an actual experiment in that which shows it would. You want to get into the shooting sports right now, you need a licence or you can do airsoft. Airsoft has exploded in popularity as a result - completely off the charts in terms of the number of people and businesses involved already and the numbers coming in.
    You increase that muzzle energy limit to 7.5J and we will see every pony club shooter being bought their own kit by their parents (Pony club, remember? More than enough money to do so and they're having to stop the parents buying the kit already and requiring them to use club kit because licencing is such a hassle). And that's a lot of people right there, and they're already in the sport. So that's a shot in the arm for the dealers, who could use it at this point. Plus, with the kit now no longer a firearm, the ranges no longer fall under the ranges SI as they're no longer firearms ranges, and now we can set up clubs anywhere that's safe to shoot in without the €2,000 bill for the licences, without the €10,000+ for the range building up to the spec in the SI, without any of the fun and games that comes with that. Make it easier to open ranges, and you get more ranges open. That'e why you see far more clay pigeon ranges than you do rifle ranges. And now you can do corporate shooting the way clay pigeon and archery do, so ranges can try to ease costs commercially the way places like Courtlough and Hilltop do (and that's a good thing).

And now look at how shooting works in most other countries. When kids start in the sport, they almost always start on airguns of some kind or another (here and the US are about the only places I can think of where they start on .22lr instead). If you can get lots of kids trying this, if you can get new people into this without all the legal hassle we have now, then two things happen:
    1) We get healthier collectively. More people shooting, more people trying other kinds of shooting, more intake to non-airgun clubs goes up, and we're all better off;
    2) Everyone knows what we are. Right now, they don't. Right now, if the Commissioner says "public safety", the public don't know if it's horse hockey or not, and they go with it. If half the public has an airgun at home or has used one or seen one, that's less likely to happen.
    achieving a license is hardly an impediment to taking part
    Yes, it is. If you're a total newbie, never picked up a firearm in your life, that first step's a real doozy. Even in college clubs, where they don't need licences, where everything's laid on for them, getting them to take that single first step is a struggle. After that, once they try it, it gets far easier to keep them going. But that first step is a hurdle and if you need a licence for it, it's one that few get over. And when they graduate and hit the licence hurdle, we lose over 90% of them.
    Spend a decade or two working with hundreds of newbies a year B'man, you'll learn the same thing.
    I dunno what the numbers are like in air rifle and air pistol shooting so dunno how many people constitute an increase in participation.
    In total, in an average year, between NTSA and Pony Club, you're looking at several hundred (as in, more than a thousand - the NTSA would have about 500 between the three clubs, the pony club make up the rest). Only a small fraction of those go for competition, most are happy just plinking, or in the Pony Club's case don't make the cut for matches.
    Grass roots shooters are not happy with the FCP
    I've yet to meet a shooter who both knows what the FCP is and does and who isn't happy with it.
    I've met lots who don't know what it is or does, or who've been deliberately lied to about what it is and does by people who've an ulterior motive for doing so, and those shooters have not been happy with it, but when they learn the actual truth, I've noticed that by and large they tend to change their mind. As with most things that get lied about in our sport.

I haven't written to the current Minister
    Grand so. I just wanted to be clear, this wasn't me gazumping something you were doing, it's just you complaining about something someone else did while you didn't do anything.
    I reckon individuals and/or associations writing to the Minister with their own version of Utopia causes everyone else problems
    It has...
    ...but then again, the list I sent in had already gone in to FG from elsewhere via Charlie Flanagan before the election and was up here and public over a month ago. And nothing I wrote said we needed to damage any part of the shooting sports.
    my Super has latched on the compulsory competition element for target shooting
    No such thing in law - and that's come up before, the first time being about four seconds after the whole "competency" question came up a few years back. That's why it's competency and not proficiency in the law. Have you had a word with the nearest FCP rep to hand or called the FPU yourself?
    Incidentilly afaik "public safety" is being given as the reason for refusal. Sounds familiar.
    It would, they've been citing that since long before I started shooting.
    I wonder if members of the deer shooting communities recent letters to the national press explaining that most poachers are using lamps and moderators has had an adverse effect on legitimate shooters.........................................................but then again surely the DOJ wouldn't use what we tell them against us :rolleyes:
    I've highlighted the problem there for you bunny. You'll note it's (surprisingly) not the DoJ. I'd have highlighted the word Minister there as well, but you omitted it...
    While I agree the FCP may have done some sterling work like the FPU, which I think is the best thing to come out of this mess, it has no real "power" it's just there for show IMVHO.
    You're half-right. The FCP has no "real power" in that it can't veto a minister or draft a law. The clue is in the name - Firearms Consultative Panel. They consult, they do not dictate.

Now, if you have some idea that'd work that would let us veto a Minister, let's be having it.

Otherwise, you're just complaining about stuff the rest of us pointed out in 2005. (Seriously, 2005. You want the link?) edit: scratch that, it was 2007, not 2005. My bad)

Truth is, once you accept it for what it is instead of what someone dreamt it should be able to do (a dream devoid of the concepts of democratic process by the way), and once you compare it to what we had before this point, you'll realise that it's worth a damn sight more than anyone has give it credit for. Even leaving aside the daft legislation it's saved us from (do you need to cite your dentist on your FCA1 form?), there's the point that the FCP is the first time the NGBs came together and worked together properly (or as well as they could, at any rate).

And remember - in five years, if the FCP goes away now, you'll be the one complaining that we need the FCP back.

Now, those original points:

I assume you wrote to him as an individual?
    Yes, of course.
    Why did you assume you speak for other shooters
    I don't. I'm reporting what I'm seeing.
    The reply states that before he does anything he will consult with the Commisssioner, which in my opinion, after the previous Minister consulted with the previous Commissioner, is the reason we as shooters are being persecuted ! I know we have a new Commissioner but I can't see the current one being more open to firearms than the previous one.
    As I said in the original post, it's not the best answer in the world. But compared to what some of us expected (given his past history with ICABS), it's a damn sight better than it could have been. It's noncommittal - not a win, not a loss.
    The request to change the legislation to allow an upper limit of 7.5 joules for airguns to allow for "Olympic shooting", strange to hear you use this term after some of previous discussions here
    Not really - with 2012 only next year, the Olympics has a lot of clout at the moment. Only an idiot doesn't use the tools to hand if they're fit for purpose.
    , would be a good thing as it would allow youngsters easier access to supervised use of firearms. How much is 7.5 joules in FT LBS?
    a bit more than 6 fl.lb
    The UK limit is 12 FT LBS which I reckon would be better for the whole shooting community as rifles of this power could be used for hunting too.
    If we could get 12 ft lbs, that'd be brilliant. Hunting wouldn't be the lead argument for that though - paintball would. (Paintball markers are 12 ft lb or so). The issue's not a technical one - it's just politics. Say "Olympic" or "paintball" to someone who's never seen a firearm before and they see a safe, harmless sport. Say "hunting airgun" and they don't. 7.5J's a limit across most of the EU. Get in the room and talk to the PTB about 7.5J. At that point, if they'll go for 12ftlb, go for that. But if you go in looking for everything based on the ideal that we should have anything we want, well, you know how that'll go.

Grand so. I just wanted to be clear, this wasn't me gazumping something you were doing, it's just you complaining about something someone else did while you didn't do anything.

OK so :rolleyes: you can have the last word on that one :p
    No such thing in law - and that's come up before, the first time being about four seconds after the whole "competency" question came up a few years back. That's why it's competency and not proficiency in the law. Have you had a word with the nearest FCP rep to hand or called the FPU yourself?

However, a Super/Chief Super can now put ANY conditions they want on a licence. What's to stop them making this a condition? And to answer you're question an FCP Rep. intervened and it was sorted, but you already know that, I reckon ;)
    It would, they've been citing that since long before I started shooting.

And it will take a court case to resolve why I can have a rifle without danger to public safety but not a moderator. Pity they're not used in "Olympic shooting :D
    I've highlighted the problem there for you bunny. You'll note it's (surprisingly) not the DoJ. I'd have highlighted the word Minister there as well, but you omitted it....

Of course, DOJ don't read national papers ;)
    You're half-right. The FCP has no "real power" in that it can't veto a minister or draft a law. The clue is in the name - Firearms Consultative Panel. They consult, they do not dictate.

I know :rolleyes: my point was that the vast majority of those they claim to represent don't even know that the FCP exists or what is being discussed until it has been "sorted"
    Now, if you have some idea that'd work that would let us veto a Minister, let's be having it.

Politics, no matter what part of life it's in ................. a dirty world I'd rather stay away from ;)
    Otherwise, you're just complaining about stuff the rest of us pointed out in 2005. (Seriously, 2005. You want the link?) edit: scratch that, it was 2007, not 2005. My bad)

Wow betide those who dare to complain about what people do in their name without asking them if they agree :eek:
    Truth is, once you accept it for what it is instead of what someone dreamt it should be able to do (a dream devoid of the concepts of democratic process by the way), and once you compare it to what we had before this point, you'll realise that it's worth a damn sight more than anyone has give it credit for. Even leaving aside the daft legislation it's saved us from (do you need to cite your dentist on your FCA1 form?), there's the point that the FCP is the first time the NGBs came together and worked together properly (or as well as they could, at any rate).

If I had to provide my dentist's details would it be any worse than having to provide my doctors details ?
    And remember - in five years, if the FCP goes away now, you'll be the one complaining that we need the FCP back.

Maybe, maybe not
    Now, those original points:

Yes, of course.I don't. I'm reporting what I'm seeing.As I said in the original post, it's not the best answer in the world. But compared to what some of us expected (given his past history with ICABS), it's a damn sight better than it could have been. It's noncommittal - not a win, not a loss.

Reporting what you see is fine BUT it is not the whole story ;)
    Not really - with 2012 only next year, the Olympics has a lot of clout at the moment. Only an idiot doesn't use the tools to hand if they're fit for purpose.

Olympics is important to your style of shooting, which is fine, BUT it is not that important to all the 200,000 members of the shooting community
    a bit more than 6 fl.lb.

Thanks, saves me having to do the calculations ;)
    If we could get 12 ft lbs, that'd be brilliant. Hunting wouldn't be the lead argument for that though - paintball would. (Paintball markers are 12 ft lb or so).

Paintball is irrelevant here, might as well mention golf :rolleyes:

If 12ft lbs was sought it would by default get what you want and I quarantee that you'd get LOTS of support from those 200,000 shooters and many more as you said above and as you rightly stated above it would revitalise the dealers trade in a heartbeat and this would solve many more problems than it might create.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

From a broader perspective, a 12 ft/lbs limit serves the dual purpose of introducing younger children to fieldsports and target shooting as it would cover everything, and personally I would love to see an avenue to legitimately teaching a thirteen year old to stalk rabbits, to handle firearms safely all without licensing issues (and Sparks is right. I would consider that a significant obstacle and I see it every year with people leaving college). The health of the sport would be assured, and I have to say, take away the licensing requirement and the need to go bother the FO and the super again and I'd be much more inclined to pick up an air rifle, either for target shooting or the odd bunny.

• Advertisement

OK so :rolleyes: you can have the last word on that one :p
    :p :pac:

However, a Super/Chief Super can now put ANY conditions they want on a licence. What's to stop them making this a condition?
    Well, Dunne for a start. They can put individual preconditions on individual licences, yes, but a blanket precondition is a no-no; and if they said you had to maintain a set standard in matches for your licence, I can't see any DC judge upholding that unless the standard was so low as to be basicly a competency test anyway.
    And to answer you're question an FCP Rep. intervened and it was sorted, but you already know that, I reckon ;)
    I actually didn't, but it's an interesting point to remember!
    And it will take a court case to resolve why I can have a rifle without danger to public safety but not a moderator. Pity they're not used in "Olympic shooting :D
    Centerfire rifles and pistols were still in use in the Olympics in '72, they were taken in anyway. The Olympic brand is a useful thing Bunny, but it's not omnipotent.
    Of course, DOJ don't read national papers ;)
    No, the Minister's PR people do. Embarrassing a Minister has side effects that aren't fun BS, you know this. And the Minister is the one who sets policy.
    I know :rolleyes: my point was that the vast majority of those they claim to represent don't even know that the FCP exists or what is being discussed until it has been "sorted"
    That's more a facet of the 2% problem than it is a conspiracy though - that thread in 2007 has a solid example of it, with someone complaining they'd not been told about the FCP invitation the NTSA received by the NTSA, when the NTSA had it on their website, front and center. The FCP's had two public conferences, it's been in the magazines and on here and talked about all over the place - if people don't know what it is, it's not because it hides itself away. Yes, its communications could be better - but that's a perennial problem shared by every aspect of shooting administration and the PTB in Ireland.
    Politics, no matter what part of life it's in ................. a dirty world I'd rather stay away from ;)
    So you've no ideas. Look, that's not a bad thing - I've no ideas as to what would let us veto a Minister either. It's just that I've spent some time looking, and I don't think there are any, by design (there's just no provision in the Constitution for doing that in Ireland).
    Once you accept that that's not possible, and see what you have to work within, the FCP stops looking like it's incompetent (or just not trying) and you see that anyone trying to do that job is going to be limited by law in what they can do, and frankly, the FCP's further towards a solution than anyone's been in the past. All we've managed till now has been either shady deals in back rooms with no transparancy which usually didn't benefit everyone, or people shouting and banging on tables and being ignored because they had no idea what the law allowed or prohibited (or even how the law worked in the first place - we've seen public protest meetings in the last few years where those who called the meetings didn't know really basic things like how bills progress through the Dail and Seanad to become law, or what could and couldn't be done during that process).
    If the choice is between quiet pragmatic work that does the best it's possible to do; or the traditional romantic Irish failure approach, I know which I prefer.
    Wow betide those who dare to complain about what people do in their name without asking them if they agree :eek:
    :p
    If I had to provide my dentist's details would it be any worse than having to provide my doctors details ?
    Yes. Because your dentist wasn't going to be asked about your teeth, but about your mental health. And no, I'm not kidding. There was a list of ten or eleven people who'd be asked about your mental state, including your GP (we saw that again of late thanks to the IMO's PR stunt), your psychologist or psychiatrist (which made some sense if you had one), various nurses, and I think your postman was on there at one point.
    Maybe, maybe not
    Well, it's up here now in black and white, so let's check back in five years :pac:
    Reporting what you see is fine BUT it is not the whole story ;)
    Says you, but I've yet to come across someone who thinks the FCP was a waste of time and who (a) knows what the FCP is, (b) knows what the FCP does, (c) knows what the law permits anyone to do in this area, and (d) isn't lying themselves or hasn't been lied to by people with an agenda that goes along the lines of "I didn't do it so it's ****e, now let me run things like a small fiefdom or I'll sue you".
    Olympics is important to your style of shooting, which is fine, BUT it is not that important to all the 200,000 members of the shooting community
    /facepalm
    It is if it's what gets them what they want.
    If it's not good enough that you get what you want, but you also have to get it using only the ideology that you prefer, you'll be waiting a looooong time to do what you want with what you want.

Pragmatism has a lot going for it Bunny, I wish people would give it a whirl sometime instead of just arguing because they prefer arguing to shooting.

Paintball is irrelevant here, might as well mention golf :rolleyes:
    Again, see above. Public opinion counts in this sort of thing Bunny, because this isn't us going to see the Minister about something that only affects a small subset of people. It's something that changes the laws that everyone works under and if 200,000 people like the change and 3.8million don't, then the change doesn't happen. But everyone and his cousin have gone paintballing for a stag party or something similar, they all understand that it's reasonably safe and harmless (barring taking off the mask and firing point-blank into your face or similar stupidity), and that's the argument for the 12 ft.lb that has more chance of success. Plus, there's a commercial aspect to that argument, and in this economy, that's a good thing.
    If 12ft lbs was sought it would by default get what you want
    If and only if 12 ft lbs was given. You're looking at it from the wrong end Bunny, you're looking at it from the far end of the process after a success; you need to look at it from this end of the process, with success far from assured.
    and I quarantee that you'd get LOTS of support from those 200,000 shooters and many more as you said above and as you rightly stated above it would revitalise the dealers trade in a heartbeat and this would solve many more problems than it might create.
    Yup. Now, that's 200,000 people supporting it. How do you get the other 3,800,000 people to support it? They don't hunt, they have no real interest in 12 ft.lbs because most of them don't know what a foot-pound is (half probably think it's a dance step from the 1950s).

I agree 100% de-restricting air rifles should be seriously considered.

I would love to get back into "Field Target" shooting, which I did years ago while living in London. It was cheap & challenging compared to even .22lr target shooting.

With the price of fullbore even .22lr ammo an air rifle would be the way to go :)

I reckon de-restricted air rifles should still ONLY be sold by RFD's and buyers details recorded as firearms and ammo are currently to facilitate Gardai tracing any potential misuse etc

From a broader perspective, a 12 ft/lbs limit serves the dual purpose of introducing younger children to fieldsports and target shooting as it would cover everything, and personally I would love to see an avenue to legitimately teaching a thirteen year old to stalk rabbits, to handle firearms safely all without licensing issues (and Sparks is right. I would consider that a significant obstacle and I see it every year with people leaving college). The health of the sport would be assured, and I have to say, take away the licensing requirement and the need to go bother the FO and the super again and I'd be much more inclined to pick up an air rifle, either for target shooting or the odd bunny.
    Yup, and I'd love to get 12 come in, and there's even the argument that 12 coming in would mean less people looking for smallbore rifles when an airgun was a better tool just because "erra, you might as well, it's the same licence anyways". The thing is, that makes sense to me, but I've been shooting for 17 years. It makes sense to you and to bunny and to all of us for the same reason.

But when was the last time anyone saw the Minister on a range while off-duty, shooting for fun?

It's more a sales pitch than a technical debate with these things. 7.5 gets the Olympic brand backing it in the year before the London Games. 12 has paintball and fewer smallbores being licenced. Frankly, I'll take either, but I know what has the better chance of being sold.

And remember, if we got 7.5, that doesn't mean we'll never, ever get 12. Nothing's carved in stone in legislation.

I reckon de-restricted air rifles should still ONLY be sold by RFD's and buyers details recorded as firearms and ammo are currently to facilitate Gardai tracing any potential misuse etc
    Actually, that mechanism is already in place, it tracks Airsoft sales at the moment. And if they can have the growth they have with that, then it can't be the worst thing in the world.

So the parts are all in place for this, the arguments are solid and the benefits are well-known and established throughout europe. Now "all" that has to be done is to sell the Minister on the idea.

Which is, as I said, a sales pitch, not a technical debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have to say, as nice as it'd be to pick up a little rimfire sporter for bunny bashing, I reckon that in a lot of cases, I'd kill a lot of rabbits with an air rifle, stalking hedges, and that could be even more satisfying, so say nothing of the cheapness. Bunnies at two cent a pop? Happy out! :)

I agree 100% de-restricting air rifles should be seriously considered.

I would love to get back into "Field Target" shooting, which I did years ago while living in London. It was cheap & challenging compared to even .22lr target shooting.

With the price of fullbore even .22lr ammo an air rifle would be the way to go :)

How long do you think it would be until an air rifle fell into the hands of a lowlife and it hit the front of the papers , it was only a short while ago the " pierce street sniper" was on the radio and in the papers , With all the usual misinformed nonsense being spouted by so called experts. I don't see it happening anytime soon.Though i would love a match air pistol.

rowa wrote: »
    How long do you think it would be until an air rifle fell into the hands of a lowlife and it hit the front of the papers
    About minus ten years.
    It's happened before. The AGS go after the scumbag, not the airgun. I don't think we ever heard of the Pearse St. incident again, not at the FCP table anyway (or at least, I've never heard any of the FCP reps mention it in the interim).
    Plus, the week they introduced the 1J limit that deregulated airsoft, some gurrier cycled past some gardai in dublin and shot a female Garda in the face. That didn't get the 1J limit revoked, it got the gurrier arrested and hauled up in front of the DC.
    So yes, it's an issue, and it's the first thing I'd expect to see raised in any discussion on the matter; but it's not an automatic shut-down of the issue either. But it does require pragmatism, and it does require level heads and it definitely requires not having spent the last ten years banging on tables and shouting and asking if the Minister/AGS/whomever has 'lost it'.

Well, Dunne for a start. They can put individual preconditions on individual licences, yes, but a blanket precondition is a no-no; and if they said you had to maintain a set standard in matches for your licence, I can't see any DC judge upholding that unless the standard was so low as to be basicly a competency test anyway.

That's fine if you can, or even want to, go to the DC. How many people just give in? A fair few I know have :(
    I actually didn't, but it's an interesting point to remember!

Why am I worried :(
    ............ The Olympic brand is a useful thing Bunny.........

Suppose so
    No, the Minister's PR people do. Embarrassing a Minister has side effects that aren't fun BS, you know this. And the Minister is the one who sets policy.

He's a politican. How could you embarrass him :P
    That's more a facet of the 2% problem than it is a conspiracy though - that thread in 2007 has a solid example of it, with someone complaining they'd not been told about the FCP invitation the NTSA received by the NTSA, when the NTSA had it on their website, front and center. The FCP's had two public conferences, it's been in the magazines and on here and talked about all over the place - if people don't know what it is, it's not because it hides itself away. Yes, its communications could be better - but that's a perennial problem shared by every aspect of shooting administration and the PTB in Ireland.

Maybe :(
    So you've no ideas. Look, that's not a bad thing - I've no ideas as to what would let us veto a Minister either. It's just that I've spent some time looking, and I don't think there are any, by design (there's just no provision in the Constitution for doing that in Ireland).
    Once you accept that that's not possible, and see what you have to work within, the FCP stops looking like it's incompetent (or just not trying) and you see that anyone trying to do that job is going to be limited by law in what they can do, and frankly, the FCP's further towards a solution than anyone's been in the past. All we've managed till now has been either shady deals in back rooms with no transparancy which usually didn't benefit everyone, or people shouting and banging on tables and being ignored because they had no idea what the law allowed or prohibited (or even how the law worked in the first place - we've seen public protest meetings in the last few years where those who called the meetings didn't know really basic things like how bills progress through the Dail and Seanad to become law, or what could and couldn't be done during that process).
    If the choice is between quiet pragmatic work that does the best it's possible to do; or the traditional romantic Irish failure approach, I know which I prefer.

Veto the Minister is not what I envisage or would I condone. BUT he has to remember his opinion is not the only opinion too!
    :pYes. Because your dentist wasn't going to be asked about your teeth, but about your mental health. And no, I'm not kidding. There was a list of ten or eleven people who'd be asked about your mental state, including your GP (we saw that again of late thanks to the IMO's PR stunt), your psychologist or psychiatrist (which made some sense if you had one), various nurses, and I think your postman was on there at one point.

Sure they may as well have added my gun dog too he knows more about my shooting than the postman :P .................... Cripes hope DOJ don't read this and think that's a good idea :eek::D
    Well, it's up here now in black and white, so let's check back in five years :pac:

:eek: :p
    Says you, but I've yet to come across someone who thinks the FCP was a waste of time and who (a) knows what the FCP is, (b) knows what the FCP does, (c) knows what the law permits anyone to do in this area, and (d) isn't lying themselves or hasn't been lied to by people with an agenda that goes along the lines of "I didn't do it so it's ****e, now let me run things like a small fiefdom or I'll sue you".

Some of your points may have merit :P
    /facepalm
    It is if it's what gets them what they want.
    If it's not good enough that you get what you want, but you also have to get it using only the ideology that you prefer, you'll be waiting a looooong time to do what you want with what you want.

Must be an Irish thing :P
    ..........Plus, there's a commercial aspect to that argument, and in this economy, that's a good thing.

I agree.
    If and only if 12 ft lbs was given. You're looking at it from the wrong end Bunny, you're looking at it from the far end of the process after a success; you need to look at it from this end of the process, with success far from assured.

I'm looking at it from MY end ;)
    Yup. Now, that's 200,000 people supporting it. How do you get the other 3,800,000 people to support it? They don't hunt, they have no real interest in 12 ft.lbs because most of them don't know what a foot-pound is (half probably think it's a dance step from the 1950s).

One for everyone in the audience? :)

That's fine if you can, or even want to, go to the DC. How many people just give in? A fair few I know have :(
    Yeah, and that's a problem, and it's what the FPU is supposed to address (and to be fair, they do - they just don't have a perfect success record yet)
    Why am I worried :(
    And why I don't like the idea of the FCP going away. Hence the inclusion of that point in my letter.
    He's a politican. How could you embarrass him :P
    The way Deasy did to Ahern.
    Maybe :(
    Yup :(
    Veto the Minister is not what I envisage or would I condone. BUT he has to remember his opinion is not the only opinion too!
    Actually, that's kindof the point of his job. He takes opinion from everyone (or is meant to) and then goes with whatever he decides is the best solution. That's what he's supposed to do, it's what the job is all about. Now we've seen people abuse that for years - taking what they decided was the best solution for them - but the system remains unchanged today. And we have to work within that.
    Sure they may as well have added my gun dog too he knows more about my shooting than the postman :P .................... Cripes hope DOJ don't read this and think that's a good idea :eek:
    And there you have the official role of the FCP all laid out :)
    Some of your points may have merit :P
    Some? :P :pac:
    Must be an Irish thing :P
    I agree.
    There's too much agreeing going on here, we're going to hurt other people's brains...
    I'm looking at it from MY end ;)
    Which is the far end, after a success, when getting to use the outcome :D
    One for everyone in the audience? :)
    Pretty much...

• Advertisement

There's too much agreeing going on here, we're going to hurt other people's brains......

They know it won't last :P ;)

Advertisement