Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable Expectation

• 20-01-2011 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

If a fee has been paid for a service, can it be argued in principle that a contract has been made?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Or a quasi contract

but of course it depends on the facts

Contracts normally require offer/acceptance/consideration,

and contracts for land must be made or evidenced in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

I applied to a legal authority, the Private Residential Tenancies Board, for help in a claim of illegal eviction that I was making.

In order to proceed they required me to fill out an application form and to pay a nominal fee. In the literature that they had included with the forms was a document that explained the PRTB's processes and made certain assurances with regard to the integrity of the service they were providing.

They offered me a service at a price that I paid which seems to satisfy the conditions for making a contract.

If it can be shown that the service provided was not of the quality of the service promised such as to bring about an injustice, is it reasonable to say that a breach of contract has occured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

No you didn't form a contract with the PRTB.

The PRTB is authorized by law (rules made under the residential tenancies act) to charge a fee before dealing with a reference.

Same way when you pay stamp duty for court you don't form a contract with the court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

gabhain7 wrote: »
    No you didn't form a contract with the PRTB.

The PRTB is authorized by law (rules made under the residential tenancies act) to charge a fee before dealing with a reference.

Same way when you pay stamp duty for court you don't form a contract with the court.

I understand. Thank you.

Advertisement