Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to break lease 1 month early, have I any rights?

Options
  • 20-01-2011 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

So I need advice..My Mother died on christmas eve leaving me with no choice but to move home to take care of my elderly dad..this will meaning breaking my lease 1 month early..Im gonna give the letting agent (I've never met the landlord ) 1 months notice on feb 1st,my lease is up on March 1st..Does this mean the agents can withold the full deposit? I don't want to pull on heartstrings or be seen as trying to scam the letting agency..I will have to move home either way so I just wanted to know what my rights where..thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nearyj

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Check out the national Housing organisation. The following link offers advice on how to get your deposit back.

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=244

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If your lease is up on Mar 1st, Feb 1st is the date you're supposed to tell them if you're not planning on renewing the lease. I don't see that there's any reason you should lose the deposit except for any damages over regular wear and tear. Unless i'm misunderstanding, you're not breaking the lease early, as it runs til March 1st anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lorcanot

one months notice is all that is required. has to be written and keep a copy for yourself. damage etc will be aken from deposit.

Advertisement