Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flusher on toilet stopped working

• 20-01-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi I have a Shires toilet I think it's from B & Q - it's a 2 button flusher with a light and heavy flush. The toilet was slow to fill yesterday so one of the people in the house took off the lid and started playing with it, and somehow managed to stop the flusher from working.

The buttons push a kind of trigger thingy that in turn pushes a wire which raises the flushing plunger thingy, thus releasing the water. However the trigger thingy isn't coming back, or more precisely the wire to the flushing plunger isn't returning to it's original position, which means the buttons can't reach the trigger. It seems like the wire gets stuck when it's supposed to return. I tried pulling it back manually but no joy.

Anyone familiar with this mechanism? I hope I'm describing it ok. I've attached a pic of the inside. I'm wondering can the wire/flushing mechanism can be replaced or is there anything else that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Unless the person totally fooked it up it just sounds like the wire is kinked or it has come away from the button. its hard to say without seeing pictures of the button where the wire goes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

Unless the person totally fooked it up it just sounds like the wire is kinked or it has come away from the button. its hard to say without seeing pictures of the button where the wire goes etc

Hi Joey, it seems like the plastic piece that holds the end of the wire might be cracked or broken somehow. The pic might show it better. There's a little ball attached to the wire that slots into the end of the trigger.

So I get home this evening to find the attic tank empty, which meant electric showers not working, toilets not flushing, no water in taps...and airlocks to go along with all that. Caused by...the plunger in the cistern being raised causing the water to continuously trickle into the toilet bowl, thus draining the tank...great!

Do you know if this mechanism is available to buy in B&Q or anywhere else?

Cheers.

Advertisement